"Anatomy of a Stryker" TV

Saw "Anatomy of a Stryker" on the Military Channel last night. It should replay 12/26/05. The show was very helpful to my understanding of how a modern Stryker force works. RE: CMSF. Plenty of game play potential within a Styker unit with so many different variations of the vehicle and armament as well. Looking forward with more anticipation to the new game.

Dawg ... Some run flat tires under our New Orleans sleigh would be great for getting through da hood. :cool:

From military.discovery.com

Anatomy of a Stryker

The Stryker is a 19-ton, eight-wheeled, infantry carrier filled with state-of-the-art combat systems. In this program, we reveal the impressive technology and revolutionary capabilities of this vehicle, as well as the elite soldiers who operate them.

Next show broadcast DEC 26 2005 @ 01:00 PM Eastern

Steve,

Hope you got the tape?

If you want me to put it on VHS for you let me know. We still don't have US Postal service here but I could send it from the next parish over, Jefferson.

I thought I knew what a Stryker was and did but I was wrong. The Military Channel show focused on the Yakima training grounds training and real world use in Iraq. The soldiers all had praise for the speed and advanced technology packed into the machine. They demonstrated how quickly parts could be changed out. They discussed what a full Styrker unit had ... the variety of types of Strykers. Impressive arsenal. Should make CMSF a great game with plenty vehicle options. The ultimate weapon is the fire team inside but they work hand in glove with the Strykers. Cool.

The run flat tires are awesome! With all the tires flat the Stryker can still hit 50 mph to escape the bad guys! ;)

Peace,

Dawg... dinner out in da Quarter was a nice change but the drive back in the dark through the uninhabited flood zone is still spooky.

It was a pretty good piece. It was funny because I was stationed at Lewis twice and they showed a lot of my old stomping grounds. Literally, I was a light fighter.

I just wonder, with all the trouble they are having with the 105 system why they don't switch to a smaller gun. Use the 76mm that they use on the OHP class FFGs. Sure they would have to do a little more developement to get it up but no more than is projected with the 105 and they would probably be able to get it on a 130 a lot easier. With modern ammo they can get a lot better performance than in the past.

One little gripe. This is not so much about the show but about the Army calling the Mk19 an indirect fire weapon. Yes the projectiles have an arch but they don't have the same trajectory as a mortar. Unless the mount can raise the muzzle up to 90 degrees it is really a direct fire weapon with some indirect ability. I was a gunner on the Mk19 during my first tour at Lewis and all of our "indirect" engagements involved a lot of the same stuff they used to make the Sherman an indirect platform, driving the Hummer onto a ramp or facing it up a hill. It is a great weapon but its capabilities are often misstated.

"the Army calling the Mk19 an indirect fire weapon"

Interesting. I remember from the show watching them spray an area and I think they said they would use the Mk 19 for folks behind stuff... to flush them out and then nail them. Is that right? Since I know squat about the Mk19.. how much of a blast area does it have?

Thanks,

Dawg ... warming in the glow of the Winter Solstice .. and some mighty fine wine. :cool:

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

I just wonder, with all the trouble they are having with the 105 system why they don't switch to a smaller gun. Use the 76mm that they use on the OHP class FFGs.

Weight, perhaps? A ship can carry a lot more than a light armored vehicle. Plus the Army and Navy don't really like to share.

Originally posted by Dawg Bonz:

"the Army calling the Mk19 an indirect fire weapon"

Interesting. I remember from the show watching them spray an area and I think they said they would use the Mk 19 for folks behind stuff... to flush them out and then nail them. Is that right? Since I know squat about the Mk19.. how much of a blast area does it have?

Thanks,

Dawg ... warming in the glow of the Winter Solstice .. and some mighty fine wine. :cool:

The Mk19 is a 40mm and has about the same blast as a grenade. Because of the blast effect you can shoot around someone and expect to have effects but dropping rounds behind a wall like a mortar just isn't going to happen unless they have really changed the mounts since I last fired one.

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

Obviously I mean a verson of it. A 76mm Stryker would be able to carry a lot more ammo than a 105 armed one.

I do agree about the interservice rivalries. Then again they both use the Blackhawk.

Yes indeed, but the Navy calls them "Seahawks"

Thanks sgtgoody (esq) The TV show was a little off on that then as it was indicating the Mk19 is a 40-mm was indirect fire. I am almost certain they spoke of dropping 40-mm rounds behind a building. Seems like the Mk19 would still be a nasty suppressive weapon with 430 rounds for the Mk19.

I wonder if CMSF will have all the toys in the box? ( The snow on the BFC logo is a nice touch )

The Infantry Carrier Vehicle will have a number of different configurations. They include:

Troop Carrier

Mortar Carrier

Anti Tank Guided Missile (TOW) Vehicle

Reconnaissance Vehicle

Fire Support Vehicle

Engineer Support Vehicle

Command Vehicle

Medical Evacuation Vehicle

NBC Vehicle

Dawg... Hoping Santa brings a tire inflation / deflation and a self-recovery winch for Christmas ... for the vehicle not me. ;)

Just looked at the tape of the show, “Anatomy of a Stryker”. The spot on the Mk19 - 40-mm did have a slight disclaimer regarding indirect fire.. ‘when we can’… kinda indicating it don’t happen too often. Looks like you can get a Mk19 or a 50 caliber not both?

Dawg… demolition is such a pleasurable pastime… cough.. cough. We just got US Mail today… 4 months after Katrina!

smile.gif

I got to see the program too while trapped at home (we got three feet of snow that day!) and was fairly impressed with the show. A minimal amount of patriotic hyperbole and flag waving, Admitted the vehicle was being pretty thoroughly beat-on in Iraq. I think they said - I may recall this wrong - that 100 vehicles a month were being passed through the maintenance shop for repair? That's a third of the fleet being repaired at any given time! And they did hint that a few were pretty irreperably damaged. That may account for the 24 vehicle discrepancy between the number of vehicles that first went in-country and the numbers that came back to Washington state for overhaul.

I used to know this - isn't the ratio of .50 cal to 40mm grenade launcher on Strykers about three to one? If three Strykers go on patrol together one is supposed to be carrying the grenade launcher ...but I may have that wrong.

Hypothetical. You get to choose what sits in your Remote weapon station (RWS). If the the MK19 has (430) rounds and the .50 cal has (2000) rounds what would you prefer most?

Seems with the .50 cal. you get an awful lot of lead to toss downwind.

Dawg... a thermal imager for driving back from the French Quarter at night would be nice. ;)

Small dumb question. Doesn't the .50 cal Browning have to cool down a bit after 50-60 rounds are fired? Something I read somewhere.

Also I heard Stryker was having Mk19 problems in Mosul. Lots of jams. Might've had something to do with their restricted gunnery range facilities early-on. I think things eventually got straightened out.

I read one Stryker combat account. In the middle of a big running battle the remote .50 cal runs out of ammo. Time to reload. Only problem is none of the ammo is stored internally! The poor guy had to clamber onto the roof to drag up another ammo box under the worst possible circumstance. Practically crapped his pants in the process.

I think that 430 rounds for the M19 v. 2000 for the M2 is a little misleading. The ROF on the .50 is much higher and you'll be firing in longer bursts. 2000 rounds is a lot of lead, but I think that you would run through it faster than the 430 rounds for the M19 in most situations.

MikeyD. Best I can find on the web is @ 40 rounds per minute are realistic rate of fire for .50 cal. without overheating the barrel. A hot desert might make things a bit toaster? The TV show did demonstrate a protective shied for loading the missiles in the Anti Tank Guided Missile (TOW) Vehicle.

Specifications M2 Heavy Barrel (HB)

Caliber 12.7mm (NATO)

Weight (Complete Gun) 84 Pounds (38.2 kg)

Length 50.2 Inches (1,727mm)

Width 9 Inches (230mm)

Rate of Fire 450-600 Rounds Per Minute

Maximum Effective Range 2,000 Yards (1,830m)

Maximum Range 7,440 Yards (6,800m)

Muzzle Velocity (M33) 2,910 Feet Per Second (890 Meters Per Second)

Barrel Weight 24 Pounds (10.88 kg)

Barrel Construction Stellite®-Lined, Chrome-Plated

Slappy, Most of the .50 cal shown on the show was @ 3 shot bursts but no full auto. I would think the .50 cal capabilities make it ideal for quick reaction against machine gun and mortar positions especially on overlooking positions. The massive 12.7mm, 710 grain round at a muzzle velocity 2800 fps should 'suppress' most bad guys long enough to allow the really lethal tool, the infantry squad, to dismount and take them out.

I do agree that 430 rounds for the M19 should be plenty and should last longer than the .50 cal. . Would be interesting to find out what the troops on the ground now would prefer for their suppressive weapon. The new .50 cal replacement weapon looks very nice.

Dawg... Geaux Tigers... Peachy Keen game smile.gif

40 rpm is what the US army field manuals give for sustained rate - i.e. that which can be fired at continuously - of the .50 cal.

The Mk19, according to FAS.org has the same sustained rate but a lower (2/3rds) cyclic rate.

Does a .50cal round sound much different to a 7.62mm round as it goes past? And would 5 times the 7.62 not cause more suppressive effect? (Sustained rate for FN MAG type weapons, M240 to US military types, is 200rpm.

My guess is the sound coming near (like through the wall you are hiding behind) vs. going past is greater for the .50 caliber than the 7.62 mm. I would think that suppressive effect might be greater with more rounds on area target from the 7.62 mm although getting a few .50 cal round bursting through your 'defensive cover' might be a significant psychological suppressor and convince you to relocate before the dismounted infantry locate you?

Wonder how BFC will create the .50 cal sounds for CMSF?

Dawg... listening to the sound of thunder rolling...