Tech question - CMSF & widescreen monitor?

I have a new computer coming (Dell 720 series) that is pretty maxed out -

However, CMSF isn't set to run with widescreen monitors....is this correct?

And what exactly does that mean? Is it a show-stopper if you have a widescreen? (this will be the first widescreen LCD monitor I have owned). Or can you still play CMSF on a widescreen....it simply won't be optimited to take full advantage of such a monitor?

Thanks

I recently acquired a new Samsung SyncMaster 9312BW widescreen monitor and it looks great on it. In the Options menu, just set the game resolution to desktop and it displays widescreen. For this monitor that 1400x800. Here's a full screen picture for you...

farmour5.jpg

As you can see, there's no stretching, it's just wider. So don't worry about that widescreen monitor, laddie.

Originally posted by Martin Krejcirik:

I'd like too see a windowed mode support for CMSF. I have a wide screen TV as a second monitor, but I can't use it because Windows can't use secondary monitor in fullscreen mode.

Windows?

I have used 2 monitors for some time with Windows XP.

If your video card has this option then I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Once this is set up it's all full screen anyway.

-

????

Other people mentioned brand names so I did too.

Its actually connected via a KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) switch so I can flick between the no frills PC that I run CM:SF on most of the time, a G4 machine so I can run CMX1 under OS 9, a G5 which is the File Server (running OS X Server) at home and my MacBook Pro which I use 90% of the time in OX S.

All of which I can use with a single screen, keyboard and mouse.

So three Apple machines and a PC all happily using the one screen.

Is that better? smile.gif

Martin Krejcirik -

What videocard do you have ? There is an option for Nvidia drivers in the Nvidia Control Panel > 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings > Global Settings > Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration > setting this to "multiple display performance mode" MIGHT allow for CMSF to work across more than one monitor. I haven't tried it myself, so there is actually a very good possibility that it won't work.

You may also need to mess around with how the drivers manage your two displays. In the Nvidia Control Panel > Display > Setup multiple displays > you may need to select "As one large horizontal desktop (Horizontal span)". This means that the Taskbar along the bottom of the screen will span both displays and the System tray with the time clock in it will be on the far right display. This in essence gives you one large resolution and it may be possible for CMSF to use the "Desktop Resolution" setting and use up both screens. However this may not really work all too well. If it does work, it will definitely slow down your videocard since you'll be running a MUCH higher resolution. Plus you'll need to deal with the 'bezel' of the two monitors in the middle of your display.