So, Battlefront, when is it going to be working?

Guest Guest

As a ToW player before I played CM:SF I can't help but notice the that the engines for both games seem to be almost the same. I't's almost like ToW was a test. I'm not talking major UI here or other features like MP just basic mechanics and back bone frame work.

Both seem to be using a lot of math that is consatntly updating all of the models in the game from every perspective. For the price paid for these games we are getting a lot of bang.

While I agree the infantry and pathfinding are not bad as people make it out, some parts of the game are unplayble due to pathfinding and TACAI. I keep trying to play various modes and even in 1.02, US vehicles, at least, have no intelligence on how to react to threats. Yeah, we can wait til patch 1.0x, but the expectations from BFC are a little higher than from comapnies like Ubisoft.

The scary thing to me is that I have similar complaints on CMSF as I did on TOW, which I considered a waste of my money. I do like playing CMSF. It is fun and educational, but I really expected an experience like CMBO. Once I played CMBO, I never looked back at ASL or SP. I was hoping to have the same emotion with CMSF. Instead, I find frustration and a longing to go back and play CMBB.

I guess I have no choice to wait and keep playing. When I need a fix of CM, I go back to CMBB and CMAK.

Well, you can't expect much in the way of a helpful response from a member of the resident fanboi mafia but you might want to chew over this review from Gamespot. CMSF is certainly getting a much different reception than the original CM series.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/combatmissionshockforce/review.html

Or is it that they also just don't know how to use these features properly? You be the judge smile.gif

Wait until a patch (or two) 'after' you read on the forum that the vid card and other game killer issues are "fixed".

To put a time line on this future release would be meaningless. If you are unfam. with coding I would compare this tracking down an electrial problem in an old car (i.e. before onboard computer diagostics) when it might take HOURS to find and less than 5 min to fix (of course coding may take days to find or not...and even longer to fix).

The one thing above all I'm hoping for from the next patch is that units hit targets they spot without waiting for direction, and hit high priority targets when they appear, switching from area fire or less important targets. In the first campaign battle I repeatedly had to manually switch two tanks on the berm from shooting at infantry to hitting T55's. In RT that's just not acceptable.

The main bugbear I had with CMx1 was units sitting in place and not shooting at targets in plain view, even without a shortage of ammo. I'm disappointed this behaviour is still present in the new engine. I was expecting a leap forward in that regard. With RT you can jump in and fix it, with WEGO you're up the creek until the turn ends.

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

My major issue right now is how long it takes to save and quit. Quitting should take one or two seconds, not 20. Since there is no "load" feature you have to quit before loading a save. And since I suck so far I have to do a lot of saving, quitting, and loading.

This may be your system, saving & loading takes me no time at all.

Originally posted by The Louch:

Infantry and pathfinding work perfectly fine in my game, perhaps instead of blaming BFC you should learn how to use them properly? :rolleyes:

I really wish I could use my infantry and pathfinding properly. I do have a newborn, though, which may be affecting things. I may not be getting enough sleep lately to do much "learning". Damn my bleary eyes! At least having kids has you up at all hours of the night. Perfect time to play!

On a more serious note, I'm really looking forward to the whole "reacting to the enemy in a timely manner" and "returning fire" thing for my infantry. It'll change my whole style of play.

The fact that so far a number of folks who've won the campaign haven't "[seen] the point of dismounting infantry" really puts the whole infantry thing in perspective, doesn't it?

Issues aside, CM:SF is a magical pudding of modern gaming goodness. I really have no relevant reason to say that, but I'm tired and when you're tired and things amuse you, you do them and suffer the consequences.

Cheers.

Originally posted by GDog:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

My major issue right now is how long it takes to save and quit. Quitting should take one or two seconds, not 20. Since there is no "load" feature you have to quit before loading a save. And since I suck so far I have to do a lot of saving, quitting, and loading.

This may be your system, saving & loading takes me no time at all. </font>