PBEM - file size?

Nope, no compression benefits. Same was pretty much true for CMx1 PBEM files too. The reason is the data is already compressed so it will take up as little RAM and I/O time as possible. So if you have a 3.5MB turn file, it's going to be a 3.5MB attachment. There's no way around this. Which is exactly why I warned people eons ago that PBEM might not be possible, but of course people said "the files could be 1000MB, I don't care!" smile.gif

Steve

speaking of old ****, of old storage media, like games on cassettes for Texas Instruments, I just found these! I used to love these as a kid.

Text Based Adventure!

Don't know if anyone has played them but as you wait for CMSF.... some are not easy. Well at least they weren't then, we'll see....

[ May 22, 2007, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: VonWebb ]

Are the complete scenarios informations stored in the PBEM files as it was the case in the CM1 games (AFAIK)?

If yes, how much of the PBEM file is just static scenario information, and wouldn't it make more sense to leave them out of the PBEM file in this case? That both players are using the same scenario file can be proofen by a checksum relativ easily (I think).

I'm not so much worried about a problem with the bandwith, but with emailservers. Emailboxes could be overloaded with just two or three files.

Emailprogs like Outlook (Express) as well as antispam or antivirus programs can cause many problems with large files, too.

there are quite a few file exchange programs, client based that will exchange files, upload them to a remote computer, directly. doesn't Aim do that? i know iChat does (but that doesn't help, i know). Also just register for a gmail account. it gives you what, 3 gigs of storage space and handles very large files? I think the options are numerous.

[ May 22, 2007, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: VonWebb ]

Map data can't be left out. Same was true in CMx1 as it is now. Programming wise it just doesn't work, though conceptually it might make some sense. So yes, the map data is stored in the file. Good news is that it constitutes a tiny percentage of a file's size. As little as less than 1% in some cases, probably not more than 1% in most cases.

The things that bloat file size are, just as they were in CMx1, orders, whose shooting at whom, units moving, damage to the map, damage to units, etc. All that stuff has to be tracked for 60 seconds and written down in one place. Think of all the stuff that goes on within 60 seconds even in a battle where not much is happening (like one force moving into attack positions). That's what pumps up the file size, and there isn't any way to reduce it.

Steve

No problem, Steve! smile.gif As many of us said before, we are willing to accept whatever PBEM file sizes are necessary in the games based on the CMII engine, just so long as we have PBEM available for us as a play option. smile.gif I'm sure you've made the file sizes as small and efficient as possible, and that's good enough for me. smile.gif

"Snailmail via floppy methinks?"

That'll have to be one BIG floppy! smile.gif

Now that I think of it those little portable plug-in transport drives are really really cheap (I carry a 1 gig drive on my keychain that cost me nine bucks). Get yourself one for swapping back & forth.

It's a bit hard to tell at the moment, what with debug code still being stored in there and what not, but I don't expect a PBEM turn to exceed 10MB. I don't think they usually will come even close to that, but like I said... it is highly variable and dependent on the details of that one specific 60 second spot within that specific scenario.

Steve