My (semi) beef with CMSF

Where can one find real quality info about about modern small unit tactics? Global security is my best bet. Seems like most stuff you hear about the American military is more or less propaganda about weapons systems. Hey, the f-16 is a great plane but when the smallest bomb it carries is 500lbs and there some 16-year old 50m away shoving an AK in your face you are SOL.

Unless of course you are one of those crazy bastards from Operation Anaconda

"Woah, that one almost got us. Can you get 'em any closer?"

Dillweed, what exactly are you after? There are plenty of interest books and documents on the subject if you know where to look.

Although I havnt recieved my copy yet Ive heard good things about the following documentary which was aired on the history channel a couple of months back...it looks at the situation and tactics used in Fallujah in recent months.

http://store.aetv.com/html/product/index.jhtml?id=74135&browseCategoryId=

Dan

Dillweed, go to amazon and try a search under Iraq or Fallujah for some personal accounts of recent combat. I havnt read either of the below but I think I may order them myself....

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0891418806/qid=1128835820/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-5449955-0518547?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0553804022/qid=1128835820/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-5449955-0518547?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Hope they provide you with a start! smile.gif

Dan

One of my most favorite sites for studying modern tactical combat is the Armor Magazine home site.

The articles (available through the drop down on the left hand side frame) discuss and analyse mainly US armored combat in a modern environment.

In particular, there is plenty about combat in Iraq (and thus may be relevant for Syria as well).

Dragons at War is out of print, IIRC, but it is an excellent book. Gives a good sense of how the best laid plans with the best equipment can go terribly wrong.

As for more current and relevant stuff, there are tons of things on the Internet to find. I wish I saved the links to the stuff I've downloaded over the last 2 years, but i didn't :( Search on things like "Lessons Learned" and "OIF, AAR" and other such stuff. Plenty of no-BS stuff out there, including highly critical official reports from the front. There is a lot of cheerleading stuff out there too, for sure, but certainly that isn't all that there is to find.

One note of caution... check the date of whatever you read very carefully. Some stuff written in the late 1990s is perfectly applicable to today, but other stuff written in 2001 is completely out the window. After a while you'll get a good sense for this if you're decent at historical research.

Steve

Oh, another thought. The USMC has done an amazing job with documenting and publishing their "Lessons Learned" in a very timely manner. Very good stuff to sift through. However, make sure to figure out what stuff is applicable to CM:SF's initial contact focus compared to Counter Insurgency or Peace and Stability Ops. These are all very different environments, though of course they share a lot of common traits.

Steve

Is there a point when as the Americans you can say, "Fuggit, let's just nukem?"

Back in Emrys day, everyone would have nuked everyone else had they the chance. Civil War? Nuke Petersburg. WWI? Nuke the Somme. WWII? Nuke Nuke Nuke. Pick a spot and drop a nuke.

Now in these days of touchy feely warfare it's all about hearts and minds. I say kick some butt and the hearts and mind will follow. I know these views aren't popular...

BFS5

Edit drunken malapropism

[ October 09, 2005, 06:28 AM: Message edited by: Barrold ]

Originally posted by Barrold:

Is there a point when as the Americans you can say, "Fuggit, let's just nukem?"

Back in Emrys day, everyone would have nuked everyone else had they the chance. Civil War? Nuke Petersburg. WWI? Nuke the Somme. WWII? Nuke Nuke Nuke. Pick a spot and drop a nuke.

Now in these days of touchy feely warfare it's all about hearts and minds. I say kick some butt and the hearts and mind will follow. I know these fews aren't popular...

BFS5

They say with power comes responsibility.. :D Let the one without enemy cast the first nuke... :D:D