Game length in campaigns?

Hi,

My guess is that battle length will be way too short for my eccentric tastes in the shipped campaigns ;) . To give a feel for my eccentricity if the average shipped battle in CMBB was 35 turns, I would edit them to 90 minutes. Why?... because I think the game lengths unrealistically short in the shipped games. Battles, even for small villages between company and battalion sized units would historically normally/often take a couple hours, not thirty minutes.

Anyway… my question is can battle length be edited in campaigns? I know there is no formal editing of campaigns in the first outing of CMX2… but is it possible to go into the text files and manuals edit the battle lengths?

In fact is it possible generally to edit campaigns by going into the text files and changing things? I know there is no formal campaigns editor.

All good fun,

hugely looking forward to CMSF,

all the best,

Kip.

You can tie any scenarios together with a text file to make a campaign; the text file determines the battle lengths along with the other parameters. Battles in CMSF seem to be longer than in previous titles (times are typically 30-90 minutes depending on the size).

• 2 weeks later...

I wish CM could simplify some commands. Ressuply should commence automaticaly if squad is low on ammo and next to a Stryker. Command could be in too of course. Also, I hope they have borrowed some things from RTS, eg instant ordering with just a mouseclick(no keyboard shortcuts for basic commands like target/quick movement/reverse .Real time will be chaotic if there is a lot to micro manage. Just my guess of course.

Originally posted by kipanderson:

Hi,

My guess is that battle length will be way too short for my eccentric tastes in the shipped campaigns ;) . To give a feel for my eccentricity if the average shipped battle in CMBB was 35 turns, I would edit them to 90 minutes. Why?... because I think the game lengths unrealistically short in the shipped games. Battles, even for small villages between company and battalion sized units would historically normally/often take a couple hours, not thirty minutes.

Agreed this was one of my major pet peeves with many otherwise excellent CM scenarios.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the average scenario time is somewhere around an hour, though I haven't done an exhaustive survey. The new game does seem to play slower, perhaps because new weapons are so much more lethal that a wrong move can be much more devastating. I don't think you'll be disappointed in this, Kip.

I disagree with the assumption that a game should be fought in "real time" though. Since CM doesn't simulate casualty evacuation or ammunition resupply (actually, CM:SF does have small elements of this in as it happens in the most forward elements), it isn't possible to recreate the decision making "tree" that would extend a typical platoon action to two or three hours. There is a discussion on this in the CM:AK forum right now, I think.

The use of time constraints is a valuable tool for scenario designers in "balancing" a scenario. I think we've discussed this before, Kip - if you're playing to please yourself, you're free to give yourself all the time in the world, as it doesn't matter. But you can't extend the game length of a battle designed for two players and then take on someone in battle, if that mission has been sufficiently played and deemed to be balanced at that point. Time constraints occur in real life, and occur in CM and games like it for very good reasons. Yes, they appear arbritrary in a game setting, but a lot of things are arbitrary in order to make the game work - all games are designed that way.

No one really wants to play a platoon or company action where you sit around for four hours hiding and then spend 10 minutes shooting. It's realistic to be sure, but all tactical level games compress the action into shorter amounts of time for playability's sake.

[ June 25, 2007, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

I had a slow old machine while playing CMx1. That meant for each 1 minute turn I'd spend a couple minutes plotting movement and another minute just waiting for the darned blue bar to process! That means in CMSF a 1 hour scenario in either realtime or WeGo could take substantially less actual sit-down time to play than a 30 minute CMx1 game.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I had a slow old machine while playing CMx1. That meant for each 1 minute turn I'd spend a couple minutes plotting movement and another minute just waiting for the darned blue bar to process! That means in CMSF a 1 hour scenario in either realtime or WeGo could take substantially less actual sit-down time to play than a 30 minute CMx1 game.

The worst part is going back to play CM:BB and spinning the mouse wheel til you're blue in the face and not have it do anything. :mad: