How come the sun don't rise anymore - possible bug?

Today, I've been playtesting a scenario of mine that starts at 4.40 am and runs until 6.10am. Before 1.06, the sun rose a little after 5 and changed the nature of the battlefield but this hasn't been happening at all today, not once. It stays dark the entire battle.

So I opened the editor and forwarded the time to 6am and it's brilliant sunshine. So it looks like the sun doesn't rise with 1.06 Bummer. Anybody else seeing this?

hm, iam not sure myself. i have a similar scenario and i observed two things...

1. sometimes the sun seems to rise in the setup phase while no time is runing. i just saw it once and as soon as i hit go, it was dark again. dont know what happened there.

2. i generally belive that the sun still does rise, becouse in the scenario i actually saw it rising with 1.06. but i didnt played it often so far, so maybe it doesn not from time to time!?

Okay, this comes from this morning's playtest. this is the board at 6am...

nearly6am.jpg

It's the same as the scenario start. This lack of light kills this situation and makes it completely unplayable. Red MOUT operations are hard enough without having to do it in low light conditions as well. I'd timed this one so that the player could take advantage of, first, the low light to approach positions and, later, take advantage of the light to attack the village. Now it's broken.

time539.jpg

That's a shame as I get the feeling this will be EXTREMELY LOW priority for fixing.

hi Mark

I don't have a copy of that file anymore as I've already changed it. I've added new terrain and changed the OB etc so it's very different from the file above. To do it again, I'd have to change the time back (not hard to do) and playtest it again. I'm playtesting it again this morning starting at about 5.30am.

Okay, I playtested the scenario a few times again this morning, this time starting at around 5.30am. There's plenty of light available then and it played just fine. However, it definitely didn't get any brighter. By 6am, the sun is very bright but I didn't see this.

Unfortunately, because I was playtesting and it was pretty intense, I forgot to get a save game before I quit but I should get one tomorrow morning for you Mark. (If my dental appointment permits) The scenario is 1hr 30mins long so I'm rarely playing it through to a conclusion. I'm still trying to find that 'sweet spot' for balancing the Blue-Red forces.

Originally posted by Paper Tiger:

Okay, I playtested the scenario a few times again this morning, this time starting at around 5.30am. There's plenty of light available then and it played just fine. However, it definitely didn't get any brighter. By 6am, the sun is very bright but I didn't see this.

Unfortunately, because I was playtesting and it was pretty intense, I forgot to get a save game before I quit but I should get one tomorrow morning for you Mark. (If my dental appointment permits) The scenario is 1hr 30mins long so I'm rarely playing it through to a conclusion. I'm still trying to find that 'sweet spot' for balancing the Blue-Red forces.

Please do...I've got a few things cooking right now or I'd do a test scen myself. I do take this seriosly, however and once I get yours I WILL try to duplicate the result.

Don't forget this is 'real world' sunrise, depending on date and map location. So sunrise in early June and sunrise in late August (or what ever the earliest and latest theatre dates are) will be significantly different times. This feature will be interesting when the game's in Northern Europe on a long summer day. Stand-up fights til after 9pm! :eek:

Originally posted by Paper Tiger:

Today, I've been playtesting a scenario of mine that starts at 4.40 am and runs until 6.10am. Before 1.06, the sun rose a little after 5 and changed the nature of the battlefield but this hasn't been happening at all today, not once. It stays dark the entire battle.

So I opened the editor and forwarded the time to 6am and it's brilliant sunshine. So it looks like the sun doesn't rise with 1.06 Bummer. Anybody else seeing this?

Well, but do we have an explanation for this?

Did anything happen to the 'month' setting?

Best regards,

Thomm

Mark, Yes, the skies are very hazy. I'm at work just now, the dental appointment took ages so no Shock Force for me until much later. I'll try changing the very hazy setting to clear later if I get a chance and post the result.

Now some of you can appreciate why I was a bit disappointed that this feature appears to be broken. It's a beautiful effect and it also changes the gameplay of the scenario. That's the effect I wanted. The map looks better in clear light anyway but it was hazy to fit in with the story in my campaign.

It's definitely the strongest haze setting possible. Now I remember why I picked it, it's because you get that wonderful red glow in the sky with thick haze and I liked the look of it. I'm actually quite happy to reset it to clear skies if I can get the sun to rise again because the map looks at it's best with a clear sky. It will then fit in with my campaign's story line again, ie this misssion must be completed before the sun rises fully...

BTW guys, it's nothing to do with the month or anything. The scenario takes place on the morning on July 12th and it worked just fine until 1.06. The screenshots printed above were taken from the scenario editor by jumping through the different time periods present in the scenario and I recognised them all from my previous experience. Nothing else was changed. My big mistake reporting this was that I omitted to mention that it was thick haze. I just assumed and you know what that does...