Who here has actually been to Syria?

Well I have been to Syria. Back in the good old days of Assad Senior. Not this pussy little wannabe son of his. Back when you could see the Israeli jets permanently loitering 6 inches inside the airspace border.

I think the fact that I have been to Syria makes me uniquely qualified to comment on this game.

I have also been to France and Germany and Britain and the USA. That made me an expert on CMBO.

I haven’t been to Russia, so I wasn’t quite such a CMBB buff, but I still bought it and enjoyed it.

I have been to Egypt, including El Alamein. So I could have been a big CMAK expert. But I didn’t buy it because my computer was too crap.

What was the question again?

Will there be a Krak des Chavaliers scenario?

I disagree with dalem, whatever it is.

There was an excellent BBC programme , in fact a series, called "Holidays in the Danger Zone". Amongst holidays in Iran, NK, on the Amazon, Congo, and Ganges, was Syria which came over very well. Lots of chat with the locals about things etc.

Did you see the Krak? I wish to see it and had been mooting a Cypriot holiday with a side trip to Syria.

Originally posted by dieseltaylor:

There was an excellent BBC programme , in fact a series, called "Holidays in the Danger Zone". Amongst holidays in Iran, NK, on the Amazon, Congo, and Ganges, was Syria which came over very well. Lots of chat with the locals about things etc.

Did you see the Krak? I wish to see it and had been mooting a Cypriot holiday with a side trip to Syria.

I was very impressed with the people in Syria. They were incredibly friendly. If I had accepted every invitation for tea that was made, I would still be there. No hassle from anybody to buy anything or whatever. This was back in about 1992. I remember that I had tourist visa #14 ever issued from the Syrian consulate in Istanbul.

Krak was truly impressive, especially the view over the Levantine plains below. Palmyra was impressive too. In both cases, what was most impressive was that we were the only ones there.

There has been a lot of tourism in the 13 or so years since then. I imagine a place like Krak is very polished up and charging a US$30 entry fee now.

I was there in 1994 and again 2004. I really love that place. Definitely up there for being the most interesting place of the 30 or so countries I've been to. Considering the beat up for a wizz bang modern combat sim in the blurb I'm pretty disappointed with the force choices we've ended up with. Ce la gerre I 'spose.

Originally posted by Sergei:

Listen, DUDE, we really didn't want to hear that you've been to his anus. But now that we know, please tell us more.

Sorry bro I've said too much already...you'll have to buy my book "Ivan Drago: Adventures In On And Around Uranus; A Space Opera; Not Unlike A Cold Fish Chowder....Maybe Spicier...."

I know, big title, publisher's fault...I wanted to call it Fudgey Pants...but hey whataya gonna do?

Good read though! If I do say so myself...and I do!

Originally posted by Ivan Drago:

Jeez, if you gave me forewarning I would have trimmed the backyard...

Point taken...and uh...thanks for the rash... stubbly...

I now return you to the more serious and less twisted version of this discussion already in progress....

Mord.

Spent a very pleasant fortnight there a few years ago.

Just dug out some of my snaps actually. Not very good quality but:

Street scenes

http://home.clara.net/headcount/Syria02.html

Central/eastern region

http://home.clara.net/headcount/Syria01.html

Skylines

http://home.clara.net/headcount/Syria03.html

Ruined town near Golan Heights

http://home.clara.net/headcount/Syria04.html

Originally posted by Mord:

Sorry bro I've said too much already...you'll have to buy my book "Ivan Drago: Adventures In On And Around Uranus; A Space Opera; Not Unlike A Cold Fish Chowder....Maybe Spicier...."

I know, big title, publisher's fault...I wanted to call it Fudgey Pants...but hey whataya gonna do?

Good read though! If I do say so myself...and I do!

Mord.

Don't worry! That guest appearence on 'Queer Eye for the Straight Guy' you booked should make that book fly off the shelves like hot cakes in a refugee camp.

Thanks to Uranus we'll all be rich! Wait, did i spell that right?

Originally posted by Muletears:

Spent a very pleasant fortnight there a few years ago...

That was you?! I don't remember that, and those pictures don't look like my ... wait a second, we're talking about Syria now? :confused:

Seriously though, cool photos. I hope BFC has access to a lot more of those - I personally wasn't able to find pictures nearly that cool, but then my Google skillz are lacking.

Sounds like a cool vacation.

EDITED FOR EXTRA SEXINESS

[ October 10, 2005, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: Ivan Drago ]

Don't worry! That guest appearence on 'Queer Eye for the Straight Guy' you booked should make that book fly off the shelves like hot cakes in a refugee camp.

Thanks to Uranus we'll all be rich! Wait, did i spell that right?

EXCELLENT I am in need of a better quiche recipe too so I'll kill two birds with one stone!

With the proceeds maybe we could invade Syria a year and a half ahead of schedule, get our names on the box cover...

And that's Uranus BTW not Myanus...totally different solar system...

Mord.

P.S Great Pics Muletears!

Originally posted by Muletears:

Spent a very pleasant fortnight there a few years ago.

Just dug out some of my snaps actually. Not very good quality but:

Street scenes

http://home.clara.net/headcount/Syria02.html

I spent an amazing afternoon on the roof of the bazaar at Aleppo. We were taken up there by some fabric salesmen who had small elevator in the back of their shop. We spent a long while roaming over the chaotic constructions that have been jumbled together over the years. They even have loads of fig trees growing up there from cracks in the concrete. Slurping down a juicy fig and looking down through dusty window skylights at life in the bazaar was a truly unique experience.

What impressed me about the airport in Damascus was the shell game the Syrian air force seemed to be playing with its fighters. There were four concrete bunkers for every plane. From the air they all looked occupied, unless you shot them with infra-red or looked very closely. From the ground it was easy to tell which were empty.

Originally posted by Affentitten:

They were incredibly friendly. If I had accepted every invitation for tea that was made, I would still be there.

Ahh yes, warm arab hospitality, I remember it well. I recall walking into a shop in not-so-glamorous portion of a city in an unnamed Gulf country. The owner immediately signalled to his boy who got the chairs from out of the store room for us to sit down.

Owner: 'Would you like some tea?'

You: 'No thanks we'd just like to quickly pick something up.'

Owner: 'How about some water, milk, juice then?'

And you start thinking to say 'no' would be insulting, so maybe just a glass of juice then...

Yes, a 2-minute duck into a shop can easily turn into 10, 15, 20 minutes or more.

Ahh, nostalgia... ;)

Originally posted by Erik Springelkamp:

And a military attack on Syria would kill thousands of these friendly civilians, ruin the infrastructure, give fanatical islamists a chance, and also destroy the position of the large christian minority there.

All for world power.

That is what I dislike about the game's setting.

Erik, I agree to a point but do not want to get involved in a political discussion in this forum. Even after CM:SF was announced as a UN action, some have been touting 'the US is gonna kick Syria's ass' line. Lets wait and see. Perhaps the UN will limit US airpower, LOAC (as opposed to ROE) will be a real concern and we can avoid some unconventional aspects of war in this sim that go against Geneva conventions. Keep a cool head mate! ;)

Originally posted by Bigduke6:

Yes, but if you spend the 20 minutes, you can always haggle down the vendor, and usually by a good amount. Levantine proverb: Only a lazy fool, or a foreigner, pays retail.

Oh I agree. It was a computer shop BTW. Our laptop blew up and we needed a new one. Even a 5% discount in these circumstances pleases us and works into the hands of Arab hospitality. At the time we could have been a lot more gracious to the hospitality, but sadly we were travelling with some meatheads who just wanted to breeze in, buy what we needed and POQ. Sad really. I keep remembering more about the situation - this tiny store with a tiny storeroom and the guy fishing chairs out for us... classic! :D

Originally posted by Erik Springelkamp:

And a military attack on Syria would kill thousands of these friendly civilians, ruin the infrastructure, give fanatical islamists a chance, and also destroy the position of the large christian minority there.

All for world power.

That is what I dislike about the game's setting.

Oh good one....very touching...

Kinda like when we bombed Germany and killed all those friendly civilians that didn't give two ****s for Nazi or the Third Reich and just wanted to live their lives?...Kinda like just about every single war that was ever fought on this planet that ended up getting innocent people killed?....Here's an idea for all you super sensitive progressive guy's that won't give it a rest; change your hobby ...jesus....or in the least keep your political views to yourself.

IT'S ONLY A GAME! GET IT? GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME. Not a reason to drown us in your whiney agenda every other post....

Mord.

Originally posted by Mord:

Kinda like when we bombed Germany and killed all those friendly civilians that didn't give two ****s for Nazi or the Third Reich and just wanted to live their lives?

Mord, I get the bit about civilians getting killed accidently in every war, but I'd never try and justify 100,000's of [German] civilians getting killed on the grounds of their nation's prevalent political beliefs. Thats as bad as Nazism itself. Try understanding the nature of total war and the limitations of bomber technology and you're probably on the right track.

This thread is getting waayyy off topic. :rolleyes: