Reluctant Sniper Teams and Suicidal MMGs.

1. Has anyone had problems with snipers refusing to shoot when given the target command?

In the airbase mission I have my sniper team at the top of the control tower and they have repeatedly refused to fire at any of the various enemy targets I have selected for them (which are in range and in LOS).

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, but the fact this has not been reported before suggests to me it's not a bug.

2. Has anyone witnessed strange behaviour when deploying MMG teams?

On two occasions I have asked an MMG team to deploy its weapon (not in a house or on a roof, I have read the threads concerning their inability to do this). The resulting behaviour was for two members of the team to deploy in the requested position and a further member of the team to move off some hundred yards away from that point for no obvious reason.

Anyone seen this happen?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Originally posted by vetacon:

2. Has anyone witnessed strange behaviour when deploying MMG teams?

On two occasions I have asked an MMG team to deploy its weapon (not in a house or on a roof, I have read the threads concerning their inability to do this). The resulting behaviour was for two members of the team to deploy in the requested position and a further member of the team to move off some hundred yards away from that point for no obvious reason.

Anyone seen this happen?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

I have seen this happen (v1.01) - confused me somewhat! In the final training mission I deployed two MMG in the scrub half way down the main road. A little later I noticed members of the teams moving off to scrub in the corner of the map for no good reason.

Maybe they farted. Or perhaps they are pulling security.

I haven't noticed this one but I have noticed that when I send MG teams to a roof they tend to split into two teams with one facing the front and the other facing the rear. Unfortunately the 240 is not always with the guys in the front.

With snipers, I don't think I have seen a sniper fire yet. I had one case where I put a M110 team on a roof to provide overwatch. The team members with the sniper were merrily firing away at various targets but when I try to target one of those units I get a no LOS message. Maybe there needs to be an order for the sniper to take the dust covers of his scope.

I have seen this repeatedly with everyone except the sniper firing away.

For what it's worth: as far as I remember, in the previous CMs, the snipers worked well if you let them choose their own targets (i.e. you didn't need to manually give them targets). I remember a CMBB (or was it CMBO?) thread about the snipers who were reluctant to fire. It was mainly due to the fact that their "behaviour" was coded so as to give survival a high value (-> they try to keep a low profile) and they were very (!) reluctant to open fire when the enemy was too close.

Now, this is CM:SF, so I don't know if the coded behaviour is the same, but I would try to do the same as I did for CMBB: find a nice position and let them the initiative. May work. At least that's what I do in CMSF and so far it seems to be OK, but then since I play RT its sometimes difficult to be sure they fired, so I guess I'll have to check the ammo count smile.gif

I have tried it both ways.

Letting them sit results in everyone except the sniper firing. His status never moves from "spotting" while the other members of the team are all blazing away.

Attempting to assign a target only got me an "out of LOS" message even though the target line was bright blue and I could do an area target to that location.

I have seen my snipers shoot, they just do not shoot straight. I previously posted that my snipers believe in the three minutes of shooting - one kill theory (as opposed to one shot - one kill). Even after 1.02, they still do.

In the same airfield scenario, I had my snipers placed in the tower and told them to shoot at a technical across the map. I heard multiple shots and then saw the Syrian get out of the truck and walk away (probably because he was getting a headache from the sound of all the near misses). I have also watched while the same sniper team tried for several minutes to kill a rocket team that was just across the taxiway. Curiously, the sniper team fired their automatic weapons at the rocket team. Maybe they were too close?

Sig

I wondered about that - so i tried giving them a target arc just to push them gently in the right direction rather than forcing them to target a given enemy, but that still didn't work.

For info - they were on top of the control tower and I think out of effective range of any enemy weapons (certainly the javelin team next to them happily fired off several missiles without drawing fire), so if they are programmed to prioritise survivability more than, say, a rifleman would, I think they prioritise it too highly.

Twice in the airport scenario of the campaign I've caught my sniper team walking off on their own - once their Hummer went along, although the team walked. The first time I caught them before they got very far and sent them back. The second time I just watched to see what they were up to. They settled down in the middle of a field after taking a casualty. In both cases I had installed them on the top floor of a multi-story building and left them to it. Seem to be independant types, but not bright enough to avoid strolling across a wide flat field under enemy observation.

I've wondered if I had inadvertently given a group order that caused them to stray, but I don't believe that was the case.

Outside of the ATM's, you seem to have very limited tactical control of infantry. You can't even get units to hold fire (no order), you can tell them where to go but,not how to get there (Pathfinding or TacAI)? Snipers seem to pick their own target reguadless of target orders.