Should i buy this game?

Originally posted by PseudoSimonds:

So it's OK so long as it's somebody else's buddies that got blown to bits a few years ago?

Its ok if its history. I knew people that were killed in Vietnam. I've got no issue with games based on Vietnam, its over. If you can't see the difference, so be it, I'm done trying to explain it

Isn't there a law against this type of practice (wrongful advertising) as we call it in U.K. but not sure about U.S.
Sure wrongful advertising is against the law here, but it would be impossible to prove on this issue. There isn't any way you could "prove" a sold game was beta, buggy stuff gets sold all the time. And there is no explicit advertisement saying mortars are in the game, effort to put them in for which screens where created yes, in yet, no. Also BFC quite clearly has marked on the purchase page.

Battlefront.com encourages you to review the product Demo before making a purchase because

ALL SALES ARE FINAL!

They said, try our product before you buy it. If a person passed that offer it isn't exactly BFCs fault (I say this as a person who preordered and wouldn't do it again).

If you liked CMx1 and are at all curious about how the genre would play realtime with 1:1 representation then do a little fun-to-expence mental calculation. Imagine $45 in your hand. Now mentally spend it on entertainment. How much fun was it and how long did the entertainment last? Now look at CMSF. Even if its not your 'ideal' theatre and wouldn't last 7 years on your desktop like CMBO did would a copy of CMSF still be worth it to you?

Oh, and about the on-board bitching. Read some of the nastier rants. Ponder 'Could BFC have produced anything to satisfy them?" :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

As for Syria, give me a break. CMSF is capitalizing on the mess in Iraq.

I don't see how; you'll have to explain that one to me. I haven't seen Iraq mentioned in any advertising; in fact, my understanding is that the advertising has been explicitly careful NOT to make comparisons to Iraq.

Iraq's conventional war was over years ago. CM:SF represents conventional conflict, not counter-insurgency. If YOU don't see the difference, then perhaps we really are through here.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I hope there is no bad blood between Michael Dorosh and Berlichtingen now! But one does have to admit that there is a difference between an ongoing war of wich horrible images can be seen daily on the news and in the papers or an historic event. "The blood hasn't dried up yet"...that kind of feeling.

I'm making no moral judgements here, just stating why i'm not interested in a (semi)Iraq game.

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Londoner:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Speedy:

Sturmy how do you reconcile point 1. with your liking of the CMx1 games that are based on a war that slaughtered 50-80 million people?

You know what he means Speedy old boy! War is bad enough without having to wrestle with moral ambiguities. tongue.gif </font>

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

As for Syria, give me a break. CMSF is capitalizing on the mess in Iraq.

I don't see how; you'll have to explain that one to me. I haven't seen Iraq mentioned in any advertising; in fact, my understanding is that the advertising has been explicitly careful NOT to make comparisons to Iraq.

Iraq's conventional war was over years ago. CM:SF represents conventional conflict, not counter-insurgency. If YOU don't see the difference, then perhaps we really are through here. </font>

FWIW, I wargame to understand human conflict.

When ProSimCo's "The Falklands War" was published I never doubted about buying and playing it. Even when some good friends from my hometown never made it back from the Malvinas/Falklands.

For me, the fun of wargaming is not in the simulated loss of human life. The fun for me is the better understanding.

Just my two cents,

Never mind the bollcks!! This game is top fun. Yeah it needs a bit of tweaking but it's not that bad once you get the hang of scenario making and AI scripting.

Make yourself a dozen maps, or download them, stick them in the QB maps folder with a AI script for both sides and get playing. smile.gif

Originally posted by Mishga:

Never mind the bollcks!! This game is top fun. Yeah it needs a bit of tweaking but it's not that bad once you get the hang of scenario making and AI scripting.

Make yourself a dozen maps, or download them, stick them in the QB maps folder with a AI script for both sides and get playing. smile.gif

And forcing me to do all that to begin to enjoy the game is a step forward... how? smile.gif

-dale

Originally posted by Londoner:

Totally OT but is it any good? [/QB]

Hi Londoner,

It's a great game. It is more on the side of a military sim actually. I don't want to spam here but I can e-mail you for more details.

How did this become a "Why do I play war games" thread?

:D Very true.

Back to the original question and taking into account SturmSebber's reservations, I would say to him don't buy it.