A request: printable manual

CptWasp

A bit offtopic but I find the manual is lacking anyway (anyway I agree the game should include a printable version, even if I wouldn't print it), that's why we constantlly find ourshelves here in the forum how the game works or is supposed to wiork.

A deeper insight on the game mechancis would be nice. Or as someone suggested (the first one was Dorosh I think), some sort of design notes. Well, maybe for WWII title when the engine is more settled and finished we can have somethign along these liens, it won't be very usefull for us who are allready starting to comprenhend how the game works, but it will be usefull for new comers or these who come back.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Thank GOD, I own the Battlefront boxed version, however the printed manual is an awful b/w and difficult to read thing.

This "not printer friendly" thing is another example of how badly things can be done.

But the "you cant do it" thing is simply silly. Learn how to deal with customers.

Originally posted by Huntarr:

...or you order the game that has the manual inside?..

Or, if two publishers are manufacturing the same product, they should go through at least the minimal cooperation necessary to provide the customer with the same materials and data - to avoid confusion about which box will get update support quicker, which box has the 'real manual', or why some people have a campaign called "TF Lightning" while others have one called "TF Thunder", etc etc.

Originally posted by J_Toe:

Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread but is any one still interested in a B+W manual and if so, is there any official word from BFC if I can post it?

Well as I read it (about halfway down the first page of this thread):

Originally posted by Rune:

This has been covered in a thread before. The answer is No officially. I'll see if I can find the thread and post it here, I know madmatt answered.

Rune

You have already been told “No”.

• 1 month later...

I recall waaaaay back in CMBO-release days the 'official' stated reason for limiting reproducability of the manual was to make life difficult for game bootleggers. But that was pre-PDF, and printer technology has considerably advanced since then. That reasoning may be less relevant, but a thumb-in-the-eye to bootleggers may still be their main rational.

Besides, the game's really pretty intuitive. All i use the manual for nowadays is figuring out which combination of 'unit' and 'quality' in the editor will get me a T55MV.

As a several time purchaser from battlefront games, who was considering purchasing this game as well, this discussion has basically guaranteed that I will not. I am stunned by what seems an extremely calloused attitude towards their customers. That is, unless I am just totally not understanding something here..Is there anyone who can give an actual defense for what appears to be a stance of"go to hell customers?" here? Or someone please explain how I am mistaken. I am a huge fan and would love to give BFC the benefit of the doubt, if I can even find a reason...

Yes, abneo3sierra. The attitude of some members (but I never had a direct response from Battlefront, note! so maybe they will still consider my request) is really disappointing. A user has the RIGHT to print his manual. I will write the review of the game for NWI, and obviously I will consider this evident shortcoming.

I "popped up" the thread because other users of NWI pointed out this problem, and no one was in doubt about the fact that this was a shame and an incredible manner to lose customers smile.gif

If a user modifies the manual and Battlefront "battles" against that user, I think this would be a ridicolous manner to kick away a lot of gamers.

Battlefront, don't miss this occasion to clarify your real intentions about customer caring.

"...an extremely calloused attitude towards their customers."

Wow. Not the BFC I know. They supply a full 196 page printed manual and a duplicate PDF manual, and throw in a full mission editor and an exe for cracking the .brz file, and make it so reworking the textures is a breeze. Okay, so the pdf can't easily be printed out. That's not exactly the end of the world. To refuse to purchase a game because you can't print the PDF means you're just looking for any excuse to not buy the game. Okay, this is your excuse.

I am interested in whether or not you actually are speaking for Battlefront gibsonm..

On a side note, if you are actually in the RAAC what unit are you with?

As to your post, not certain if it was aimed at me. I do own acrobat plus..and am quite certain I can easily do this, that is a minor point. The more pressing point for me is a company that can blatantly tell it's customers to go to hell. From my vantage point, that is what I see here. I prefer to be wrong.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

"...an extremely calloused attitude towards their customers."

Wow. Not the BFC I know. They supply a full 196 page printed manual and a duplicate PDF manual, and throw in a full mission editor and an exe for cracking the .brz file, and make it so reworking the textures is a breeze. Okay, so the pdf can't easily be printed out. That's not exactly the end of the world. To refuse to purchase a game because you can't print the PDF means you're just looking for any excuse to not buy the game. Okay, this is your excuse.

Actually, if you are the Mikey D that does the great mods for CMBB..nice to meet you, I love your work.

Not the BFC I know either, I am a many times happy customer..CMBB, Strategic Command, TACOPS, TOW..if anything I have looked for reasons TO purchase the games. As a military officer myself I enjoy the realism they infuse in their products. The manual or no manual, is not a deal killer..the deal killer is that from here, they seem to be telling their customers to get lost. I hope not, and would accept pretty much ANY reason, but they should have a reason.

Thanks

MikeyD,

Did you read the initial post by CptWasp that started this thread?

"I own the Paradox version of CMSF, and the printed manual covers only the first part of the pdf manual. So I would like to print the second part on my own"

Some people would like to have a printed copy of the PDF (or a manual) so that they can refer to it as needed. I personally prefer to have a PDF that I can do a search in, but others like to have a hard copy.

Why are you so harsh? The support you showed for BFC was great until you took the opportunity to slam the poster with the last two sentences.

If you get mad at people for bashing BFC and showing negativity then you should also withhold unnecessary negativity when supporting BFC, IMHO.

1. No, I’m not.

2. Yes. Well look me up in PMKeyS, otherwise you don’t need to know.

3. No just you, but to you “CptWasp“ and anyone else who went the route of buying the cheaper non printed manual version and now want one for free.

They didn’t tell you to go to hell. You had an option, IIRC, to buy the physical product with a book or the cheaper downloadable copy.

I gather people who bought the cheap version now want a printed manual and are upset that the PDF isn’t in black and white and therefore easy to print off.

You get what you pay for.

Originally posted by gibsonm:

Well why don’t you put your neck on the line, buy Acrobat Professional (yes spend some money) and publish the results and see what happens.

Instead of expecting someone else to do it, take all the risk and you get a free copy?

I certainly wont be using my copy to make one.

Do you ever think about the effect your continuous snippy comments in numerous threads have on customers? Probably not. This game needs all the help it can get after the bad start it's had. You are not helping.

Originally posted by gibsonm:

1. No, I’m not.

2. Yes. Well look me up in PMKeyS, otherwise you don’t need to know.

3. No just you, but to you “CptWasp“ and anyone else who went the route of buying the cheaper non printed manual version and now want one for free.

They didn’t tell you to go to hell. You had an option, IIRC, to buy the physical product with a book or the cheaper downloadable copy.

I gather people who bought the cheap version now want a printed manual and are upset that the PDF isn’t in black and white and therefore easy to print off.

You get what you pay for.

Actually, I always pay for the best, and just stumbled on to what appeared was BFC telling their customers to get lost. Your argument does actually shed light on that subject, and I understand somewhat a reason there.If you had taken the time to read my post however, you would have seen I had not yet bought this product. Do not make instant assumptions I "purchased the cheap version" next time.

As for your RAAC, mine was professional curiousity as a Capt in the US 101st. Your attitude however is not what I saw in my dealings with Aussies. But, I can see your side of the argument at least now, and it helps knowing that it was another customer saying go to hell, rather than the company. I would be a mite angry if I paid more for a product and then saw everyone trying to get the extra as a freebie also.

Regards

I suspect I’m actually coming down with a mid case of “Stockholm Syndrome” as being on the Beta test team we get to see a whole heap of stuff the BTS/ BFC is trying to do but they just keep getting slammed by people who bought the product from Paradox or whoever and then want BTS / BFC to pick up the pieces.

And if they respond then they have to be aware of the PR consequences.

Any way I’m on a staff now but my last Corps job was Regt 2IC.

Cheers.