Have Times (and/or Techs) Changed...?

Steve made a comment in another thread talking about the benefits of not having to wait for a turn to pre compute and mentioned a huge scenario that took 15 minutes to compute. This was an extreme example but my response is that it was still fundamentally playable.

Now I just played a game where I had a BMP scoot in front of a MGS Stryker at about 20 yards and was blasting away at it. It put round after round on the Stryker as it passed. The problem is that the gun couldn't rotate fast enough to keep up with the shots resulting in the shots leaving the end of the barrel at nearly a 45 degree angle. Now this could be a bug or an abstraction. If its an abstraction is it because of limits placed on it by RT. I don't know but this kind of thing kills the immersion factor for me more then things like not having the trees sway in the breeze.

In any case this is all theoretical, they are not going back. I'm just hoping going forward some improvements are made. I have faith.

in order to respond in a timely matter to developments on battlefield.

Whereas in WEGO...unlimited time to think up your response to it

i think its hardly possible to measure "how hard" someone is thinking in play therms, just how "long".

so when playing a WEGO game, ovcourse someone thinks longer and much more about what he does and does not, thats how it sould be in WEGO.

while in realtime its all about thinking "fast" not "long". its different aproach.

so you cant just say RT is more of a thinking game while simply thinking faster in stress, instead of thinking houers over houers without any form of stress.

is chess no thinking game!? and its not even WEGO ;) also you have to plan far ahead...

the simple differenc is that for some people its a verry advanced chess game, it take houers and its fun that way. RT isnt "optimal" for everyone...

Originally posted by monkeezgob:

I'd be very surprised to learn if the move towards RTS was driven by anything other than trying to interest a larger audience in what had previously been a niche product.

Just a little observation...most militaries want RT or faster-than-RT simulations for training...take from that what you will. ;)

Pandur, my response was to shafty who made the suggestion that WEGO was more of a thinking game opposed to RT which he suggested was just a clickfest.

My reply was based on the fact that I personally do a lot more thinking and planning when playing RT compared to the thinking and planning I do when playing WEGO. This is mostly because I plan for a lot more contingencies playing RT than I do WEGO. With WEGO I get lazy as I have plenty of time to respond to the actual actions of the enemy so I don't bother planning ahead responses to more than a couple of possible enemy actions as there is no time pressure for a response.

I recall old CMx1 posts from players who would spend an ungodly amount of time scouring the map from every angle and minutely calculating all that could be calculated before hitting the GO button for the next 1 minute turn. He, whoever he was, probably isn't a good candidate for RT play.

Originally posted by B00M$LANG:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by monkeezgob:

I'd be very surprised to learn if the move towards RTS was driven by anything other than trying to interest a larger audience in what had previously been a niche product.

Just a little observation...most militaries want RT or faster-than-RT simulations for training...take from that what you will. ;) </font>

Originally posted by monkeezgob:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by B00M$LANG:

Just a little observation...most militaries want RT or faster-than-RT simulations for training...take from that what you will. ;) </font>

Originally posted by B00M$LANG:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by B00M$LANG: