Legend's Give War Chance Tour is over! 41 Win 15 Lost 66 Yodl 1 Coward 3 Draw 1 MIA

Guest Mike

You should look out for "The Light Horsemen" - Aussie movie about the campaign through Palestine in WW1 culminating in their great charge at Bersheeba, bayonets drawn on horseback! smile.gif

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

@JJR

Sir

Can we have a Ladder PBEM battle?

By some bizarre algorithim I'm ranked higher than you and therefore the ladder site wont let me challenge you - anyway as a fellow Squad Leader veteran/fan I'd like a game.

I'm in Scotland, GB and usually can do a turn a day.

How about this as a classic OOB:

"Elements of the 389th Infantry Division set up secon after the Russian 308th units: Kampfgruppe Stahler - deploy in buildings U3, T4, R7, T7; Kampfgruppe Tienham - deploy in buildings Y8, CC7, AA4; Co A Assault Engineer Battalion 50 (Greup) deploy in buildings AA4, CC3, Y8"

Regards

Derek aka Topp1967

"Elements of the 389th Infantry Division set up secon after the Russian 308th units: Kampfgruppe Stahler - deploy in buildings U3, T4, R7, T7; Kampfgruppe Tienham - deploy in buildings Y8, CC7, AA4; Co A Assault Engineer Battalion 50 (Greup) deploy in buildings AA4, CC3, Y8"

I havent played Squad Leader in, ulp, 22 or so years now. Is this from the original package and the scenario of storming the Tractor Works, Sept-Oct, 1942? I read these words, and get goosebumps like a ghost from my past.

Yes Scook

Yes it is! enjoy those spinal shivers.. nostalgia.

My last game of SL was with my Fiance and we played The Hedghog Of Piepsk............. I won

but then I hadnt explained all the rules smile.gif

I dalied with ASL, got Beyond Valour - but couldn't find anyone to play against :(

Ah, Squad Leader, Cross of Iron, Crescendo of Doom, G.I. Anvil of Victory. Fly over from Scotland & we can play a game. I never got ASL, was too broke as a kid & didn't have the time to learn yet another system.

I liked Cross of Iron the best, Russians vs Germans really knew how to throw a party.

G.I. Anvil game, the Americans had some serious firepower with those 667 squads.

I think my game is still at my parents house. Let me fly to Pennsylvania & get it.

This is Center Court, World Cup, & the Masters Champ.

I'm good, I'm that good. I'm knocking people out like nobody's business...and I refuse to read rulebooks! It's all about the spirit fellows! Take your strategies, mods, Yodl worship & place it you know where.

Legend has put no effort into SC2, and headcracking people, worldwide!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOBOY! You betcha that's a classic set up: Scenario 2, The Tractor factory... I think I could redraw much of Board 1 blindfolded, though some of the players I've played against would do the same thing and get the LOSes right.

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

Ah, Squad Leader, Cross of Iron, Crescendo of Doom, G.I. Anvil of Victory. Fly over from Scotland & we can play a game. I never got ASL, was too broke as a kid & didn't have the time to learn yet another system.

I liked Cross of Iron the best, Russians vs Germans really knew how to throw a party.

Mmmm. Paw of the Tiger, Hube's Pocket, Sowchos 79.

G.I. Anvil game, the Americans had some serious firepower with those 667 squads.

I think my game is still at my parents house. Let me fly to Pennsylvania & get it.

Been a good while for me too, though I did take the step to ASL, and got back to it when Red Barricades came out.

Figured the Rattenkrieg was worth rereading that monstrousity of rules.

Check out www.vassalengine.org Some good souls got started porting ASL and SL to a Java-based TCP app. They didn't stop, so many of the classic wargames can now be played online.

You've got to love all the grognard debates over ASL's realism when the designers decided on 666, 447, and 467 by "feel."

[ July 07, 2006, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Cary ]

I remember the village board, #3 wasn't it? The forrest board #5, plenty of close combat in that. Elevation scenarios were interesting. Putting HMG 8-12 (Bunta) with Lt. Kendrik 9-2, that could hold off some Russians.

Always fun playing the Russians, in doubt, everybody charge but take a different path.

British mortars are deadly, score a hit, then goto the 8/60 no modifier chart & hope for KIA, or Morale 2 roll smile.gif

Squad Leader rules!

I bought the rules for ASL in 88, I could figure ought the infantry and terrain rules but see the artillery..... no f'kn chance! I still love my Tigers!.

I went back to playing 3rd Reich in the solitaire mode - I didnt have a PC till the 90's

Cheers to all who play SC 1 and 2, Keep on Rocking in the Free World (Oh and feck new Labour cos they're w*nkers, Bush is a paragon of virtue compared the right worshipful Tony Blair)

Squad Leader was okay. Never got that much into it, but I enjoyed it. How many times did we play the Guards Counterattack at Stalingrad Scenario?

ASL was one of the nails in the coffin of paper wargaming. Rules as thick as a phonebook. $50 modules that only gave you American paratroopers or German vehicles. As far as I concerned, it was an attempt to milk the gaming public by redoing Squad Leader with oversized counters.

However, I'm not into tactical board games. They tend to be too clunky. I didn't enjoy Avalanche's Panzergrenadier series, either.

Diced Tomato

Originally posted by dicedtomato:

ASL was one of the nails in the coffin of paper wargaming. Rules as thick as a phonebook. $50 modules that only gave you American paratroopers or German vehicles. As far as I concerned, it was an attempt to milk the gaming public by redoing Squad Leader with oversized counters.

Good question.... ASL was certainly frustrating, and I can understand why you'd react against it. But it has kept its following: how many other 20-year old games are still alive and kicking?

Given the wholesale assault of new media on paper anything, it's hard to think ASL could have done that much better, whether or not individuals viewed it with disgust.

It's easy to see where ASL's flaws came from: frankly that "telephone book" made a lot more sense than the frankenstein's monster that SL had become by COD/GI. At least the ASLRB was, in a sense, alphabetized!

.. sorry, Rambo, the thread seems to be being hijacked. (Maybe we'll all be happier if we just stick with Topp's post on Bush and Blair). :eek:

9-2 and 3MMG's Amen
That goes double in ASL when the dice are hot and rate keeps coming! (That is until the other side's sniper wakes up)....

.. OBA? true enough... one of the true disasters of ASL -- you know you've got a problem when the flow-chart hits a page in length.

I haven't gotten to play Lock n'Load, but I am excited about the upcoming GMT system -- Squad Leader scale maps with Up Front's card system imported.

The thing SL/ASL never captured, I think, was the way time slows down and speeds up in combat. Breaking the IGOUGO lockstep is crucial in a tactical game.

[ July 08, 2006, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Cary ]

Expense is of course the problem with paper games -- designing a rules system is essentially a programming task, but then you have to futz around not only designing the components but also finding suppliers, collating, and all the rest.

Interestingly, we're at the point now where there are almost as many serious computer wargaming shops producing games as paper wargaming shops; I don't really see this balance changing.