Hi, I have two questions about the function of Malta in the game:

1) If I surround it with the Italian fleet, bombard the port down to 0 and reduce the moral of the corps to nil, I still get the message "Malta hinders Axis supply in Mediterranean" all the time. Doesn´t sound right to me somehow, given their pitiful condition. Bug maybe?

2) Even if the morale of the corps is 0 for a long time, I seem not to be able to damage it - does that mean Malta cannot be invaded in SC2 or am I doing something wrong?

Spinello

I think the only way to take Malta is to destroy the unit with air an navy then move in your own troops. I have yet to play a game where I took Malta even when I tried, I learned it is not worth the effort and just ignore it, it goes away when Englnad bites the dust smile.gif

Hummm I managed to get it down to 3 or 4 once only to see him reinforce it to like 8 again on his turn. It is a pain for sure but the Germans thought so to smile.gif

[ May 19, 2006, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Rolend ]

I have taken Malta a few times!.

My method is not the only method, just another way to do it!.

I take my 2 German Bombers and use them to continuously pound Malta!.

Take whatever Fighter's you can spare to do the same as the Bomber's

Take your Italian, Vichy French & German ship's that you can spare to 1stly keep the Harbour at '0' so that re-supply is more difficult!...and once the Harbour is at '0' use your remainging ships to pound the Island!.

Eventually, with enough pressure...the Infantry Unit on Malta will cease to exist!...then put an Italian Corp's onto 'Amphibious Ships' and occupy the Island!.

Malta is waaaaay too strong in this game.
Perhaps, Fireball,

But,

In fact, it was NOT taken, and

It doesn't matter a whittled willow-stick

WHY not.

IF you want it,

Expend the treasure in Der DeutschBank

And... take it.

OR,

Use the Editor and replace the fortress

With a fortification.

Half as much staying power

For any type garrison

Thatta way. ;)

I take my 2 German Bombers and use them to continuously pound Malta!.

Take whatever Fighter's you can spare to do the same as the Bomber's

Take your Italian, Vichy French & German ship's that you can spare to 1stly keep the Harbour at '0' so that re-supply is more difficult!...and once the Harbour is at '0' use your remainging ships to pound the Island!.

Eventually, with enough pressure...the Infantry Unit on Malta will cease to exist!...then put an Italian Corp's onto 'Amphibious Ships' and occupy the Island!.

Way too much effort.

A big waste of resources, and for what, a few mmp's per turn. If you are doing all that, you already control the Med. Just forget about it, you don't need Malta.

Well like it wasn't a great effort IRL to neutralize Malta.

Just pound(rotate Italian Navy) the fortress entrenchment down, keep port/fortress supply at 0 precludes any effective reinforcement.

Make sure your 3 beginning German Luftflottes are HQ supported, the Italian AF can help also.

After about 6, maybe less, summer turns land your amphibs.

Guest Mike

Even in it's darkest days there were still bombers and destroyers and other units operating out of Malta against axis shipping. Even with a complete Luftflotte operating aginst it the Axis couldn't keep it quiet.

There's nothing particularly wrong wiht it other than you cannot actually amphibious assault it until you've destroyed the defenders alread!

It's too difficult to eliminate, especially if the port is at 0, and it has no way to resupply.

I have taken Gibralter, control Egypt, and have the place surrounded by the Italian fleet. Just how are they getting reinforcements in? Do they have a Star Trek transporter? Very annoying.

If we would be finaly allowed to invade / storm places controled by an enemy unit this wouldn't be such a difficult operation.

For this we would need the unit ability to retreat.

When there is no room to retreat a retreating unit would be forced to surrender.

Another nice game componet which Clash of Steel already had 13 years ago...

How about? smile.gif

If Airborne Unit had ability

To slug it out with a "reduced"

Defending unit,

On Malta or elsewhere,

May the best troops win!

Say, you have finally gotten that stubborn

Garrison Corps down to size "3"

And now you Air drop the Para Cats & Gliders

And they go at it.

Bing bang, ferocious melee for the whole gang.

Airborne wins - defending unit eliminated

And you have secured that one-tile island.

Taking approriate losses,

But of course.

If the Airborne does NOT succeed, say,

Defending Garrison Corps is

Reduced to size "1"

(... HATE that when it happens; I waste too

much time searching all over for that one

unit that can finish it off once and for all,

though, don't often find it :( )

And, as would be appropriate,

Airborne and glider troops are eliminated

Should they fail in this

Most ambitious insertion quest.

Something to think about, anyhow. :cool:

Maybe expand Malta by a square to allow for unit landings?

I'm no grognard so maybe not realistic but would change gameplay and allow for paratroops.

One thing I learned was I am not a fan of bomber in Malta. I think UK bomber can do a lot better overall from UK mainland. Just my opinion... I tried it after someone mentioned on the boards but I didnt care for that approach much. Just my $.02 though. *shrug* It did give nice visibility of the region though. That spotting ability of bombers is my biggest reason to like bombers! tongue.gif

--AOM smile.gif

I take it with all four fighters attacking it constantly, sooner or later the corps dies.

And that whole destroy-the-harbor, doesn't work with me somehow. I tried to use bombers (which I usually don't buy) to get the harbor down to zero, but since he gets it up to one every turn he repairs the troop to 8 anyway.