Survey: How much should they charge for SC2?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Exel:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kelly's Heroes:

With the latest patch (v1.06) and with CORE, I may just re-install the game again, and give it a whirl.

The CORE Mod now has 1600 NEW events which should spice up HoI quite a bit.

I would recommend the Starfire mod instead. It puts the emphasis on historical accuracy and reworks the combat system in a truly outstanding way! :eek: CORE is a big ahistorical mess...

[/offtopic] </font>

Originally posted by Kelly's Heroes:

What is the Starfire Mod and where can I find it?

Why is CORE a mess in your opinion?

Starfire can be found here: http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138386

CORE is a mess, in my opinion, because it has gotten out of control. There's no one really in charge and people just do whatever they like for the mod, and the result is very ahistorical. Many of the events have absolutely no sense being in a game with the scale of HoI ("German movie star flees to America, blaablaa effects"), many of them give boost or ahistorical significance to some country (like Poland, thanks to many Polish modders who just refuse to believe that Poland was easily overrun). Furthermore, the tech tree is unbalanced piece of s***. At some point - I'm not sure if they've changed it since then - the late tech tree even featured things way too futuristic for a WW2 game, like for example Mig-21 and the kind. Still, many like CORE above all else, but for a history and realism buff like me its mere existence in an annoyance.

How did this come to this? We're waay off-topic. tongue.gif

[ April 16, 2004, 06:47 AM: Message edited by: Exel ]

Exel:

Off-topic?

Well, I guess we're still talking about wargames - heh

I see that Stafire is still in development - it looks like it still has a ways to go.

I agree that some events in CORE seem misplaced. Still, with 1,600 events, it still seems like the mod to choose.

The only thing it needs is for someone to go through the events and trim out some of the extraneous ones.

Cheers!

But CORE doesn't feature the new combat system which is totally superior to the default one. And Starfire was pretty finished already in its first release, by all means more finished and carefully thought creation than CORE ever has been.

And the subject of this thread is how much SC2 should cost, so yeah, this talk about HoI's mods is totally off-topic. tongue.gif

For a one man company like HC, going retail would be like giving the game away to the stores for free.

The return on income is just not there.

Moon thouroughly explained it once how selling 100 via online or mail order is worth selling 1000+ through a retailer. And for this game I agree. It is not a hyped game, by us it sure is but through general gaming sites it is barely a blip on their radar, I read those sites every day, I've yet to hear of SC or SC2 once.

Oh as for Canada Costums, anything under 50$ is duty free, I paid none when I bought SC or many other products on eBay.

Originally posted by Blashy:

For a one man company like HC, going retail would be like giving the game away to the stores for free.

The return on income is just not there.

Moon thouroughly explained it once how selling 100 via online or mail order is worth selling 1000+ through a retailer. And for this game I agree. It is not a hyped game, by us it sure is but through general gaming sites it is barely a blip on their radar, I read those sites every day, I've yet to hear of SC or SC2 once.

Oh as for Canada Costums, anything under 50$ is duty free, I paid none when I bought SC or many other products on eBay.

As I have mentioned, Hubert made SC2 to reach a wider audience. How do you do that?

Exposure. . .

While per game returns at retail won't be as high, the sheer volume of sales will help off-set that. This game has potential for wide appeal.

But more importantly, at some retail locations you are making it easy for the consumer to buy it. The vast majority of people still will NOT buy products online.

Many products are sold via impulse buying.

But more importantly: When someone buys SC2 via retail, they are then made aware of OTHER PRODUCTS Battlefront makes. So that consumer may then buy other computer wargames published by Battlefront.

For example: I bought SC at retail. With the money I saved (not buying online), I then bought Combat Mission. I was made aware of this forum, and well. . . here I am. . . :D

So: TWO games bought at retail vs NO games bought online. I then spread word about the games via word of mouth.

What does this tell you??

:rolleyes:

I would not recommend this approach for any other type of wargame, except for SC2 and perhaps for Matrix's WaW.

The real paradox is this: with SC2 remaining an online only game, means it is being targeted to wargmers; the same guys who are criticizing it for looking too mainstream. Yet, looking mainstream is what was intended, so it could reach a wider audience. But being available only online, means. . .

:rolleyes:

It's good to know about customs. However, the shipping and exchange rate will still double the price of the game for us Canucks. We need the game to be available via a local distributor such as Military Hobbies.

This is not rocket science. . .

Cheers!

I've seen a handfull critize the game (2-3) and the look of it.

It won't double it. When I bought it online, it came out to a total of 12$ CDN more from buying it in the US. A retailer would charge me for the exchange rate (charging higher to make a profit), charge me for the shipping he paid (charging higher to make a profit) and then charge me for the cost of his rental fees, employee salaries. I've bought online 30+ items so far and I've saved over 30% or more everytime.

Buying online is the best time that's happen in retail for the consumer, at least through my experiences.

And you have to understand, if they are not going straight to retail, they have their numbers crunched and know it won't work for them right away.

#1 would be all of the people here, 50+% might buy it from the store, making FurySoft loose a lot of money that would usually go straight to their pockets since these people are willing to purchase direct. And that is the main reason I beleive they do not go retail from the get go. I know it would be my reason. Sell a product for 30$ online, make a 20$ profit, sell retail make a 2$ profit, exaust all your online buyers and then go for the retail grabbers and convert them to online buyers for the next version, lol

Originally posted by Blashy:

I've seen a handfull critize the game (2-3) and the look of it.]
More than that have criticized it. And those are the vocal ones. Plenty of lurkers feel the same way.

Personally, I like the look - it has popular appeal.

It won't double it. When I bought it online, it came out to a total of 12$ CDN more from buying it in the US. A retailer would charge me for the exchange rate (charging higher to make a profit), charge me for the shipping he paid (charging higher to make a profit) and then charge me for the cost of his rental fees, employee salaries. I've bought online 30+ items so far and I've saved over 30% or more everytime.
Sorry. Only $12??

What calculator are you using?

Heheh. . .

Shipping to Canada alone is $8.00 US. That works out to be $12.00 Canadian. And we still haven't figured in the exchange rate for the game (usually 45% more).

It is mucho Dinaro, my friend. . .

Buying online is the best time that's happen in retail for the consumer, at least through my experiences.
Maybe from your experience. But consumer studies have repeatedly shown that THE VAST NUMBER OF CONSUMERS DO NOT BUY ONLINE.

And you have to understand, if they are not going straight to retail, they have their numbers crunched and know it won't work for them right away.
The best time is one month before Christmas. Those who buy on online would probably do so anyway.

Whereas the sales at retail is PROFIT THEY WOULD NOT HAVE GOTTEN OTHERWISE.

This does not include the extra word of mouth, and other games these customers might buy from Battlefront.

Retail offers spin-off effects. . .

#1 would be all of the people here, 50+% might buy it from the store, making FurySoft loose a lot of money that would usually go straight to their pockets since these people are willing to purchase direct. And that is the main reason I beleive they do not go retail from the get go. I know it would be my reason. Sell a product for 30$ online, make a 20$ profit, sell retail make a 2$ profit, exaust all your online buyers and then go for the retail grabbers and convert them to online buyers for the next version, lol
This sounds fine.

However,

SC2 is being made readily available for European customers at the end of this year. No online sales for them. . .

People on this forum already know about the game.

At retail, you are reaching gamers that you would

not otherwise reach. So that $2.00 is a profit because those buyers would not have bought the game online. Like me.

Why not make the game available in Canada via Military Hobbies? It uses mail order. Make it convenient for the customer. I realize this is a radical idea, but it might just work :rolleyes:

And round and round we go. . .

[ April 16, 2004, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Kelly's Heroes ]

Originally posted by Kelly's Heroes:

Heheh. . .

I won't be sitting around waiting for the retail version. :D

I not only have lots of great games to play, but there are many wargames that are going to be released this year by Matrix, that will appear at retail or through their distributors, and which I will be buying. tongue.gif

I hate to burst your bubble but Matrix announced a while back that they are going to online sales only. No more retail stores for them.

Originally posted by Elmo:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kelly's Heroes:

Heheh. . .

I won't be sitting around waiting for the retail version. :D

I not only have lots of great games to play, but there are many wargames that are going to be released this year by Matrix, that will appear at retail or through their distributors, and which I will be buying. tongue.gif

I hate to burst your bubble but Matrix announced a while back that they are going to online sales only. No more retail stores for them. </font>

You're not bursting my bubble - heheh.

I don't give a rat's a$$ where you buy your games. My impression was that Matrix was only selling online now. If that is incorrect, fine, but since I buy online from them and Battlefront it's all the same to me.

They remind me a lot of the last six or seven occupants of the White House and their various assistants -- except they've got much more honest and intelligent expressions than any of our esteemed leaders, but then going to places like Yale and also becoming a Rhodes Scholar like Billy would naturally disolve a lot of I. Q. points.

Oooops, time for me to be dragged off by the F. B. I., for this Thread to be locked, and for you to seek professional help!

-- A ridiculous statement if ever there was one, whenever someone says that to me -- and they say it so often, which is really baffling -- I always ask I need a plumber? tongue.gif

freud001.gifplumber.gif

I'll bet if anyone had asked old Sigmund if, in that photo above left, he'd been holding a phalic sybold he'd have gotten all worked up. "Dumkopf, I was smoking a cigar--if it had been a phalic symbol it would have been much, much larger, a stogie at the very least!"

Anyway, you're a man who obviously loves kids and this neighborhood is infested with them. But very few rodents as there are many cats running about. My wife and I love it, we go for walks through the park and wade through little kids and dogs, both species trying to bite us at the same time.

Oh yeah, I think they should charge, uh, $40 dollars -- do I hear $35? -- $35, excellent.

Why the hell is that guy saying he'd pay $100 -- Hubert, is that you under a different name or what? :D

Well, it being 2:20 a.m. and all I guess going to sleep is a good game plan.

I bid you and all your bizarre kids a pleasant night. ;)

$37.24-- yeah, that would be okay by me. :cool:

[ April 17, 2004, 03:24 AM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

You know that a topic has been discussed to death when pictures of babies are being posted smile.gif I will close this thread now, but am going to abuse my position as admin to get the last word in smile.gif

Kelly's Heroes, you're very vocal about something you don't seem to understand very well, but that's ok. I just wish you were listening a bit better to others who are trying to explain why you're wrong.

BTW, nobody said that SC2 will be available in European retail right away. Probably not.

Martin