The Peng Challenge Gets All Strategery

Lars

Originally posted by Bugged:

Sincere condolences to you and yours, Mr Peng.

Mine as well. If there is anything you need, remember - ask NG Cavscout. Not me.

Just read the article - how much of an impression does one have to make before other people are writing about your passing. Very impressive, small consolation to know that she'll be missed so widely.

I guess being critical runs in the family, eh? <---no smiley

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine as well. If there is anything you need, remember - ask NG Cavscout. Not me.

Just read the article - how much of an impression does one have to make before other people are writing about your passing. Very impressive, small consolation to know that she'll be missed so widely.

Thanks for the well wishing, kind thoughts and words. The Trenton Times article is nice. I was very glad to see it. OW was not so much a food critic as a Good Food Booster. Before I got married I was her 'associate taster' for several years. I enjoyed some of the best food in the universe with her, and some of the worst, and once, nothing at all.

Here's the scene:

Not so OW and I are the only two customers in a restaraunt on a Friday evening, which is, of course, a bad sign. The place was recommended by a reader. We are seated promptly by a waitress in a tux-like uniform with a 50's beehive hairdo and a fake flower in it who is chewing gum. Oh, no. We order a bottle of nice chianti and wait. And wait. And wait. Finally the wine arrives along with some re-heated several day old rolls. We exchange worried looks and proceed to the wine, which was not so much as presented but clunked -already open - on our table. It is fine. Whew. We place our orders and wait. And wait. And wait. We practically FINISH the bottle of wine waiting.

Eventually the waitress comes over to our table and says, "I'm sorry for the long wait but cook won't let me in the kitchen. There's something wrong with the dog."

"Something wrong with the dog?"

"Yeah, cook says I can't come in because the dog is sick. He keeps shaking or something."

"Very sorry about the dog. May we have our check for the wine please?"

"Ya sure? Cook says I can come in in a few minutes."

"Yes, we're sure. Thank you so much, and I hope the dog feels better."

We hightailed it out of there and laughed all the way to Plan B - whatever it was - and laughed all through dinner at Plan B. She never wrote about the place with the dog, and was releived to hear that it met its timely demise not long after. Not sure if the dog ever recovered.

She even had her own Mortal Enemy. Some guy who's signature we couldn't read - it was either Nick, or Vick or Rick, something with an 'ick' at the end - who VEHEMENTLY disagreed with pretty much everything she ever wrote, every place she ever reviewed, and even with her choice of entree. He wrote to her almost weekly for years to tell her just how awful she was. "You eat like a cow." "Its a Trenton Paper. Who the hell wants to go to the Shore to eat? Reveiw somewhere closer!" "Too much butter and salt!" "That place is too expensive for regular people." "This is the best place ever, I can't believe you didn't like it!"

At the end, even *ick had a nice thing to say. "I read you every week, even though I disagreed with almost everything you ever wrote."

Kinda neat.

Unlike her son, she never used her powers for evil.

Thanks for the well wishing, kind thoughts and words. The Trenton Times article is nice. I was very glad to see it. OW was not so much a food critic as a Good Food Booster. Before I got married I was her 'associate taster' for several years. I enjoyed some of the best food in the universe with her, and some of the worst, and once, nothing at all.

Here's the scene:

Not so OW and I are the only two customers in a restaraunt on a Friday evening, which is, of course, a bad sign. The place was recommended by a reader. We are seated promptly by a waitress in a tux-like uniform with a 50's beehive hairdo and a fake flower in it who is chewing gum. Oh, no. We order a bottle of nice chianti and wait. And wait. And wait. Finally the wine arrives along with some re-heated several day old rolls. We exchange worried looks and proceed to the wine, which was not so much as presented but clunked -already open - on our table. It is fine. Whew. We place our orders and wait. And wait. And wait. We practically FINISH the bottle of wine waiting.

Eventually the waitress comes over to our table and says, "I'm sorry for the long wait but cook won't let me in the kitchen. There's something wrong with the dog."

"Yeah, cook says I can't come in because the dog is sick. He keeps shaking or something."

We hightailed it out of there and laughed all the way to Plan B - whatever it was - and laughed all through dinner at Plan B. She never wrote about the place with the dog, and was releived to hear that it met its timely demise not long after. Not sure if the dog ever recovered.

She even had her own Mortal Enemy. Some guy who's signature we couldn't read - it was either Nick, or Vick or Rick, something with an 'ick' at the end - who VEHEMENTLY disagreed with pretty much everything she ever wrote, every place she ever reviewed, and even with her choice of entree. He wrote to her almost weekly for years to tell her just how awful she was. "You eat like a cow." "Its a Trenton Paper. Who the hell wants to go to the Shore to eat? Reveiw somewhere closer!" "Too much butter and salt!" "That place is too expensive for regular people." "This is the best place ever, I can't believe you didn't like it!"

At the end, even *ick had a nice thing to say. "I read you every week, even though I disagreed with almost everything you ever wrote."

Kinda neat.

Here's the scene:

Kinda neat.

Originally posted by MrPeng:

But I am sure, Oh Peng, that she was proud of the evil you have wrought.

I sorrow for your loss, MrPeng, my freind. It is hard to lose a parent, especially a Mom. They are so often so much better than we are. I enjoyed the story about her, and agree that it is at least a delight to see a life that touched so many others.

You hang in, contact me if there's anything I can do to make you feel better. Like maybe going into the GF and clubbing Dorosh to death like a baby harp seal with a cleft palate? It's no trouble, really.

Now I am sad. I think I will go to bed.

I sorrow for your loss, MrPeng, my freind. It is hard to lose a parent, especially a Mom. They are so often so much better than we are. I enjoyed the story about her, and agree that it is at least a delight to see a life that touched so many others.

You hang in, contact me if there's anything I can do to make you feel better. Like maybe going into the GF and clubbing Dorosh to death like a baby harp seal with a cleft palate? It's no trouble, really.