Simple request for the Scenario Editor

Webwing

Unit Objectives should have the same option as the Terrain objectives.

Destroy and preserve

For instance in a rescue mission.

If the enemy destroys your troops he gets points.

But if you keep them alive you don't!!!! :eek: :confused:

If you get points to preserve a building why not to preserve your own troops???

This is not covered in the casualty parameters since that refers to all troops and not just the objective ones.

Or am I missing something?

Another example would be:

Take General X to the objective area alive.

If he gets killed the enemy gets points, but if he gets there alive you don't!

This kind of missions where not really relevant in CMx1 games IMO but in CM:SF they are.

Thanks.

---

[ December 08, 2007, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Webwing ]

The Terrain Objective like Destroy/preserve is entirely about structures or terrain. Unit parameters allows for casualties and unit conditions. Unit Objectives can make that General the only objective in the game. Three different ways that can be used exclusively or mix and match...

Originally posted by MarkEzra:

The Terrain Objective like Destroy/preserve is entirely about structures or terrain. Unit parameters allows for casualties and unit conditions. Unit Objectives can make that General the only objective in the game. Three different ways that can be used exclusively or mix and match...

Not sure I get your point.

You can make one unit the objective for destruction by the enemy. But this same unit can not be the objective for you to preserve.

With terrain it can. You can assign a terrain objective for the enemy to destroy and the same terrain objective for you to preserve.

--

Has anyone else had problems with CTD's when making big maps?

I made a big Hohenfels map, 3x3km, and besides taking forever to load the scenario into the editor, it often crashes when I try to bring up the 3D preview. It is typical European terrain so there is are lots of trees and elevation changes but I have seen other large maps with lots of buildings and such and they run fine. I was just wondering if maybe the game doesn't like Europe.

Take a look at the 3 tree usage. If you are using them exclusively or nearly so it will impact not only loading but game play. I ran across this when I did very large "Forest" QB's. You may well find that a simple soltion is is use 3 trees as an outer ring to your forested area and 2 and 1 trees mixed inside. There is a notation regarding this on page 147 of the manual.

Originally posted by Webwing:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MarkEzra:

Not sure I get your point.

You can make one unit the objective for destruction by the enemy. But this same unit can not be the objective for you to preserve.

With terrain it can. You can assign a terrain objective for the enemy to destroy and the same terrain objective for you to preserve.

-- </font>

Originally posted by SgtMuhammed:

Has anyone else had problems with CTD's when making big maps?

I made a big Hohenfels map, 3x3km, and besides taking forever to load the scenario into the editor, it often crashes when I try to bring up the 3D preview. It is typical European terrain so there is are lots of trees and elevation changes but I have seen other large maps with lots of buildings and such and they run fine. I was just wondering if maybe the game doesn't like Europe.

Can't really say.

I don't even try anything big. My computer struggles ( frame rates become a real slide show ) with missions that have too much going on even on smaller maps! :confused:

--

Mine shouldn't be struggling with just a map. I can run everything in RT smoothly, including the new ones by rune.

Dual Core 3.0, 2gigs ram, 7620 512m nvidia card.

This is the only thing it struggles on.

the new ones by rune? Tell me about it! Spectacular battle of epic proportions. A beauty. But man, my comp chocked!

It's about time I upgrade this baby. It'll have to wait a bit more though.

--

Mine shouldn't be struggling with just a map. I can run everything in RT smoothly, including the new ones by rune.

Dual Core 3.0, 2gigs ram, 7620 512m nvidia card.

This is the only thing it struggles on.

Would you mind reporting the actual File KB size...I'd like to compare it against Those large Forest maps I mentioned earlier...

Load times will always be a LOT longer than in CMx1 games because the quantity of data, sounds, and art that has to be loaded is massive in comparison. Most modern FPS games have similar load times for the same reason. That being said, I'm sure Charles can find some places to optimize.

The 2D map drawing speed is something that will have to be addressed. I'm sure given some time and effort things can be improved there too.

Steve