• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too would like that configuration, ala TOAW.

I might add that the counters should be a little smaller as to not obscure the tile terrain.

Some of the isometric infantry units are difficult to see in the urban terrain tiles. I guess you could consider them camouflaged or maybe I need to get glasses.

I know we have that military/NATO option, but the standup counters remind me of stratego playing pieces. I guess the modders will take care of this.

Well since this turned into a wishlist, I too would have liked the 2D display....at the very least the graphics could have been modeled along the lines of TalonSoft's West/East Front series where you could toggle between the two views...

If Hubert or Bill would say: "OK, we could do a toggle display, but the game will be further delayed", I would not mind the wait as it would be well worth it....

Originally posted by J P Wagner:

Well since this turned into a wishlist, I too would have liked the 2D display....at the very least the graphics could have been modeled along the lines of TalonSoft's West/East Front series where you could toggle between the two views...

If Hubert or Bill would say: "OK, we could do a toggle display, but the game will be further delayed", I would not mind the wait as it would be well worth it....

Me neither. Top down view would be my primary choice.

How many people actually ever played TOAW in 3D mode? I would suggest ZERO!

Long term playability with fussy graphics wears thin very quickly.

Wargames, particularly; link historically with the cartographic dynamics of the 'thin red line' and the dates and arrows of strategic thrusts into enemy territory. 3D views are for minature enthusiasts that like to create surface elevations and get down to eye level and move their pieces around on the green felt. (Combat Mission is brilliant for this). Ideally SC2 should not try to have it both ways, either it graphically models minature dynamics, (ie. multiple viewing angles), or it sticks to building on a long tradition, (SC1 included) of excellence in cartographic wargames.

If all we get is yet another variation of isometric view, where is the point of difference from the myriad of iso-games out there?

Originally posted by J P Wagner:

If Hubert would say: "OK, we could do a toggle display, but the game will be further delayed", I would not mind the wait as it would be well worth it....

Hubert designed SC2 with the isometric map and that's not likely to change. The editable bitmaps for units and resources are another story. I spent a little time taking some of the SC1 units and copying them into the SC2 bitmap file for the Nato-style military counters. (Make a backup copy first.) You CAN toggle between the 3-D and military counters in the game. You CAN also toggle the unit bases on/off. So here's a screenshot of what could be a "SC Classic" mod with 2-D top down unit display:

34572%3B8723232%7Ffp336%3Enu%3D325%3B%3E275%3E34%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D323337%3C74%3A%3B48nu0mrj

These images look a bit washed out because I had to rescale the SC1 images to be bigger. But the idea is anyone adept at using MS Paint could continue with this and redo all the unit images. You'd have to do some extra work to create new images for Paratroops, Engineers, and Amphibious Transports, but I already know there are modders out there who could do this.

Is it worth it to do this? Maybe, but I'm not going to bother. Somebody else can if they want to, as a mod. I've gotten used to the new 3-D sprites in SC2, and I suspect most other players will also. Why go back?? I suppose if the screenshot above gets you excited, then go for it.

AGENT SMITH ... I heartely agree with you that TOAW was disgusting to play in 3D-Mode...and for that reason i did not use it.

BUT!!!... i also found the PANZER GENERAL series not to be a problem using the ISOMETRIC mode instead and did not miss not having, the TOP DOWN viewing mode!.

about the release date: just don't give any if it is impossible to maintain... this Sc2 soap is going on since 2 years or so. Dont get me wrong, i respect little developers, it must be hard to work with a limited group on a title like Sc2. But soon it will be 2006 and a game that should have come out in 2004 , with the graphics of 2004 (and in the case of SC2 graphics of 1996) will be hard to sell. I for my part will buy it, i like SC1 and most probable will like SC2 a lot, but i fear for the total sells.. the real strength of sc however lays in the strong community, we should all buy 5 copies each to help HC develop SC3... in 2015 :D

Hey guys, while I can understand some of the trepidation to embrace the selected view (and the fact that no matter what I say it still will not be for everyone ;) ), I suspect, as Bill has mentioned that it will quickly pass once you actually start playing the much improved game.

It should also be mentioned that in using this new graphics engine it has allowed us to incorporate some pretty neat stuff like this sandstorm effect for the North Africa campaign.

sandstorms_NA.jpg

Again this might not be for everyone but it does give us some leeway in trying to re-create that deeper and more immersive environment with respect to weather and subsequent in game weather effects

There is nothing wrong with good and fun graphics in war games. Actually I love good graphics. I've never understood why people who play wargames are often so afraid of good graphics and sound. Then again the idea of playing a board game on my computer does not appeal to me nearly as much as playing a computer game on my computer.

If anything I want the best sound, graphics and gameplay I can get. Because if the graphics are too poor they totally kill the immersion for me and I know many, many others.

No one is saying sacrifice gameplay for them, just have them as well.

Astrocat, if there was an option of 2D or 3D *everyone* would be happy.

I understand it isn't do-able but it would have been nice to have both.

BTW, I suspect most of us aren't "afraid" of good graphics... ;)

PS...Once again, Hubert, I would like to say I admire your dedication to your project.

Originally posted by pzgndr:

These images look a bit washed out because I had to rescale the SC1 images to be bigger. But the idea is anyone adept at using MS Paint could continue with this and redo all the unit images. You'd have to do some extra work to create new images for Paratroops, Engineers, and Amphibious Transports, but I already know there are modders out there who could do this.

What dimensions/pixels per inch are the graphic files for units in the game? Can some of the newer higher resolution style boardgame counters now be done in SC2 by modders? Counters like these for example http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/articles.php?cat=56 That would be cool! :D