Eurogamer Review

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Rastakyle:

Why comment on something you haven't even read?

Someone expressed concern a page or so ago at how low the rating was. There has been concern expressed elsewhere on the forum that poor reviews will kill battlefront altogether. My response is - who cares? It's just some guy with a blog looking for some notoriety. "Hey, look at me - I rated CM:SF lower than anyone else!" </font>

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Under NDA or not, if all you do is say positive things and beat up reviewers, without being specific, you look like a fanboi and people will tend to dismiss your comments.

I am under NDA with automotive companies everyday while having articles published and doing press interviews. They first thing my CEO will say is don't start conversations you can't finish. The second rule in press interviews is if NDAs are a problem, state it up front, not at the end of the conversation.

edit for clarification: That is not a rule, but advice to avoid saying something everyone regrets. I've done it before.

Originally posted by thewood:

Under NDA or not, if all you do is say positive things and beat up reviewers, without being specific, you look like a fanboi and people will tend to dismiss your comments.

My comments aren't for the record or for posterity; they carry no more weight here than yours do or anyone else. Dismiss them or not, I couldn't care less, honestly. We're all just passing time.

I haven't beat up any reviewers. I put the lowest review yet brought to our collective attention into its proper context and perspective. If that bothers people, it is unfortunate, but I don't see the purpose in elevating what is essentially an online diary into something it isn't, either. It is what it is. Some dude gives the game a low rating. Okay. And if the link wasn't posted here, how many people would even know about the review or the site it's hosted on?

And what difference should it make to anybody? The demo is up for download to anybody who wants it. I'm not going to apologize for championing this game any more than I would expect a critic to apologize for criticizing it. But I will wonder what anyone is thinking who would expect otherwise from either one of us.

Sorry, you lost me...

Well, it's not like I'm filtered through a publisher either, right? ;)

It's been a long day. Like the sheepdog and the coyote in the old cartoons, let's punch the time clock and call it a night. See you back here in the morning, lunch pail in hand.

You need to take a very large happy pill before you go to bed. You're also the orneriest guy I have ever encountered North of Maine.

Nah, you're just reading excessive crankiness into my posts that isn't there. Didn't I use a winky face just now? smile.gif Electronic media are funny. If you're waiting around for me to tuck you in, it isn't gonna happen. tongue.gif

Michael Dorosh,

Not "arse" but "ars" as in "ars gratia artis" (art for art's sake) in the MGM logo. Latin. Thus, the URL broadly means "the art of the geek." See also the popular title Ars Magica. Surely, you're not going to argue that little gaming empire was about a magical tush?

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by Grumbling Grognard:

I still get a grin when people try to say this game has WEGO ... I vastly prefer WEGO, but this is a new game with a new engine get used to it.

*scratches head*

WTF have I been playing then? It looks like WEGO. It plays like WEGO. But GG says it ain't so. WTF is it then?

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Thus, the URL broadly means "the art of the geek."

Nah. The average internet surfer sees "arse-geek." Seven years of University and two degrees and that's what I saw. Joe Sixpack (or for that matter, Joe Shaw, and damn you all for making me invoke his name twice in the same thread) has no more reason than me to recall Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer's motto.

"Arsgeek" is the same kind of high-mindedness that gets kids beaten up in high school. I'm not saying it should, I'm saying sometimes you can be too clever for your own good. No one ever actually hit me for carrying a briefcase to class in Grade X, but they probably should have. ;) It got replaced in short order with a nice canvas bookbag, just like everybody else's. I think the closest my friends came was when Curtis named his intramural volleyball team Ballwaffe in emulation of the German Air Force. He didn't get beat up often enough either.

It's not a bad name once you have it explained to you, I guess. Still makes me giggle, though.

Cool, i found the "Michael Dorosh" thread.

Can an Admin delete the other posts plz.

Hello Mom.

@Reviewer of the game:

They can only review what they have seen and not what will be in 2 years, 2 Month, 2 weeks.

I dont wanne know their opinion about the game, i want a subjective report about a game without their opinion.

I realy like CMSF (i need days to get this feeling), i am waiting for the patch.

The game will be great.

But at this moment, the eurogamer review hit the nail.

I'm not trying to be contrary or anything, but what is the problem with the WEGO? I primarily play WEGO and so far I have had no problems with it. It is a little different in that you see the turn being compiled but other than that, what exactly has changed?

And if the link wasn't posted here, how many people would even know about the review or the site it's hosted on?

LOL!

It currently is the first freakin' hit for Google 'shock force review'!

Best regards,

Thomm

David Duke writing a thoughtful piece on how the Holocaust never happened in Aryan Nations Monthly bears a little less weight than if it was published in Newsweek.

:eek:

This was the worst post from someone affiliated with BFC i've ever read.

Are you gone completely crazy? Do you think all BFC customers believe in this myth?

It's not a good idea at all, to bring such topics into a company's forum - be it if you believe the earth were flat, or not.

Only one word from BFC, that they only want politically correct customers, and i'm away and send my game back, which is finally on it's way. I'm definately not willing to support a company, that treats me as idiot, only because i don't share their political opinion.

But i'm quite sure, you don't have the permission from Steve to take BFC into your captivity making unfounded and rediculously political comparisons.

The biggest lies can be found in the biggest media, Mr. Weapons Of Mass Destruction!

A blog has no editorial policy other than that of the owner-cum-creator, for one thing. Declaring one's own words to be important is significantly less meaningful than having a publisher say so.
Following this ecellent logic, how much less important must be the words of forum members...

I'm wondering why Steve and the others are even reading the forum...

Incredible.

[ August 02, 2007, 02:37 AM: Message edited by: Steiner14 ]

Originally posted by Steiner14:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

David Duke writing a thoughtful piece on how the Holocaust never happened in Aryan Nations Monthly bears a little less weight than if it was published in Newsweek.

:eek:

This was the worst post from someone affiliated with BFC i've ever read.

Are you gone completely crazy? Do you think all BFC customers believe in this myth?

It's not a good idea at all, to bring such topics into a company's forum - be it if you believe the earth were flat, or not.

Only one word from BFC, that they only want politically correct customers, and i'm away and send my game back, which is finally on it's way. I'm definately not willing to support a company, that treats me as idiot, only because i don't share their political opinion.

But i'm quite sure, you don't have the permission from Steve to take BFC into your captivity making unfounded and rediculously political comparisons.

The biggest lies can be found in the biggest media, Mr. Weapons Of Mass Destruction!

A blog has no editorial policy other than that of the owner-cum-creator, for one thing. Declaring one's own words to be important is significantly less meaningful than having a publisher say so.
Following this ecellent logic, how much less important must be the words of forum members...

I'm wondering why Steve and the others are even reading the forum...

Incredible. </font>I think you misunderstood that post.

But I haven't commented on the review. At all.

Which is, of course, a bald-faced lie. You wrote:

"It's just some guy with a blog looking for some notoriety. "Hey, look at me - I rated CM:SF lower than anyone else!""

Claiming that the review is something that it isn't. Sorry man. And with the arse "witticism", you just shot the last of your credibility.

So because a simpleton/yokel/schoolyard bully might mistake the name for something else, that invalidates the opinions set forth on the site? How moronic can a person get?