Modding - a quick overview

Columbus, that shouldnt be necessary as files should be named in a reasonably straight forward manner (depending on how late I made them ;) ). For instance a Pz-IVg tank might be made up of PzIVg-turret.bmp, PzIVg-Hull.bmp and PzIVg-details.bmp (details could be anything...for instance we may put the vision block glass in a seperate 'material' in order to all up to add reflection to it).

Modding should be really interesting for you guys in CMx2 by the way! The considerably more detailed vehicles are both a blessing and a nightmare, hehe. For instance, much of the detailed that had to be simulated by textures in CMx1 is now handled by the model itself (and has light reflected off it correctly by the engine of course). Thus, for instance, in CMx1 we needed to create a raised surface around an engine cover by hand giving it a 3D appearance including simulated lighting...that wont be necessary any more. On the other hand if you want to get a neat row of bolts around the top of that engine cover they will need to be *exactly* in place or they wont actually be on the raised surface.

The results though should well be worth the effort!

Dan

Disclaimer : And the Pz-IVg was just an example...it should not be taken as an indicator of CMx2 setting either way :D

[ August 29, 2005, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Disclaimer : And the Tiger was just an example...it should not be taken as an indicator of CMx2 setting either way :D

Tigers??? Tigers??? I guess the first game will be Vietnam. Always stay in the f-ing boat, man. Always stay in the f-ing boat.

What about PzIVg? ;)

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Columbus, that shouldnt be necessary as files should be named in a reasonably straight forward manner (depending on how late I made them ;) ). For instance a Pz-IVg tank might be made up of PzIVg-turret.bmp, PzIVg-Hull.bmp and PzIVg-details.bmp (details could be anything...for instance we may put the vision block glass in a seperate 'material' in order to all up to add reflection to it).

Modding should be really interesting for you guys in CMx2 by the way! The considerably more detailed vehicles are both a blessing and a nightmare, hehe. For instance, much of the detailed that had to be simulated by textures in CMx1 is now handled by the model itself (and has light reflected off it correctly by the engine of course). Thus, for instance, in CMx1 we needed to create a raised surface around an engine cover by hand giving it a 3D appearance including simulated lighting...that wont be necessary any more. On the other hand if you want to get a neat row of bolts around the top of that engine cover they will need to be *exactly* in place or they wont actually be on the raised surface.

The results though should well be worth the effort!

Dan

Disclaimer : And the Pz-IVg was just an example...it should not be taken as an indicator of CMx2 setting either way :D

Actually, upon reflection, I'm rather puzzled. If the dimmensional aspects of the models are going to be lighted dynamically, then any "drawn" details, e.g., rivets, bolts, and other added "stuff" won't stay in synch with the dynamic lighting as the model moves with respect to the light source. Will this cause too much of a visual disontinuity to make it worth while adding such details?

I think you'll find in practice details like bolts and panel lines will work just the same as currently, but that the lighting engine will handle differential shading of entire faces based on light source. As long as all the details are shaded the same way, it isn't too obvious. I recently ported a Stuart III for some guys to some game (I forget the name) that worked that way for lighting, and the results looked fine.

Gordon, it would depend on where they are and what they are. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that Dan is going to be concerned about the same thing as he makes the models. Difference is, if he doesn't like the way it looks he can change either the model or the texture to make the end product look good. That should cull the potential problem areas for modders before you see it in the game.

COG... we'll see what we can do :D

Steve

Gorden, yes, its a bit of a juggling act. The trick is to get the right balance of detail between the textures and the 3D models so that the lack of depth to the textures looks reasonably unnoticable.

Generally speaking any 3D game with dynamic lighting makes these sort of concessions and unless you go looking you never really notice any problems smile.gif

Dan

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

...We are planning on allowing multiple vehicle textures within the same game for the same vehicle. This means you might have 5 tanks and 3 different texture sets. We are not sure if we are going to hardcode the number or allow CM to use whatever it made available to it. That has a lot to do with VRAM usage so it isn't simply a creative queation (i.e. there are technical aspects to consider).

Steve

This is great! If I'm interpreting this correctly, this would mean that there could be multiple PZ IVH's running around and each could potentially look different. WOW!

Another great improvement!

Steve, Marco and Dan,

Ok, we'll have to see what the balance is between what can be added versus what doesn't look right when the dynamic lighting shifts. I am moderately relieved, and look forward to seeing how it all works and what is possible within the dynamic lighting system. :D

Hmmmm it a shame about the TO&E, not being able to change, unless your meaning just the names and firing power. That I am totally able to understand

I am hoping your able to change in the HQ platoon configuration, so that your able to add or remove platoon squads to a commander to replicate historical battles.

Say for instance the paratroop drops in normandy where a Lt was leading a oversized platoons or more of men with all the organisation messed up.

And will you be able to select the ranks of the leaders not just Cpt/Lt/Mj to be used better in scenario editing??

Ack.. pls disregard the bit below guys.. just found the info lower down the thread pile!

Steve & Dan , can you guys give us any ideas as to the specs needed to run the game..... cpu speed / ram and min video card please ?

Really looking forward to the new CMX2 Family smile.gif

Best regards

Måkjager

[ September 01, 2005, 08:00 AM: Message edited by: Måkjager ]