AI plan request: support targets delay

While I like the support targets feature, I hate the fact that the AI will use them as pre-planned bombardements, commencing at the very beginning of a battle. I would LOVE to see the ability to delay these strikes with a simple timer in the editor. Thus a scenario designer could help the AI to use its fire support much better.

Ah, and when I click on the EXIT button in the editor, PLEASE put up one of those (usually annoying) "do you really want to exit without saving?" prompts. It's not fun losing a couple of hours' worth of map making by a simple mis-click.

CMx1 had that feature... ;)

I have the same nitpick. The AI will shoot off all of its artillery at the "support targets" at the beginning. I would also like to have the ability to have the artillery fire come in on the pre-planned targets at a specified delay (i.e. 3-5 min.) after enemy units are spotted in the area.

I have thought of a couple of rough workarounds, but have not gotten around to testing if they actually work:

1. have artillery come in as a reinforcement after a specific time, say 5-15 mins.; or

2. "bake" the scenario and give the AI specific targeting instructions at the beginning of the scenario.

Or similar idea:

Now those support targets are painted to map the same way as AI plan's zones to occupy. Could be nice if you could make some arty units to belong to an AI group. Then the painted area would be used like support targets now - to specify targets, not where to move the group. This way you could assign different arty units to different targets and in different way in every AI plan.

I've encountered this issue as well. Not sure there is a solution yet.

The more targets you assign the less ammo is spent on each one as the support units cycle through targets. Not that this solves the problem.

Can't wait for a delay feature which I'm sure they will introduce.

Thewood is correct. Currently all support targets will result in an instant bombardement at the start of a battle. Providing some sort of delay function would greatly improve the flexibility of the AI's use of artillery.

A scenario designer could provide the AI with half a dozen support targets, to be targetted over the span of the whole battle. Ideally, besides the delay timer we would also get a probability setting for AI arty strikes.

*dreams on*

• 2 years later...