Why Vehicles Need a Hold Fire Order

Why Vehicles Need a Hold Fire Order!

I'm moving a Stryker up to a building to off load some infantry, who's job it is to go to the roof, and shoot the tanks down the road with their ATM's. Instead one of the enemy tanks down the street moves but doesn't see my units, then my Stryker opens fire with a 12.7mm gun against a T-72 Tank, which then turns, fires and kills not only the Stryker, but also 2/3 of the infantry which were dismounting. The Stryker would have gotten away if it didn't open fire and was dumb, dumb, dumb because there is no way in hell your gona take out a T72 with a 12.7 MG. :rolleyes:

If anything it should have held fire and popped smoke. I really wish Shock Force had Tac Ops type orders so you could tell a unit what to do when it sees the enemy but, I'll settle for a hold fire order!!! ;)

Firing the 12.7mm has a good chance of killing an exposed tank commander. Smoke wouldn't activate quick enough to do any good and many times firing smoke self-kills the vehicle anyway (bug). Moving out of LoS is the only real chance for the Stryker. I think the behavior to fire at the T72 is correct and I also believe as time passes the self-preservation will improve to include retreating vehicles against unbeatable threats.

I don't think you've picked a good example for a "hold fire" order.

Originally posted by Moon:

Issue a really small Cover Arc if you want to keep your units from engaging.

Martin

Which is irrelevant to the example in the first post. We're talking about defensive AI behaviour, not command-based strategy. metalbrew is correct; the TacAI should reverse vehicles to retreat from obvious unbeatable threats.

However, in the instance above, if the T-72 hasn't spotted the Stryker, is it an "unbeatable threat"? The joys of desigining a TacAI I suppose.

[ August 31, 2007, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

I remember in CMX1 APC's or lightly skinned vehicles would try and retreat if up against superior vehicles. Also tanks would also retreat if they were broken or routed.

I have not got my copy of the game yet, smile.gif Veronica and I are still anxiously waiting.

Im no computer expert... not even close but Im a Miltary person thru and thru. It sounds like when a APC is in contact with a MBT or serious threat, it does nothing until commanded. (Which I totaly understand, its a game)However maybe it should automaticaly re-act instinctivly when it realizes or is in LOS with a threat. Then the APC I agree would fire at the threat. (there is no way you dont know it has not seen you. If you can see it, it can possibly see you!) Except if not equiped with NV or Thermal.

If I was in the APC I would blaze at it with the 12.7mm hoping I did damage to optics or the Commander, or anyone not buttoned up. If I had TOW I would then fire that, and back the hell out of the way, behind building or something.

I know in CMx1 they would retreat and pop smoke at the same time.

The modern battlefield usually popping smoke not only will cover your movement (its alot of smoke I think 3000 cubic feet not sure) but will also dispense a chaff like substance to defeat lazing so they can not laze you thru the smoke while you retreat out of harms way.

I think this is what our author would like to see, but not sure how you computer wizards smile.gif would patch that into the game. smile.gif

Semper FI from

Veronica and Juergen!

[ August 31, 2007, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: VeronicaJGD ]

I dont think any smart Stryker crewman would stop and think, "maybe if I shoot my .50cal at this T-72, I might dammage his sensors/kill someone who is unbuttoned". In real life they would probably say "O, S&*#!",pop smoke and try to get out of LOS ASAP with as little fuss and contact as possible. Besides, how many of your .50cal rounds do you think would actually hit the T-72 while you are freaking out and trying to get away? The smoke works very fast these days, it definately would help give an instant screen.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by C'Rogers:

Which is irrelevant to the example in the first post.

But not irrelevant to the subject heading.

If you're suggesting people post replies to threads without reading the posts in them first, I disagree with your advice. </font>