Introducing someone to CMSF

I'd like suggestions on how to introduce a new player of this type of wargame to the upcoming

CMSF if possible at this stage, I was tempted to suggest CMBB but I'm afraid it will not prepare him for this new game and let's face it..learning CM#1 is a long learning curve. I'd like to find something alittle closer to what BF has developed or even documentation on how to unlearn CM or something he can cut his teeth on before release. Has anyone on the beta team posted an AAR by chance, I'd sure like to read one.

Hey Mystro,

It may be a long shot but I think "Full Spectrum Warior" 1 and 2 might be good for the atmosphere / squad tactics.

I think it's pretty unique in it's genre, it's not a shooter and it's not a turn based wargame, it's a very interesting mix that gave me hours of enjoyable gaming and "in your face" firefights.

It will definitely put your friend in the mood for CMSF.

Itai

I'll give this a good look-see, I realize BF will not release SF until it's ready so I'd like to find something fairly light which will start getting him interested in the genre. If I can do this eventually he'll make a wonderful contributor here I'm sure. Thanks

And CMx2 probably will not play like CM except that there are choices for wego and email play. And real time most likely is a misnomer as this isnt Starcraft. My guess is if you are running a column of say T-72's straight into a city they arent going to last too long as I am not sure if Abrams miss much. smile.gif So try a tank rush and see if it will play the same hehe. And unattended infantry may be dead infantry.

The CMSF screenshots and videos do not look like outdated old CMx1, yet they DO still look reassuringly familiar in a way. Like they hadn't got rid of the 'good' stuff, just the 'bad'. It's not going to be as jarring as jumping from CMBO to Grand Theft Auto but yeh, there's still going to be a jump to make. And rushing a column of Shermans straight into a city didn't work very well in CMx1 either :D

My honest opinion -- I've tried to get many family members, coworkers and friends hooked on the CM series, but to no avail. Sad to say, this is an extremely niche part of an already niche hobby (3-D Mil gaming, PC gaming being the first niche), and many people are just not that interested in A)PC games B) The military and its equipment and C) the degree of micromanagement (though we all know this is just a matter of managerial preference) it takes to succeed at this game.

I myself spent several months struggling with CMBO, trying to find a way to win, before a kind soul took me under his wing and showed me the ropes (lucky for me, he was then a major in the USMC, I imagine he has gone up in rank since then). My perserverance paid off, but many don't have that kind of patience, and are not as enraptured by all things military.

My new rule of thumb -- I don't recommend the CM series to anyone who isn't a dyed-in-the-wool grognard, and even then, they have to be a ground forces grognard, interested in modern or semi-modern combat. The graphics upgrade might help, but look for this to remain a niche title, popular only with grognards and maybe military academies and institutions.

Yeh, I had (still have) military-crazy nephews. I gave 'em CMAK for Christmas back when it first came out and I think their juvenile little minds simply couldn't grasp a war game that didn't scream 'KILL! KILL! KILL! KILL! KILL! KILL! KILL! KILL! KILL! KILL! " at them all the time.

I have to disagree with a couple of the opinions offered here.

I never really found CM to have a high learning curve and I am far from a grog. If you know at least the basics of warfare (rushing infantry is a sure way to get them killed) then it is fairly easy to pick up. The first time I played the game when I looked at the list of units I didn't have the slightest idea what I was picking besides infantry/armor/artillery.

I have introduced CM to four people while in college, all who managed to play a competitive game against me on their second play (I let them play a quick battle against the computer as I pointed out things and answered questions).

In terms of players who have liked it, the game does require a person who wants a slow paced thoughtful game. Of the four people who played me the one who did the best ended up not liking it. It was longer and slower than what he was looking for.

Anyway as to my recommendation for getting someone into the game as I think if you get a grasp of CMx1 you will be better for CMx2. Mention its realism when getting them to play with examples ("Of course tanks should never be rushing at the front of your lines") and if possible watch them play their first game and try and point out any real huge errors they may make. Some people won't like it do to the WEGO format, but that won't always be an issue for CM:SF.