Where are saved game files stored?

c3k

Gents,

I have a surplus of saved game files showing in CMSF's menus. I want to delete a bunch of them. I am unable to do so directly through the menu. I am unable to do so using the scenario editor. I assume I will be able to delete them using windows and browsing to the directory. Of course, that also assumes that I could FIND the saved game files.

To what directory are saved games stored?

I have left all CMSF install options to default settings.

Thanks,

Ken

Melnibone,

Thanks, but, oddly, that file does not exist. Within the "Game Files" folder all I have are these three: Campaigns, Quick Battle Maps, and Scenarios.

This is despite having played a v1.07 game from scratch and saving it.

The saved game DOES show in cmsf menu.

This is odd.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Ken

The directory is “Saved Games” within whatever folder you chose to call your CM:SF installation.

Melnibone’s post above is correct if you accepted the default location (at least for XP Pro - don’t know if its different for Vista).

On my machine its:

C:\Games\Combat Mission Shock Force 1.07\Game Files\Saved Games

On my machine this has approx. 200 files in it.

Note this is a folder not a file and it is created by the installation process so you should have it.

Yes, you'd think I have it, especially since I never changed any of the default installation routines. Yet, the folder does NOT exist. I do have folders in Spanish, German and French. Some have outgoing and incoming email folders, some don't. My English folder does not. None of them have anything that contains my saved games.

Having searched for *.bts, I found them. They are buried; deeply buried. In a bizarre manner I seem to have duplicate directories. This is quite odd. If CMSF is trying to pull files from dual directories, that could be a reason for the crashes and issues.

Hmmm, if you're interested, I'll post the complete path/name.

Regards,

Ken

Are you running Windows Vista ? If so, then that is probably the cause of the 'strange directories'. I don't have a copy to run CMSF on, so I don't have the exact details. However I get the impression that the 'improved' security of Vista has resulted in a 'redirection' of the Saved Game files to a folder/directory that Vista considers you should have rights to (a 'user' directory). So instead of saving the files to a folder/directory that is part of the CMSF install, Vista instead saves the files to a directory within the user's folder. At least this is the impression that I get from what I've heard of others experiences with Vista and CMSF.

If you are running Vista looking in

Gamefiles/savedgames then at the top of that window click on Compatability files.

sfcomp.jpg

All my saved games reside there. You can manually move them if you want.

It appears to be some kind of partition seperating files added to the program subsequent to the intial loading from disc.

HTH

gibsonm,

Whereas you are correct, technically, about the gist of my statement in the other thread, putting "CM:SF sucks" in quotes makes it seem as if that is what I said. That may be how you took it. In that case, the quotes are misleading. I have not edited my original post if you're curious to check it out. I am quite disappointed with the many bugs and crashes due to CM:SF. In this case, the nvlddmkm problem, the fault is not BF.C's, hence my retraction. If you doubt that CMSF has been riddled with issues, I direct you to the last 6 months' worth of traffic on these forums.

So, I believe your use of quotes mischaracterizes my sentiments.

Regards,

Ken

Did you not notice the little word “effectively” in my post just before the “CM:SF sucks”?

I was conveying the intent (or “gist” to use your words) of your statement without typing it out in full.

However the closing comment from that post namely “Let me know when the game works.“ (not paraphased in any way) indicated to me that you thought this was all CM:SF’s fault.

I don’t need to re-read it (edited or not) as I responded to it when you wrote it.

You should also note that I included a direct link to your post so that people could read it in context and make up their own minds.

Anyway good luck sorting out your problem , you obviously don’t want / need my help.

Schrullenhaft,

You are correct. I am running Vista Ultimate x64. Somehow, in their wisdom, Microsoft has indeed taken control of installations away from me. I guess I didn't buy this OS, I'm merely leasing it.

It has created a Users directory filled with many unexpected files. Some are mirror images of the files on the root directories. ("Root" in the sense that they are the directories where you'd expect them.)

For example, I have C:\Program Files(x86)\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force\ with 8 folders. The 8 folders are: Archivos de juego; CMSF, Patches and Updates (this one was created by me); Data; Fichiers du jeu; Game Files; Misc; Mod Tools; Spieldateien.

Of those 8, I don't want the Spanish, French, or German language variants.

Inside the Game Files folder are 3 folders: Campaigns; Quick Battle Maps; Scenarios.

That is it.

Now, having searched for *.bts, I found the following: C:\Users\Ken (hey! that's me!)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files(x86)\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force\Game Files

Note that inside this CMSF folder there is NOTHING else except the Game Files folder. It is DIFFERENT than the OTHER CMSF Game Files folder.

It contains: Baked; Incoming Email; Outoing Email; Saved Games; Scenarios.

Now, having gone through this path of discovery I am going to delete the various saved games I don't want.

Why can't we delete them using the saved game menu in the game? That, of course, would have saved me time but prevented me from learning about this operating system.

I hope this information is useful to someone.

Regards,

Ken