Syrian Panzer IVs

Kurtz

Originally posted by Kurtz:

Apparently they last saw use in the Six-Day war in 1967. And by that time they were used as pillboxes on the Golan heights. :(

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

I may have my wars confused, but I think the last time the Syrians fielded Mk. IVs was in the '67 war. And then only as dug-in pillboxes along the top of the Golan escarpment.

Michael

Sometimes, Mike, you should read the other posts before replying!

:rolleyes:;)tongue.gif

I think we could get away with a scenario in which the Stykers attack a Syrian barracks that still has a Pz IV hanger queen laying around.

BFC need to put the Panzer IV in there just for that possibility. It'll cut down on the WWII module development time. Honest.

I know a guy in Texas retired from the Army after Desert Storm. He swears that the Iraqi Army used at least 1 Panzer IV against his unit. He said he cried when he issued the fire order that destroyed it.

I have no concrete evidence that the story is true. But heck, I believed him.

E

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Yeah, in the '73 war they lost a whole regiment of T-62s trying to cross the AT ditch.

Michael

So those actually work? I had read some (german I believe) civilian from WW2 say that for all the work they did digging AT ditches she never saw a tank get stuck in one...

Originally posted by Dillweed:

So those actually work? I had read some (german I believe) civilian from WW2 say that for all the work they did digging AT ditches she never saw a tank get stuck in one...

Possibly because, unless the tankers were Syrian, they didn't try to cross them without the help of engineers.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Yeah, in the '73 war they lost a whole regiment of T-62s trying to cross the AT ditch.

Michael

So those actually work? I had read some (german I believe) civilian from WW2 say that for all the work they did digging AT ditches she never saw a tank get stuck in one... </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Michael

So those actually work? I had read some (german I believe) civilian from WW2 say that for all the work they did digging AT ditches she never saw a tank get stuck in one... </font>

I can only guess, but here goes;

1. It has something to do with the tanks having been caught in the flank, such as at strongpoint 109

2. The photo was staged, perhaps after Isreal regained the cease-fire line.

Like I said, those are just guesses, and they don't explain everything seen in the photo. Also, I don't know where the photo was taken.