I am finding Malta to be impossible to take.

Is there some trick to taking it?

I have tried bombing the port to zero then bombing the unit. I thought closing the port would not allow Malta to add troops but each time I get them to about 4 and they grow back to 8 while the port is at zero.

It does not allow airborne or amph assault.

Please let me know how this island can be taken.

Jim

targul!,... go to the very top of this page and click 'search' ,...put in... Malta ...then search it!. There are many explanations given for how to take Malta!.

In short, lot's of assembled airpower will be needed as well as Naval assets to take out Malta!. Use your Battleships & Cruisers to bring down the Port-Strength to '0',...as this will help reduce effective reconstitution of the Garrison on the Island.

No Amphibious or Airborne assaults are possible here!,...when the Garrison is finally neutralized, send an Amphibious force over to Malta to 'Occupy' it!.

@Targul -> Malta ca be taken but you're looking at a long campaign unless you amass a lot of assets against it:

1. You need to keep the fortress at 0 AND the port at 0 all the time. In SC2, ports act as a supply source as well so bombing Malta fortress is not enough to kill the supply. For this use your italian ships and bombers/rockets if you got them. The ships alone should do the trick anyway.

2. Airfleets start bombing the garrison and eventually due to reduced garrison strength (if you destroyed the fortress and port), very low morale due to ships/air attacks, the defender will be killed.

I don't think I've ever deliberately taken Malta, so not much to offer. Some pros/cons purely from the Italian side though:

Pros:

* No Spotting of your fleet/garrisons (very important now bombers are fixed)

* Slight MMP benefit in North Africa (Malta effect)

* After inital losses, good training for your fleet

Cons:

* Cost of rebuilding fleet slows down building engineer/air

* Your fleet is exposed to UK counter unless UK fleet already dead

Taking Malta isn't worth the price in my opinion. The Fortress makes it costly for air to kill it and the garrison there is sufficient to cause a bit of havoc should someone wish to go on the offensive somewhere and replace it with a fighter or bomber. Think over the course of the game the cost Malta Effect, it is genuinely annoying to any Axis Player but you really can put your forces to better use elsewhere usually

like Finland!

Depends what is going on in the game, your opponent, and your personal desire.

I do not operand the German Luftwaffe down to Sicily, those Nazis can fly, save the dough. It is quite enjoyable to pop 5 rockets (use bug to get the 5th), for 1/2 year before Barby. Get those Rocket Brigades trained, while praying for higher tech for them. Win or Lose, it's a fun way to play.

Hmm, what you mean is not a bug, but how soft limits work. In this case it is most likely resulting from forgetfulness of the host who used the wrong setting :D - soft build limits means you have no build limit and can build more units, so standard is usually to use hard limits.

With hard limits activated you can only buy 4 german rockets, no matter if they are in the pipeline or not smile.gif .

The only country that can pass the limit in Rockets is USSR. If you purchase ALL rockets prior to Siberian transfer you will have 2 extra rockets.

The same goes for all other units that arrive in Siberian transfer, so you CAN get two "extra" tanks.

In the purchase screen it would show -2 for Tanks, which means the first two that get killed will NOT be available for re-purchasing.

Hmm I believe there was a bug like that mentioned some time ago.

And a solution would be hard to code if I remember correctly.

But I don't recall if it was with Units placed due to scripted events, or due to units that were already in the build order.

I just tried to test it with the build order, but my version doesn't have rockets in the Siberian event tongue.gif

Maybe JJR can shed some light on it smile.gif

Edit: Blashy beat me to it ;)

"I'm so confused" --- Vinny Barbarino from the classic, Welcome Back Cotter.

Bottom line, I have Soft Builds -> OFF, therefore I spoke (wrote) wrong.

But, there is a defect with Soft Builds -> ON

My brain is fried from work & arguing with some dude about the KJV vs. NIV. Time for Legend to go home & eat dinner.

You guys are talking about rockets shooting across to malta from sicily.I think that should be fixed.Those rockets couldnt shoot anywhere near that far(over 100 miles).Max range is about 11 to 15 miles.Like i said before upgrades for rockets should really only have any effect on destructive power not range.Your now talking the range of a v2.

Stalin's Organist, How do you explain the russian rockets shooting that far?(Your name says it all).They didnt have anything that could shoot that far.The v2 could never be fired in heavy enough concentration or accuracy to even have a hope of mimicing what these rockets are supposed to do.The german rockets are refering to the wurfrahmen 40 and the nebelwerfer(max. range about 8,000 to 10,000 meters),not over 100 miles.Rockets main use was in support troops.

There's nothing to stop the Russians upgrading to V2 or better rockets.

Of course, there's the issue as to whether the USSR should have rockets at all. It's one of SC2's logic faults that rockets behave like normal artilley but with rocket ranges. Realistically, the unit itself should be removed from the standard game line up.

Just looked at the range issue again and, if we ignore their destructive power for the moment, rocket ranges aren't as far off as I used to think.

1 tile = 90km

V2 range = 200 miles = 322 km

Assume that minimum range between tiles is 0, so a unit can always hit the adjacent tile even if it's range is only 1 km.

322/90 = 3.6

Therefore, V2 range should be up to 5 tiles.

Destructive power is out of whack. Rocket tech should allow unit combat power/morale effect upgrades and/or city upgrades, where the upgrade triggers a "Malta effect" on nearby enemy cities. A bit too involved though and removes some of the fun for rambo and others smile.gif .

[ June 14, 2007, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: Bromley ]

Yeah, but that's the point. None of the V weapons were designed to damage units, so it really wouldn't matter if they were one tile away or five.

None of the battlefield rockets had a range that would exceed one tile (hell, they reach <10% into a tile), so decreasing effectiveness with range doesn't apply here either.

They're a fantasy unit, like so many were in RTW smile.gif . Not that I hate them as I did the war dogs . . . :D