What happened to pre-game view, online spectators, replays and timer option?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Dragonheart:

Seems you found some new friends zapp. ROFL

But i wonder where all these guys come from posting here....i never heart about them.

Did i really miss so many ppl when starting to play last september?

They are nay-sayers that creep out of their holes whenever they get a chance to sabotage.

[ April 19, 2004, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

I'm not sure how keen I'd personally be in a 'voyeur' option, but that's mainly due to my own free-time/location issue. But a 're-play' option sounds very interesting, not just to watch my own finnished game, but to peruse other's games online. Why read an AAR when you can replay the war itself (hopefully with a FF option to skip the boring parts)! A great way for inexperienced players like myself to learn new tricks, IMHO. What might also be nice is an 'in-game' replay, to re-hash the war up to the current play point. That might be very usefull especially to PBEM players who's memory of previous parts of the war may get foggy.

Similar to this, it would be nice to easily and repeatedly play the previous turn's action. One thing that really irritated me about SC1 was that there was no easy way (or was I missing something?) to pause or rewind the opponent's turn. If you exited and re-loaded to watch again, it made you look like a cheater. But if you had a cruddy short term memory (like mine - too much beer in college!), you missed out on valuable intelligence!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Making a timer is ridiculously easy if you are a programmer. I make a timer in Java in about 10-60 minutes.

Replay is also easy but takes more time (a few hours). Simply save all your moves (like they do in Chess 1.E2-E4 E7-E5 2.D2-D4 E5-D4 i.e the Scandinavian Gambit) to a file and make a "load replay" button that replays the game.

[ August 03, 2004, 03:51 AM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

Explaining the quickness of replays and online spectators again:

Imagine watching live or recorded games like a media player "play", "stop", "next", "prev", "forward", "fast-forward", "rewind", "fast-rewind", "start-over" and "live". A chapter corresponds to a turn. Neat, simple and fast.

When i browse for games using SC2 I could then see the games currently going on. For example:

Axis: Rambo

Allies: Avatar

Date 27 December 1943

Time system: 10+3 minutes

Axis time left: 12 minutes

Allies time left: 15 minutes

Axis Turn

and I double-click and am immediately taken to their current turn. I then simply push the "start-over" button and game starts displaying turn one (september 1939) instead. After watching through fall of Paris I wanna return to the current situation again and press the "live" button returning to the current turn. It is now January 1944 so I have missed the latest turn. I then simply push "prev" button once and game jump back one turn and starts displaying all the December 1943 moves and thereafter continuing to January 1944.

[ August 04, 2004, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

Rambo stop talkin crap;

As Im at least semi-competitive but a ww2 history nut your statement is unacceptable. We want it to be both historically correct and competitive. We should not need to chose one over the other.

Drop this "we don't care for realism" statements.

Well, I think a replay option would be cool :cool:

Still more important for me are additional confidence building measures as pregame view of setting for both sides etc. anything that makes cheating more difficult.

Even more important for me (having played Europa universalis redface.gif )

Safty measures to recover the game if more than two players play. Being able that anohter player takes over a drop out player or the AI gets in, stable recovery files, no time outs etc.

Voice chat would be nice smile.gif , Or a nice clean chat "window", "sreen", or part of the screen would be nice

Additional request would be an small update on the report screen tongue.gif A simple "How much the income the allies receive and how much the axis"

Originally posted by Sombra:

Well, I think a replay option would be cool :cool:

Still more important for me are additional confidence building measures as pregame view of setting for both sides etc. anything that makes cheating more difficult.

Even more important for me (having played Europa universalis redface.gif )

Safty measures to recover the game if more than two players play. Being able that anohter player takes over a drop out player or the AI gets in, stable recovery files, no time outs etc.

Voice chat would be nice smile.gif , Or a nice clean chat "window", "sreen", or part of the screen would be nice

Additional request would be an small update on the report screen tongue.gif A simple "How much the income the allies receive and how much the axis"

Let Hubert fix the most urgent needed changes first... i.e ... Finnish skiis and Pattons shoesize. :D

(This joke was brought to you by Zapp Leno Productions)