What made you "fall in love" with tanks?

daskal

Hungary, my country was occupied by the russians from 1945-1990. I was only a little kid in the 1980-ies, so I didnt really understood what was going on. You could almost everywhere see a T-72 or a T-55. I remember we even had a disarmed T-72 in our playground!!! And I found it OK back than, because it was really cool to play with a real tank smile.gif as a kid.

Fortunately the russians pulled out in 1990 smile.gif

However since then I cant get enough of tanks!! Some of my friends think this is a pretty bizarre hobby, but I dont care.

And why do you love tanks?

Interesting question. To be quite honest I have no idea!

My family has always had connections to the airforce. My grandfather was a pilot in the RFC during World War 1, and my father and uncle were both in the RAF (I always intended to follow them, but life had other ideas in store for me). So my interest in military aviation is self explanitory.

I think it must just be the raw power that a tank projects.

hi

my parents told me a few moth ago, that i was faszinated by the "panzerenzklopedien"/tank-lexicon, at my uncle´s place, when i was about 2-3 years old. i was looking at the pictures all the time, and called them "manzer" instead of "panzer" becouse i was still so young that i couldnt say it correct. and so i wasnt able to read some text too becous i could not read back than smile.gif .

i think i got a natural :D interest, in the military and weapons.

so i surely like tanks too tongue.gif

but why? i cant say; this things allways interested me, so i cant say why or "what" made me fall in love :confused:

best greetings

Pandur

I love em because they show the effects of weather and use. They can take a beating and keep on going. I build plastic models of them including the Warhammer 40K versions and love painting and weathering them. My Dad flew in B-29's at the end of WWII (Clark Field, Phillipines) and builds airplane models. Can't get over my interest in Tanks.

• 2 months later...

I loved tanks since I was a very little boy and dad took me to the warfare museum and I saw a tank for the first time. Unfortunately it was a post communistic museum and only Russian stuff was on the view.

Now that museum has some wwII german stuff (some KingTiger parts, complete StugIII G, hull of a Panther D and hull of Jagdpanzer IV). It's a real shame, that after the war ended almost every german tank was melt in the steelworks. I wish I could see a real Tiger tank in my life.

For me a tank is symbol of power, destruction, and in some cases invulnerabity.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a Korean K1A1 on display at the Defence Services

Asia Exhibition in Kuala Lumpur in 1996, and it looked really awesome. The large video screen which they had there

certainly demonstrated its superb mobility - the tank was

pouncing about like a Grand Prix car.

There were PT-91M (T-72M1) tanks on display at later DSA's,

but these did not look as impressive. These were the one's

that Malaysia bought. The video of the tank's mobility made

it look pretty cumbersome.

I think too, that the K1A1 was the tank which should have been

chosen by Malaysia since its mobility was optimized for tropical and swampy grounds.

My grandfather was a British Army tank driver in the war, he started as a Universal Carrier driver, had a brief spell driving a Grant before becomming a Sherman driver. He loved that firefly. I used to listen to his stories all the time and got facinated by the day to day operations of tanks.

Through my school life I used to live not far from Bovington Tank museum and visited all the time.

Going through college right now collecting grades, started doing 3D stuff as a hobby (Here's a tiger I made) and once I finish college in a coupla years I'd like to join the Royal Armoured Corps and drive a Challenger 2. smile.gif Daskal I know what you mean by people thinking it's a weird hobby. My bedroom is full of tank models and unopened kits. My friends all know I'm obsessed with tanks and think it's kinda weird, so I don't get to talk them very often. It's ok though, I'm happy to keep my hobbies to myself smile.gif

EDIT= AK47, if you ever get the chance to visit England, go to the bovington tank museum between Pool and Weymouth. They recently finished restoring a captured Tiger tank to running condition. The only running Tiger tank left in the world. It's fantastic!!

[ October 08, 2005, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: killakanz ]

Seeing that "live" Tiger at the Tank Museum in Dorset (england) is amazing.....

My tank addiction has a lot to do with Sven Hassel books, Kampfgruppe on the old Commodore 64 and the mental exercise gained from trying to solve tactical and strategic "problems" from WW2 history and scenarios.

It's more of a historical war addiction, but I do have a severe tank habit smile.gif

There's a great piece in Erhard Raus' war memoirs (Panzer Operations) describing the shock and near panic experienced by units of his division during Barbarossa when they ran into their first KV-1's....that sums it all up for me really.

Still a Panther man though tongue.gif

Having various Corgi/Dinky WWII tank models as a kid first captured my interest. I particularly liked the more exotic camouflage patterns on the German tanks and the fact that they just looked plain meaner than the more rounded US and UK tanks. The names of German tanks are much better too, I mean, which would you choose, a Tiger or a Matilda tongue.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I exaclty know why I fell in love with tanks.

When I was 7-9 years old I heard a rumbling outside, I went to the window and discovered a columm of PZ68. It was magnificant, the vibration ,their order, their seize...

And yeah, tanks are simply awesome...

S7uka

A mile down the road, the tank colum tried to turn on the road and ripped open the entire intersection.