Our soldier's got company!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehe...

Actually, the Syrian camo pattern is just a knockoff of US ERDL, which is what became Woodland. It really isn't very exciting. There is an older pattern which was used by a single division. That was a variation of French "Lizard" pattern and was quite cool. Never managed to get one of those for myself (they are very rare), but I do have a current Syrian camo shirt.

Yup, I'm a camonard smile.gif

Steve

The one in my photo is an M203A1, at least that's what is stamped on the side. How odd. I've never seen one with a barrel that short.

edit: Ok, I'm looking at FM 3-22.31, 40mm Grenade Launcher, M203, Febuary 2003 page 3-1 and it says nothing about the barrel being shorter on the A1. All it says is the M203A1 is designed to be mounted on the M4 carbine series with the rail system. The photo it shows is identical my M203A1. And the technical data is identical for both the M203 and the M203A1. So, I'm not trying to be a prick, I just thought I'd point that out.

[ August 04, 2006, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: Angryson ]

Angryson, no worries. If you intended on being a prick, I am sure you would have put some effort into it :D BTW, you're back in the States now, yes? Welcome back.

Don't get too used to the M203. We might feel the urge to switch to the M320, which is set to replace the M203. This is the HK 40mm launcher that is on G36 rifles. The big advantge is that it is side loaded by the barrel pivoting out to the left. Apparently this is a lot easier to load than the M203. It is set to start coming into service this year, supposedly. Since we are focusing on Stryker units, and Stryker units are at the top of the "New Toy" list, if production starts to filter down to troops we might switch. I don't remember the performance stats, but I don't think it is terribly different than the M203. Just looks cooler. Afterall, it is German :D

Steve

Holy cripes... January? Man does time fly. Seems like just yesterday you were on your way home. Man, I really should get a calendar or something ;) I'm sure you're glad that the paper targets you're popping rounds off at aren't trying to blow you out of your boots.

BTW, gross violation of uniform regs there. I mean, could you possibly wear any more variations of Army camouflage? Wait, I already know the answer to that since I'm a uniform collecting weenie... the answer is NO :D

Steve

Originally posted by Angryson:

And the technical data is identical for both the M203 and the M203A1. So, I'm not trying to be a prick, I just thought I'd point that out.

Hehe no worries Angry, I didnt think you were. In fact your post promted me to double check it...youd be amazed how many different sources give different measurements for different items ;) Ive found several sources stating the lenght of the RPG's launcher as the length of the tube *plus* rocket. Its amazing how even on modern items details can vary.

The cool part is that with the new engine it would take me about 20 seconds to make the longer 203 one from the shorter, so if both are in use we can model both easily enough. As Steve said though, we may even have to move to the HK...lots of things are in a transition at the moment.

Michael, you're wrong. The 6 year old kid fishy pays $0.25 per to type out a post can't spell. Back in the old days it used to be paying kids to mow the lawn, now there is a whole new vocation for them. Yup, it's a pretty twisted world we live in!

Er... am I contributing to a Cess Pool spill over? Indeed I am! I therefore slap myself with a wet noodle and beg my own forgiveness ;)

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Angryson,

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Hey, I figure if you got all of them, why not wear 'em?

Hmm... guess you haven't read Army Regulation 670-1 then :D Wait a minute... you're infantry right? That explains it. Everybody knows you guys can't read ;)

Steve </font>