What's the coolest stuff of SC-2?

Okay, something tells me (hints in the postings), that this puppy is going to ship soon. So tell me, what is the coolest thing? I'm looking forward to the paratroops, which should allow great combination type surprise attacks. You remember 3R? Best thing was the paratroops, because you could do some awesome things. Is the Battle of the Atlantic good?

[ March 29, 2006, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: jon_j_rambo ]

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In no order of preference:

1- Being able to assign HQs to units manually

2- Diplomacy

3- Motorization technology

4- Industrial Technology, you can boost USA +50%mpps per turn smile.gif

5- Soft Build limits

6- Individual assignment of Tech to units.

7- Tiles instead of Hexes

8- The game is NOT about Air power, but manpower.

9- Cookie cutter is no longer an option.

10- Production Queue.

Oh and there is a number ONE feature.

EDITOR.

You'll NEVER see a one type of strategy EVER in SC2 (Bye bye cookie cutter).

Why? Because once someone finds a "flaw" it will be easily remedied via the editor.

I can't wait to see what the 39 campaign looks like 1 year from now, one version will surely standout in terms of play balance with staying true to historical accuracy.

They function well, but you are limited in numbers. Germany can have 2 at normal price and you can buy more with soft build limits on, but they will cost more.

I've used 2 effectively for Germany to help cutoff the middle 2 cities at the start of Barbarossa.

For D-Day you can do some suprising tactics and they are virtually impossible to defend against their landings since you would need a unit on EVERY tile.

Very interesting, Paras cutting off supply, respecting their actual real role, they were nevery very hardcore in WW2 aside from D-Day. Market Garden, Crete, any other operations were piecemeal. I'm glad to see that part "available" to us to use as we might see best. The Use of Paras should be extremely expensive, they were historically and a rare thing on the battlefield.

I like what I Hear, Mech Infantry was the trench of WW2 Armies, they were moving away from Horses and into the Modern era.

You couldn't DOW every nation on Earth, not during WW2 a DOW on the wrong nation would've caused Worldwide hatred, there would be Zero Friends and Many Many times more Partisans and difficulties defending conquored Lands.

It seems by what I've heard in the AARs the map allows for technologies like say Long Range Air not to destroy the game. Or say Anti Tank weapons not being so Uber. As investments and research are a bit more "broader". Focusing it seems will be more important and there is less MPPs to throw at total Bull**** as there was in SC. You can do too much junk in it. Seems this game shall narrow you down to sticking out a strategy pretty much or at least Fewer Strategies.

I hope to see this puppy go Gold soon and see all this firsthand. God Knows I'll love a Real chance for U-Boats to actually do something other than be a Royal Navy Suicide Squad.

More Options, More Room to manuever, More units-techs more Minor Country Capabilities. I think that this game will definitely sit on the Top of all Wargames for awhile. No other gaming company has anything comming. WAW was supposed to come out with IP last Summer. SO this is it. This is the Premier WW2 Strategy Game of the Decade next to SC1

how the game play in pbem, is it sequential turn based or simultaneous?

does the AI use paratroopers?

The AI does use paratroops to attack Norway! And elsewhere. :cool:

Game turns are alternating seasonal turns like in SC1. But editor options allow for simultaneous turns, and turns of specified number of days. Simultaneous in that both players would play the same date turn, not that the turn would be resolved simultaneously. Modders should enjoy this.

For neat new features:

- New attack-move sequence with 25% readiness bonus and AP penalty for deliberate attack, versus the standard move-attack blitz from SC1.

- Weather effects. This creates an interesting ebb-and-flow where both sides can regroup during bad weather.

- Unit customization. Unit tech upgrades are NOT automatic and can be made in any manner a player wants, at a cost.

- Better economic model, with USA and USSR having bigger growth rates for Industrial Technology. Plus Lend Lease convoys allow more flexibility for the Allied player, depending on how the random IT advances occur during a game.

- Lots more!!

The very coolest thing about SC-2? :cool:

You can have EXACTLY the solo game that you prefer.

Lots of folks will be playing competitive, and in leagues, and that's fine. Eventually there will be established a fantastic and ideally balanced default '39 campaign,

BUT,

I'd venture to guess MOST, by far (... including all those that like PBEM; solo play fills in the time between turns and allows you to practice and dream up new S & T) will play SOLO games.

So.

Why?

Is that the coolest feature?

1) You can use the Editor to change the map, adding Ports or Cities where you want them, creating separate Nations like Saudia Arabia or Venezuela (... both with valuable OIL).

2) Want to have a great Air War? You could boost the strategic attack value of the Bombers, and lower the cost of purchasing Anti-Air Flak.

3) You can concentrate on creating the ideal "Battle of the Atlantic," say, by playing around with the numbers for subs and ASW, even making the Atlantic larger.

4) You can substitute sprites. Artillery for Rockets, or Special Forces for Engineers.

5) You can make your own scripts for supply or convoys or units to arrive off the production queue, like several Corps in Egypt, say Aussies and Kiwis and Indian Ghurkas.

6) You want the Italians to be more aggressive in first - building up, then trying to dominate the Med? Well, you use the AI scripts to provide alternative realities. Different attack & defense plans, focus on certain units like armor, or direct the various Nations in what to research.

I am telling you, the possible choices and personal game preferences are very nearly infinite, and so, EVERY single player out there who wants to have THEIR OWN game,

CAN and WILL have that... perfect WW-2 GS game that they've ALWAYS wanted.

It's really NOT very hard to do, and ANYONE will quite easily grasp the mechanisms... but if not, no worries, since there will be VERY many who will post up various scripts and maps and sprites and the like.

I've never EVER... heard of such a thing

Being possible,

Given all them poor paltry games

We've been forced to put up with

Over all these years.

Have you? :cool:

Fast! Action-Cat, rambo jr:

How's the French campaign? Do you guys realize that the French campaign makes SC? The balance of Paris's falling, is quite good.

Just last night I played the '39 default campaign against the AI, on "intermediate" setting with no bonus for enemy experience.

It took me until first week of August to finally capture Paris. smile.gif

[... no, LOL, I'm not too awfully bad as a WW-2 GS game player after all these 40+ years... got a bit of a late start due to the fickle weather, MUD slowed them mechs & panzers]

Many Wehrmacht units beat up and weary.

UK Air Forces knocking down my port strength, so I'd have to wait to try out Sea Lion.

UK ASW CA's patrolling the convoy lanes,

Smacking the U-boots around.

What I'm saying is this:

The AI is good, now.

I haven't even tried it on the 2 or 3 HIGHER settings. :eek:

And, it's going to get even better and better and better when there are 100's of excellent players offering suggestions, even, making their own "supplemental AI scripts" and sharing their ideas all around the town. :cool:

Originally posted by Desert Dave:

The AI is good, now.

I haven't even tried it on the 2 or 3 HIGHER settings.

Great news on the AI from you and Pzndgr (Parachutes in Norway!).

2 or 3 higher settings? What do these do? Better AI or just more experience and plunder? or something more?

Henzau, I see nothing wrong with publishers using software like Securom to protect their intellectual property. In fact about 80% of major game publishers use this software. With Securom the publisher can allow the user to make copies of the software or not, and can tell it how often to check for a valid CD in the CD-ROM drive, if they want to use a CD validation check.

I looked at the thread you listed. In my experience, in most cases if you uninstall the game software or use the rollback feature the copy protection software is removed from your hard drive. Removing the DRM software without removing the game software is not going to work, unless you know what you are doing.

Originally posted by acrashb:

No-one has mentioned multiplayer, although it's listed on the SC page - how is it working out?

Multiplayer works fine and you can easily convert a Network, Hotseat or PBEM to either one. You just have to move one file to the appropriate folder and voila!