Custom/Quick battles

We can still do these right? I mean, with the whole scope decrease and all i sometimes get the feeling that we're only going to get a campaign mode that we play through with our battalion or company or whatever, and then a couple missions for single player.

ignorant question? very much so. Just not willing to do the research, or rational thinking.

I don't recall a specific answer, but comments on other topics would seem to confirm that Custom and/or QBs are still in.

For example, IIRC BFC has stated that Blue-on-Blue, and possibly even Red-on-Red will likely be a play option. Since neither of these could be part of a campaign (unless you wanted to model a REALLY extreme Friendly Fire incident!!), the logical conclusion is that they are including a Custom and/or QB option in the game.

Cheers,

YD

I seem to recall them saying that including a scenario maker is a high priority for them. But they've suggested that it won't be quite so simple as in CMx1. Between the different terrain engine and the much more detailed setup phase the learning curve could be pretty steep.

I can imagine with a more sophisticated setup phase the chance of something going disasterously WRONG in your home-made scenario goes up significantly if you do a sloppy job!

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

I don't recall a specific answer, but comments on other topics would seem to confirm that Custom and/or QBs are still in.

For example, IIRC BFC has stated that Blue-on-Blue, and possibly even Red-on-Red will likely be a play option. Since neither of these could be part of a campaign (unless you wanted to model a REALLY extreme Friendly Fire incident!!), the logical conclusion is that they are including a Custom and/or QB option in the game.

Cheers,

YD

hmmm, blue-on-blue. That would make for very interesting scenarios. Those type of battles did occur in reality, like in "Battle Ready" by Tom Clancy, where Tony Zinni detailingly describes a battle between South Vietnamese Marines and ARVN troops.

[ June 29, 2006, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Iron_man ]

• 6 months later...
Originally posted by Iron_man:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by YankeeDog:

Cheers,

YD

hmmm, blue-on-blue. That would make for very interesting scenarios. Those type of battles did occur in reality, like in "Battle Ready" by Tom Clancy, where Tony Zinni detailingly describes a battle between South Vietnamese Marines and ARVN troops. </font>

Originally posted by stikkypixie:

Way of topic of course, but why would the SV marines fight the ARVN??

interesting story actually, Zinni was a "supervisor" for a unit of SV Marines who, at the time, where moving into a little town of some sort (can't recall), in the town they happened to spot an ARVN armored unit with whom they once mounted an attack alongside each other against VC, but during the battle, the poorly trained ARVN APCs panicked and fled, leaving many of the SV Marines stranded in the hot zone. In any case, Zinni walked into a building in the town for one reason or another (i think it was to meet with the ARVN commander), and before he knew it, .50 cal and rifle fire erupted on the street.

Brave ol' Zinni actually ran out into the middle of the gunfight and screamed at his Marines to cease fire, as did the ARVN commander. very surprising when i read it.

Note there is a big difference between the occasional, and usually short lived, blue on blue firefight and what we're including in CM. What we're doing is basically making a completely divorced from reality "best tactician wins" setting. In this setting hardware differences are rulled out, so in theory the better tactician will win the battle instead of perhaps a weaker one who happens to have better weapons.

Steve