Time scale for Normandy game…… not a whinge ;).

Hi,

Just curious what the time scale may be for the Normandy game?

I must quickly add that I am a fan of CMSF but I do remember that one of the design objectives of CMX2 was a far quicker turn round in new games… plus all those modules as a bonus to keep us going.. smile.gif .

So this is friendly request for information… no more.

Looking forward to many more CMX2 games and modules…

All good fun,

All the best,

Kip.

MobHit,

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does BF have any estimate on time when they might plan to do WWII CM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, but we want to think it over some more before we toss it out to you guys. What I can say is that it shouldn't be more than a year before it is in your hands. 1 year between major releases (aka "Titles") is the general plan we are shooting for.

Steve

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=002776;p=3

I am not Steve, but I did stay in a holiday inn express...

Hi,

Thanks for the link…. there have been so many threads kicking about that I must have missed it…

Also in the thread you linked too… even better news…

Steve posted

“I'm an East Front grog, hence CMBB being such a monster. Expect something East Front from CMx2, I just can't say when.”

Now that really is news… last I had heard Steve was a little in doubtful it would happen as surprisingly the Eastern Front is no that big a seller. Steve described it as “niche” in another thread.

Great stuff,

All the best,

Kip.

Originally posted by kipanderson:

...surprisingly the Eastern Front is no that big a seller.

That is a bit of a surprise. Maybe the market just got glutted on the East Front. It's been a huge item in board games forever though. I think it may have something to do with the fact that there have been an awful lot of Hollywood productions showing a US-centric view of the war, and that has made that aspect a recent hot item among the younger (30 and under) crowd.

Michael

Steve has mentioned in the past that East Front games are not huge sellers in the U.S. because there are no americans in it.

To me the East Front announcement is the biggest news in that thread since it is my favorite WW2 theater, although I see it more as an expression of interest at this point rather than an official announcement.

If they keep to their one major title per year schedule, we may be playing CM:KURSK in summer 2009. :D

The WW2 title with all the bugs and features sorted out will be an awesome game.

Slower paced, better infantry behaviour(hopefully), less CPU intensive than the complex virtual modern battlefield, nail bitting tank duels, shorter engagement ranges-more interesting gameplay, mortars, AT guns, water etc. And all this in RealTime!

Hope they 'll find a way to further fine tune the LOS grid so the classic hull down duels will be back without the shooting through terrain occuring.

What i'd like to see is the original title take us through the liberation of Paris. Good for them since they'd still get some breathing room before havin to do snow. Next title woud be snowy with the Bulge battles i guess. Would that title take us over the Rhine as well? 3rd title - Eastern Front (Berlin battles?) since they've got all the late war German armor and German terrain modeled. Would they be temped to do the Eastern Front arse-backwards, starting with already done late war armor then working their way back title-by-title into the earlier marks of tanks?

Bulge battles sound more like an addon to the first WWII game than a single title.

Don't forget each game will have at least one expasion pack (probably more, two or three), so 44'-45' Western Front title will have a couple of expansion opacks in the same theather I think.

all this remain to be seen yet. I want CMSF fixed before AND TUNNED, and more modern warfare addons to the current game, come one, don't you enjoy a break from WWII? i allways wanted to play a modern warfare game of this kind, and with this setting and arsenal a lot of conflicts can be modelled, so there is a lot of room for official expansion as well as community works

now, when the content unpacker BF? so modders can start modding textures & stuff

Originally posted by MikeyD:

What i'd like to see is the original title take us through the liberation of Paris. Good for them since they'd still get some breathing room before havin to do snow. Next title woud be snowy with the Bulge battles i guess. Would that title take us over the Rhine as well? 3rd title - Eastern Front (Berlin battles?) since they've got all the late war German armor and German terrain modeled. Would they be temped to do the Eastern Front arse-backwards, starting with already done late war armor then working their way back title-by-title into the earlier marks of tanks?

I see no reason that the first title can't take us through Sept 44 and Market-Garden. My estimation is it'll go something like this:

Initial game: US and Wehrmacht Forces.

Module one: British and Canadians and the SS for the Germans along with a British Campaign.

Module two: Paratroops for US and British and Fallschirmjaegers for the Germans with a new Market-Garden campaign.

Module three. French including resistance fighters,Poles and additional German units. Along with a new campaign for somebody.

I too had the idea that the second WWII title might be Fall of Germany Spring '45 with US initial title, then Commonwealth and then Soviet modules. This would allow everyone to play with late war tanks some of which we haven't seen since CMBO.

I have a hunch though that after France 44 the next title may be pre-twentieth century.

I have a hunch though that after France 44 the next title may be pre-twentieth century.
Yeah with 5 planned games at the moment, of which 2 are suppose to be WWII, I doubt they will do WWII back to back. I imagine the fifth game, when the sales have likely lost the casual gamer anyway, will go to Eastern Front.

I expect Space Lobsters before pre-20th, but those are what I expect the two after WWII to be.