Defense Contracts

FFE

You are missing the point. They are NOT trying resemble real world tactical situations, they are reinforcing the proper use of teamwork and capabilities to acheive a specific goal.

That kind of training really doesn't even require a military simulation or game.

The important thing to remember here is that they are dealing with 18-24 year old who are more likely to play the FPS and clickfest as a pasttime. Take that "fun factor" to the next level with guidance and learning objectives, and you have a VERY effective learning tool.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by FAI:

I thought the click-fest type RTS don't remotely resemble real world tactical situations... Or are they?

That is a narrow-minded view on the subject, making the assumption that tactics are the only thing that computer games can teach you. It all depends on what you are teaching. In theory yes, you could use something like World of Warcraft to hammer the importance of teamwork to the heads of men (and it would do it better than Combat Mission, even, because there is no teamwork aspect in CM). Just like you can use chess to give lessons on stress and decision making.

It's a totally different question whether it's the most effective way, though, but you could argue at least that it makes it more interesting for the trainees, making them pay better attention. Plus, if the fate of the free world ever would depend on which country could muster the best WoW clans...

I'm still trying to absorb the whole CM:SF thing, and I've read most (but not every word) of this thread, but one thing I don't know that I've seen mentioned is the ability of the 'other side' to use CM:SF also. I guess its easy to see the use of CM:SF as a training tool for US/NATO forces, and I hope Battlefront makes a mint this way.

But on the other hand, I imagine that the US has pretty good intellingence on the capabilities of the Syrian (or similar ME country) militaries. I'd also guess that the opposite is not necessarily true. Then wouldn't CM:SF be a pretty good training tool for how to take on a Stryker Brigade? I mean in the same way Flight Sims might have been used by 9/11 hijackers? Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

Originally posted by Spanish Bombs:

But on the other hand, I imagine that the US has pretty good intellingence on the capabilities of the Syrian (or similar ME country) militaries. I'd also guess that the opposite is not necessarily true.

What makes you think so? BFC can only use public sources (or else they'd be charged of treason), and I seriously doubt that Syrian military intelligence would have trouble gaining and evaluating far more information.

Originally posted by FAI:

I thought the click-fest type RTS don't remotely resemble real world tactical situations... Or are they?

Here's the part you missed:

Originally posted by B00M$LANG:

Even Battlefield 2 and Warhammer are being used by the US Military academy to teach squad-level tactics and teamwork.

This is the school where it takes only 1 cadet to change a lightbulb - but he gets 4 credit hours and it counts as a lab science. ;)tongue.gif;)

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Spanish Bombs:

But on the other hand, I imagine that the US has pretty good intellingence on the capabilities of the Syrian (or similar ME country) militaries. I'd also guess that the opposite is not necessarily true.

What makes you think so? BFC can only use public sources (or else they'd be charged of treason), and I seriously doubt that Syrian military intelligence would have trouble gaining and evaluating far more information. </font>