The "Do we have a time for the download" thread

Just wondering if theres any clue on what time the download will be available. Also, is there anychance of a time zone that you guys will be working from? If your going to release on US time ill need a few days to adjust my sleeping so i dont miss any time with Shock Force :D

Thanks all

Originally posted by Bahger:

Any idea how long it might take on an average broadband connection (DSL)? This will be my first time downloading an entire game. I'm hoping to be able to start it before I leave for work and install it when I get home...

What is your "average broadband connection"? That could be anything from 512 to 8M, and there's a pretty big difference in dl times there.

I don't know how big the CMSF installer will be, but a 700meg download with a 2M broadband would take about an hour at full bandwidth. Work it from there.

Well they'd said that the download will only be about 350 MB. The download for Theater of War went quickly enough, and that was 1+ GB if I recall correctly. Should definitely be done when you get home from work.

I don't know how accurate this calculator is, but you can probably get a decent estimate from it: http://www.martindalecenter.com/AATimeCalc.html

Of course, I think it assumes you're downloading at your full available bandwidth. I'd look at that chart and add at least 50% more time.

Thanks. I think my DSL service gives me about 1.2M. Not great but adequate.

Last week I read about a woman in Sweden whose son set up a fiber-optic Internet connection for her that is now officially regarded as the fastest home Internet connection anywhere in the world for a private individual. I forget the exact numbers but she can download a feature-length movie in under two seconds.

Thanks. I think my DSL service gives me about 1.2M. Not great but adequate.

That should make it an hour of a download, assuming 80-90% bandwidth. Which I doubt if you dl it as soon as you can, so better make it two hours.

Last week I read about a woman in Sweden whose son set up a fiber-optic Internet connection for her that is now officially regarded as the fastest home Internet connection anywhere in the world for a private individual. I forget the exact numbers but she can download a feature-length movie in under two seconds.
So 350MB/s? Yea that'd be cool - except a harddrive that writes that fast hasn't been invented yet. I also seriously doubt if a LAN adapter capable of handling such speeds exist.

I am going to go out on a limb here and bet that regardless of your connection speed the servers are going to feed it to you at 125 to 250 k per second. It will take as long as it takes and your head will probably not explode if you made it through last weekend. It is having to much time to play refresh junky that leads to spontaneous cranial combustion.

Originally posted by dan/california:

I am going to go out on a limb here and bet that regardless of your connection speed the servers are going to feed it to you at 125 to 250 k per second.

Given that your wild guess is correct, that would still make it a 30min to 1 hour dl tops - I'm sure I could handle that. :D

Originally posted by RCMP:

Did anyone confirm the "anticipated" Download time. Are we looking at 0001 hrs Eastern Standard Time?

BFC so far haven't confirmed a specific time. I'm still hoping they provide the download a day earlier for those who preordered the game directly from the BFC website.

Originally posted by dan/california:

I am going to go out on a limb here and bet that regardless of your connection speed the servers are going to feed it to you at 125 to 250 k per second. It will take as long as it takes and your head will probably not explode if you made it through last weekend. It is having to much time to play refresh junky that leads to spontaneous cranial combustion.

I don't recall it being capped for the ToW download. As i recall, they contract out for "unlimited" bandwidth.

BFC so far haven't confirmed a specific time. I'm still hoping they provide the download a day earlier for those who preordered the game directly from the BFC website.
You mean the d/l may be available on Thursday for those who have ordered from BFC? And I'm assuming they'll send out an email when it's online, right?

Again, sorry about the rudimentary questions. I'm an experienced sim gamer but I've steered clear of full game downloads so far.

[ July 23, 2007, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Bahger ]

You mean the d/l may be available on Thursday for those who have ordered from BFC? And I'm assuming they'll send out an email when it's online, right?.

All I'm saying is that it would be nice if it would be that way, kind of a bonus for their loyal supporters. ;)

Chances for that happening are probably small, though.

And yes, they will send out emails once the download gets activated.

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

All I'm saying is that it would be nice if it would be that way, kind of a bonus for their loyal supporters. ;)

Hmmm... [browses his black notebook]

ParaBellum said:

"Yeah, I think this whole CM franchise is a pretty nice try, but personally my bets are on G.I Combat."

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ParaBellum:

Hmmm... [browses his black notebook]

ParaBellum said:

"Yeah, I think this whole CM franchise is a pretty nice try, but personally my bets are on G.I Combat."

</font>