Knocking down walls

I've seen quite a few videos on You Tube and Live Leak from Iraq that have shown an armoured vehicle driving into a wall in order to knock a section down to create a breach. This seems much more safe and cost effective than blasting a hole in it, like we have to do in CM:SF.

When can we see this simulated in the game?

My suggestion on how to implement this:

Avoid vehicles unintentionally crashing into and breaching walls by having a new movement command, called "Breach". This would be a bit like the infantry "Blast" command. The start and end waypoints would have to be close to each side of the wall. Once the order is given, the vehicle drives up to the wall, it collapses after a couple of seconds, and then the vehicle drives through. If you didn't want to drive through the breach you could cancel the order as soon as the wall falls down (obviously more suited to RT than PBEM).

In theory you could use the command to breach building exterior walls as well, in which case obviously the vehicle would not enter the building but would just back away from the breach a couple of feet. In fact, it might be best if this is the default functionality, so that in order to go through a breached free-standing wall you have to give another move command.

[ June 07, 2008, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: Cpl Steiner ]

hm, this wasnt talked about since long time, is it still possible to "breach" walls in your "imagination" when reverseing the vehicle just a bit thorugh a wall or a house wall and unloading the guys directly in there or behind the wall.

i never tried it as i consider it as a exploit and its not made to work that way, but people did it and reported that it worked already one month after the game came out. so...

• 4 months later...

People have wished vehicles could go over low walls too. BFC's response to both is usually the same - unless its under a controlled situation busting down a facade or going over a low wall introduced the real risk of getting hung-up, or breaking a track, or something equally embarrassing happening. There was footage on net net of a Humvee busting in a metal gate while chasing a fleeing insurgent. Good news, the insurgent was captured - bad news, the humvee bashed and wrecked its transmission and the vehicle commander got into a fistfight with the driver on-tape. :eek::rolleyes:

Since Huntarr asked, I think BFC should do a separate module that includes the following features drones, medics, Excalibur arty, and ENGINEERING VEHICLES. It would do more to expand the gameplay than almost anything else they could do for the blue side. It would allow completely different scenarios. Not least the building of the wall through Sadr City. All of the above are very important in real world operations.