The glorius & immortal thread of Cheery Waffles, unstable TNT and smiling soldiers !

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm playing a lot of Moscow and Stalingrad scenarios right now. Working my way through Paul Carrel's Ost Front books, Hitler Moves East and Scorched Earth. (And, yes, I'm well aware of who he really was.)

I just bought Seaton's Russo-German War too. That's next up.

<font size=6><font color=green>Good <font color=red>Evening,</font color><font color=green> Maggots!!!</font color></font size>

<font size=5><font color=white>Welcome to winter.</font color></font size></font size> It's a frigid 53 degrees here. I think our grass needs cutting. Maybe after the rain stops.

Kitty, good to see you're running around loose again. Too bad you've lost your mind - I read some comment you made about Australian men being the only real men. It's always so sad to see the evidence of someone who has killed off too many neurons. :(

SPOILER ALERT!!! Axe, not to give away the ending of your new books, but the Soviets win in about 1945. tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Not much else to say. About a year ago I gave away my CMBB and CMAK CDs; then after a few months bought new copies; and now I'm about ready to pitch them again. I couldn't recapture the old magic of playing Combat Mission. I'm spending my web time on other forums like The Comics Curmudgeon and the always hilarious Wonkette .

<font size=5>Happy/Merry _______________________</font size> (fill in with whatever you're celebrating) <font size=5>to all!! :D:D:D </font size>

Originally posted by _Axe_:

Member # 8694

posted November 18, 2003 08:18 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm number one! I'm number one!

Ho boy, CMAK can't get here soon enough. I think we're all a little loopy.

CMBB kept this thread going for a year. CMAK should give it another year. CMX2? The sky's the limit.

[ November 18, 2003, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Axe2121 ]

--------------------

Let's make a fast plan

watch it burn to the ground

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was just looking through some old Cheery Waffle threads hunting e-mail addresses for a New Years note to old friends. This was from the last Waffle thread in the CMBB forum. Notice the date when Axe posted and edited it. Is it any wonder people have gotten tired of waiting for the next big thing? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

After perusing a few of the old threads I'm saddened by the people we've lost from the community. You just can't replace guys like MasterGoodale and Jim Boggs and Teddy Windsor and Soddball and Snarker and Keke and Becket and Stalin's Organ. Sure, you ask, "Why would anybody want to?" Well, I can't really think of any good reasons, but I still miss them all.

<font size=4>Should auld acquaintance be forgot,

And never brought to mind?

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,

And auld lang syne? </type size>

<font size=6><font color=yellow>Happy 2007 to everyone!! :D:D:D </font size=6></font color=yellow>

Originally posted by _Axe_:

Member # 8694

posted November 18, 2003 08:18 PM

I'm number one! I'm number one!

[ November 18, 2003, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Axe2121 ]

Plus c'est la meme chose, plus ça change.

It's nice still being number one. :mad:

Originally posted by Dave H:

After perusing a few of the old threads I'm saddened by the people we've lost from the community. You just can't replace guys like MasterGoodale and Jim Boggs and Teddy Windsor and Soddball and Snarker and Keke and Becket and Stalin's Organ. Sure, you ask, "Why would anybody want to?" Well, I can't really think of any good reasons, but I still miss them all.

I was reading some of them this morning. What a riot!

MasterGoodale FAQ v. 1.00.

Q.What is this FAQ about?

A. This FAQ is about Justin Goodale, who goes by the online handle of MasterGoodale at the Combat Mission forums.

Q. Why should we care about this guy?

A. You shouldn't.

Q. So why are you writing this?

A. I have a morbid interest in strange and unusual things. Plus, I'm bored and at work.

Q. Okay, so what is this MasterGoodale guy about?

A. MasterGoodale is a guy who lives in New Hampshire, claims he is a "senior software designer" and sometimes gets around to playing Combat Mission, the most realistic combat simulator yet made for the PC. He also has many, many, many anger management issues, of which we will delve into later.

Q. You say "sometimes gets around to." Does he or doesn't he play Combat Mission?

A. I use the term "play" loosely. If by play you mean starting a game, then yes, MasterGoodale does play Combat Mission. If by play you mean starting a game, sending turns in a regular and timely fashion and completeing said games, then no, MasterGoodale does not play Combat Mission. More on this later in the "excuses" section.

Q. So how did it all start?

A. MasterGoodale signed up as member #10856 November 3, 2002 and made his first post later that day.

"posted November 03, 2002 06:01 PM

---------------------------------

I have read reviews (which are excellent) and posts by current players and everything says "Buy the Game" but I'm sort of gun-shy after a very bad experience with World War II Online. My impression is that this is an entirely different game and that this game is far more polished and immersive. I especially have questions about PBEM and Performance.

If anyone wants to help me with these concerns I would appreciate it.

1. How would the performance be with a PIII 866 and TNT2 32 MB card and 512 MB SDRAM? Would I be able to play on the highest settings smoothely?

2. Is there a good following out there to play by email with and are they easy to find? Is internet play via cable good?

I love the concept of this game and the realism intrigues me so that's not a problem. The more realistic the better IMO. I like games that require strategy and good decisions, not mouse button smashing or cheap tactics.

Thanks,

MasterGoodale"

Q. So that's it?

A. Not really. As you can see from this post made three days later by AKDavis, MasterGoodale had already worn out his welcome.

"Dear MasterGoodale:

At of the time of this posting, there were SIX threads begun by you on the frontpage of the forum. Most of these posts contain either A.) already posted information B.) information or questions that belong in another forum or C.) complete drivel. While there is no LAW forbidding you from posting irrelevant information at whim, please consider that this behaviour is rapidly placing you on many individuals' bad sides. If you choose to continue this behaviour, don't whine when people jump on your ass about it. This is a very friendly community.

However, if you fling poo at a group of people, have that poo flung back, then scream "unfair!" and "meanies!," don't expect a lot of sympathy around here.

THINK before you POST."

In that same thread was a post by board administrator Madmatt.

"Yeah, I am growing tired of threads like this. Everyone just go back to your neutral corners while I do some clean up."

Q. So did he curtail his posting habits after those rebukes?

A. Ha ha, you cheeky monkey. Hardly. Things only got worse. Then we saw a seemingly endless stream of threads with titles like "A serious question for the Game Developers" (November 5, 2002) and "I have played the demo -- someone sell me on the game!!!!" (November 11, 2002)

Q. So what happened next?

A. Thankfully, the forum had someone with the foresight of Abbott. It was on November 18, 2002 that he started the now infamous thread in question calling it "MasterGoodale's Thread of Cheery Waffle." His first post read as follows:

"Good day mates. Here you will find (if we can keep him penned in) all of MasterGooddale’s cheery and dreary thoughts of the day.

MasterGooddale as you make your way through your day and night, please post all of your thoughts that you obviously believe others will find of interest to this thread. We will even comment on them!

As you tread your way into CMBB you are uncovering many issues that have already been discussed in length many times. However players new to CMBB will more then likely find some of your err….many thoughts interesting. I have to admit that at times myself I have found some of your ceaseless rambling humorous.

Anxiously awaiting your first post sir!"

Nine minutes later this post from MasterGoodale followed:

"Absolutely! I think this is a great place for me to share my excitement for this game!

That's right maggots, this is the best war game ever made, hands down. I am astonished time and time again how damn smart the AI is. Last night 2 of my tanks were following orders I had issued and the little bastages took it upon themselves to pull a manuever that in the end turned out being a smarter move then the one I had ordered (due to a change in enemy positions). I love tis game. I don't understand why some people are beeeatching about a patch. They just released the game for the love of a grunts flesh! Give em a break these things take time! Maybe they wanted to take a vacation after the release. the game is almost perfect as it is and only needs minor adjustments. I am so into this game I can't even describe it. The rush I get when I blast grunts with HE and watch them retreat with a look of panic on their faces is just glorious!! OOOHHHH the huuuuMMAAAANITY!! My eveil grin shines in the monitor's light at wee hours of the morning as I cackle madly while my soldiers unleash hot, bitter fury upon my foes. Sometimes I giggle kind of loud and my wife hears me upstairs and thinks I'm Mad. But I don't care!! I'm a killin' Kraut grunts and that's all I need to keep me happy.

You guys did such a great job with this game. It's a rare jewel and I tell EVERY gamer I know to buy it. I'm just gonna pass out when CM3 is released I know it. It's not that often that a game this polished, detailed, stable and in-depth hits the market let me tell ya mister. I've been around the gaming block a time or two, probably before most of your grannies were in diapers and I haven't seen many like this.

Great job Battlefront!!!!! AAARRRGGGARARRAGAGRAGRRGAGRAGRAGRAGR!!!!

I'm gonna take a vacation just so I can play uninterupted and undisturbed. . ."

Q. So why does he deserve his own thread? Isn't that playing favorites?

A. Yes it is. But it also makes the best of a bad situation. Instead of keeping him in one thread, a job which Soddball has carried on tirelessly, the options would be letting him run free and drive everyone batty or ban him.

Q. So why not just ban him?

A. Because life is suffering, also known as the first noble truth of the Buddha.

Q. When did the word maggot make its first appearance?

A. See MasterGoodale's reponse to Abbott's thread.

Q. When did the phrase AAARRRGGGARARRAGAGRAGRRGAGRAGRAGRAGR!!!!

make its first appearance?

A. See the previous answer.

Q. What does AAARRRGGGARARRAGAGRAGRRGAGRAGRAGRAGR!!!! mean?

A. It seems it would be MasterGoodale's version of a war cry.

Q. Is it always the same?

A. No. The spacing will differ from time to time. And there was the time Dave H made him drop the G from the cry as a condition of losing a match to him. See also the next question.

Q. Who is Skunk Nads?

A. The phrase "skunk nads" first made an appearance May 16, 2003.

"Dave H you foul, slithering flask of moldy maggot puss! I will pry every last "G" from the cold dead hands of your slathered Krauts skunk nads!"

Soon, however, Skunk Nads became the nickname for MasterGoodale's wife who may or may not exist.

Q. What is all this talk about mold, ants and vomit about?

A. They all stem directly from his excuses for not sending turns back in a timely manner. They are dealt with in the next question.

Q. So what is the deal with these excuses?

A. MasterGoodale has had, to put it mildly, a run of bad luck in 2003. So far the documented excuses from him include ants in his house, mold in his basement, a sick daughter from the mold, visting in-laws, a snowstorm, his job, renovations to the basement to get rid of the mold, a counter-attack on the ants, carpet layers being late for the renovations and a golf tournament.

Q. So, after all this, is MasterGoodale any good at Combat Mission?

A. Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

FAQ by Axe2121 -- August 6, 2003

Man, this game bugs me. I've been playing CMBB and CMAK since Jeebus was a gypsy and I tells ya, its getting old. :mad: When is CMSF coming out? I've been doing the BF2142 thing but thars too many punks and twitch players, not enough tactical players...

Hey Abbott I haven't sent you a turn yet. Don't worry it's coming tonight. I have made the dumbest bone-headed move by going to University part time starting Monday (I missed this weeks class because the University didn't admit me until Tuesday :mad: ), so now I work full time, raise 2 kids, currently aged 2 1/2 and 3 months, try to keep the wiff happy by at least pretending to do some house work and we've also started a gaming group that always seems to want to play when hockey night in Canada is on the cbc.... someone please shoot me now. I have 10 hours of reading to do before Monday night and around 78 seconds of free time to do it in. Plus my cubicle is right outside my bosses door, so I can't slip in any homework through the day...

:mad:

stupid ass

Originally posted by J Ruddy:

I have made the dumbest bone-headed move by going to University part time starting Monday

You and Pseudointellectual can share notes and see who the biggest drain on society is - you or him.

someone please shoot me now.
Time? Place?

stupid ass
I do believe that's the smartest thing you've ever grunted. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: