Firefight from rooftop, AT-4 engaged

It think it funny how in all these videos (and I've seen this lots of times) the soldiers have these EXTREMELY convenient low, thick concrete walls to duck behind. I can't think of anyplace in my local area with structures even remotely rsembling them. My theory is when the U.S. is thinking of invading a country they first do a survey to see if there's enough low concrete walls handy. No walls, no invasion. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by MikeyD:

It think it funny how in all these videos (and I've seen this lots of times) the soldiers have these EXTREMELY convenient low, thick concrete walls to duck behind. I can't think of anyplace in my local area with structures even remotely rsembling them. My theory is when the U.S. is thinking of invading a country they first do a survey to see if there's enough low concrete walls handy. No walls, no invasion. :rolleyes:

Here sir...check this out...they are not walls but parapets, very common throughout the world.

Iraqi people will sleep on the roof of their home at night in the heat of summer, the parapet acts as a privacy wall as well as preventing them from rolling off the roof.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parapet#Parapet_roofs

"MikeyD,

Biting comment and droll theory!"

Biting? No no no! The comment was meant to be wry, jocular, waggish (yes, I'm copying from a thesaurus). I will admit to droll though. Its just that that clip eerily resembles a famous clip of U.S. Marines fighting from behind a wall during Tet in '68. The similarities are almost spooky.

To extend the waggish humor, there's also the constant news footage of troops fighting from behind Jersey barriers. Someone with a shakey grasp of cause-and-effect could imagine that contractors were hired to position the barriers in anticipation of a future firefight on that spot. But any fool who's played CM knows you're not going to get footage of firefights over open ground because that's not how these things are done!

I know "cover" is a difficult concept for some to grasp from behind a desk Mikey. But in the field it is often the difference between success and failure. If you put your hatred aside for a moment, even you should be able to grasp that.

I once positioned a claw-footed cast iron bathtub outside of a commonly used entrance to a structure. I filled it with dirt and planted geraniums in it. Much of the crew got a real kick out of that and that tub and I became the subject of a few jokes and humorous passing remarks. A few months later I found myself prone and returning fire from behind that bit of cover. The jokes ceased and in my point of view, some of the crew became a bit more experienced.

"If you put your hatred aside for a moment"

What the **** are you talking about? What am I supposed be hating now? I made a mild humorous observation about a common conceit of YouTube posts. I know what 'cover' is. I'm not an idiot. Are you so brain-dead that that you can't distinguish a joke from a serious thought? Maybe you were offended becaue you think the U.S. DOES invade countries based on the number of low walls they have and I had somehow divulged a top Pentagon planning secret! Let me assure you then. They don't. I didn't. And after visiting Whoville last Christmas I only have love for alll mankind in my little Grinch heart.