The case for status to be displayed in unit icons

In CM1 you could alter the size of your units and so see them from all over the map. In SF, due to 1-1 representation, this is no longer possible. So unless you zoom in on every single unit you can't get a good view of what's actually happening.

Basically, if you're like me, you play using the icons.

Therefore, does it not make sense to display the unit status in the icons? Swap the graphics from standing to lying down for pinned, change the colour for casualties, have an indicator for ammo. I assume it's all possible, and to my mind very desirable. I would be happy if it even just gave me the pinned status.

I know each individual has their own state in the game - and that's excellent - but the unit itself must have some kind of global morale. If the icon showed this the game would, IMHO, be far more playable. Especially in RT.

It doesn't break the design philosophy of the game, you could even start to introduce FOW factors to it, it just gives a quick at-a-glance guide to how each unit is doing.

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

Yes, sniper and AT team icons would be great!

I would like to also see red icons for disabled soldiers in the squad roster instead of them simply vanishing!

Best regards,

Thomm

Or perhaps have the casualties "grayed out" so to better understand unit strength

OK...all forgiven. The icon as is shows either an identified unit or question mark. An identified marker might be color coded light to dark for suppression and a line through the icon to indicate a unit identified as under 50% strength. The Key word, though is identified. I'd like it to be possibly wrong as a FOW.

• 2 weeks later...

We actually have this sitting on a shelf ready to go :D By that I mean the icon art was done weeks ago, we just haven't had any time to implement a new feature like this. The way it will work, whenever we get it implemented, is you can choose which attribute you want to focus on and the icons will show how units rank relative to that attribute's low and top end.

So yeah... we'll get it in there at some point!

Steve

Oh, and we also want to get more icon types implemented as well. The problem is deciding where to cut things off because theoretically each unique unit type would benefit from having a unique icon. It's a slippery slope, however I agree that we probably could add a few more in before sliding down the wrong side of the slope.

Steve

Fantastic, I think. If the indicators have a graphic to show state, plus you can select which state is shown: brilliant.

Hopefully you can instantly tell what was being shown, so you don't mistake a full-ammo pinned squad from an empty non-pinned.

Having them flash when the unit takes a casualty/damage would be good too.

I'll now shut up about this and wait eagerly for implementation.