the truth about CMSF and this board ;o)

Originally posted by Dillweed:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

I would give my right nut for a NATO/WP game. Maybe with modules for '62, '79, '85 and '89. Woot.

Think those would require "vastly differnt units" and thus different titles. If we are going hypothetical tho, I'd like to add one to the list '45. T-34s v shermans *shudder*

</font>

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tank equipment wise, the 1945 setting would have been quite even. Artillery wise, the same. Air power is where the westerners would have had an edge, while Soviets fielded a larger total force.

But in the end, we are forced to ask the question: would it have made any sense? Did either side have even a theoretical capacity to gain from a new war something more valuable than what restoration of peace could give?

Originally posted by Sergei:

But in the end, we are forced to ask the question: would it have made any sense? Did either side have even a theoretical capacity to gain from a new war something more valuable than what restoration of peace could give?

Agreed, but that doesn't prevent it from being intresting, on a tactical level.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Renaud:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Any confrontation between east and west in 1945 would be decided by Long Toms, 105s, and the venerable 25-pounder.

Superfortresses carrying atomic bombs would have cut that war short. :eek: </font>

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Yes, Sergei is indeed correct, but of course, Germany was just as exhausted in 1945 and kept fighting because of Hitler. I suppose if Stalin woke up in an odd mood one day in August 1945 he could have started a ruckus if he wanted to...

Yeah. I really can't form an estimate of how irrational Stalin was apt to be in 1945, but my readings to this time suggest to me that it might have been Truman who was more apt to wake up in an odd mood and decide to heed his more jingoistic advisors. He never did, and that may have something to do with why we are still around to speculate on it, but he never really told them to can it either. This set a pattern that continued at least though the presidency of JFK.

Michael

Stalin was a smart, ruthless politician. He would not have started a war, unless he was certain of winning. In 1945, the Soviet Union was in no shape to fight another war:

-they had lost between 20-40 million killed;

-about 30-40% of their pre-war industrial capacity was gone;

-the whole area of the USSR which had been fought over was devastated. In many towns, not one building was still standing and famine was rampant;

-only lend-lease supplies of weapons and food had prevented the USSR from collapsing and these ended as soon as the war was over;

-the Red Army was fighting a guerrilla war in western ukraine against anti-communist partisan groups;

-in eastern europe, most countries were ruled by coalition government, where the communist party was often in the minority. It would take a few more years to turn them into proper soviet puppet states; and

- the USSR did not have the atomic bomb.

1950 however, would have been the ideal time, alot of these problems were resolved and Western Europe had very few troops.

Once again, Combat Mission is not a political/economic simulator. Just because a Western/Soviet war was not bloody likley doesn't mean that there would not be some damn intresting tactical chestnuts to crack at the company/battalion level.

I mean, anything this hypothetical is pretty much pissing into the wind. I mean from what I know of history there are just way too many little variables to figure what would have happens if even some little ones (let alone big ones) were different.

That being said, however, I understand there were some pretty tense moments near the end of the war. I can imagine a stressed yet invincible feeling COL with extreme political views doing something very foolish as a result. And these things do have a way of spiraling out of control...

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Yes, Sergei is indeed correct, but of course, Germany was just as exhausted in 1945 and kept fighting because of Hitler. I suppose if Stalin woke up in an odd mood one day in August 1945 he could have started a ruckus if he wanted to...

Yeah. I really can't form an estimate of how irrational Stalin was apt to be in 1945, but my readings to this time suggest to me that it might have been Truman who was more apt to wake up in an odd mood and decide to heed his more jingoistic advisors. He never did, and that may have something to do with why we are still around to speculate on it, but he never really told them to can it either. This set a pattern that continued at least though the presidency of JFK.

Michael </font>

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dillweed:

Once again, Combat Mission is not a political/economic simulator.

But having a credible backdrop is the only way to make it play credibly. Otherwise BFC has only wasted their time trying to figure the same for an intervention in Syria. </font>