Artillery, like in Panzer General would be awesome.

I meant the strategy by having artillery. Like you place the artillery behind your units. Then when you attack the unit infront of artillery piece, the ground forces would get "support fire" from the artillery..

This enhances the strategy ALOT. Anyone who have played Panzer General should know what I mean.

I don't want a separate counter for artillery, but I would like a new way to simulate artillery assets.

HQs should be able to direct artillery fire assets in some fashion.

Just assuming they are "incorporated" into the ground units is not good enough.

All the ground units are identical.

Artillery should be deployable as a resource in some fashion.

As originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1:

I don't want a separate counter for artillery, but I would like a new way to simulate artillery assets.

And that is what you have! smile.gif

Infantry Weapons takes the place of anti-tank as the primary defining factor of Corps and Armies.

IOW, achievements in this research field will indicate what particular level your infantry is at.

A/T advances are "hidden" and gained and applied in the same way that long-range air is for Air Fleets.

Thus, you could have the VERY interesting possibility of a Panzer unit stumbling into a small group of Russian Corps, all of whom have some level of anti-tank advances, oh 1 or 2 or 3, with each being different... but you wouldn't know that until they suddenly blew your tracks off! :eek:

A kind of realistic, and very exciting... FoW.

So.

This category could be posited to include: Artillery and mortars, HMGs and all sorts of explosive devices, as might be used by ground pounders or... the combat engineers, such as the extremely nasty Flammenpanzerwagen!.

At this scale you probably don't need an artillery unit taking up a whole square, true?

If you did that for all the possible units, there would hardly be any room to maneuver. ;)

Maybe have arty be researchable, but not have it as a separate unit.

Instead, it could be used as an attachment to an army or corps unit. You would have to pay to upgrade that unit with the arty.

When the upgrade is done, a small "+" could be added to the counter, signifying it has arty support.

The same could be done for heavy armour. All armour could be medium tanks, but you could add heavy armour units to supplement the medium tanks.

Cheers!

• 2 years later...

Besides how we handle artillery exactly in the game, one fact remains.

A special rocket icon is the worst thing in SC2. What impact did rockets (and i am talking about "strategic" rockets) as the V1 and V2 had in WW2, let me think.....none! So everybody that argues the way that artillery is inculded into the Corps/Army Icons, but rockets deserve a special icon taking up a whole HEX !!!!, well, everybody who argues that way should, in my opinion, find a better argument. ;)

Fireball

Rockets are in because:

- They have been / area strategic weapon (alas not a terrible effective one still a nice pet project)

- The range of rockets is vastly superior then artillery.

Look at the scale of a sqare: 50 km ? Please show me mass deployment of artillerie in WW2 being able to shoot 100 km

Well,

The good news is that you DO have an extra slot,

Which can be used to insert ANY sort

Of combat unit you might like

BETTER than V-1/2 type rockets.

IMO, artillery can work - why ever not?

You use grand imagination and suppose

That the arty unit is IN FACT closer

To the front lines,

And is merely "re-presented" at a distance

To reflect defensive (re)positioning

Which is very flexible,

Given the time scale... of weeks.

I can foresee ALL sorts of new!

Weapons introduced in mods,

Using that available slot.

All the attributes can be changed around,

Thanks to the unprecedented Editor provided! :cool:

1) Recon units, as armored cars perhaps?

2) Commando types, SS, or US Rangers?

3) TAC or Naval bombers?

4) Destroyers or CL's for ASW instead of CA's?

5) Even, "ground-to-ground" rockets, as nebelwehrfer or Russian "truck-launched?"

6) Low-rated Garrison/Militia unit?

This list would ONLY be a beginning, given the "SC design-group imagination," which would approach near... unlimited possibility?

Surely somebody out there is accomplished artist who can "paint" a new sprite or 2, or 9, for common use? smile.gif

@ Sombra.

"- They have been / area strategic weapon"

In which army in WW2? And please mention something else than the "incredible" strategic damage that was caused by that V1/V2. ;)

"(alas not a terrible effective one still a nice pet project)"

Thats right, nothing more than a pet project.

"- The range of rockets is vastly superior then artillery. "

Right, but why replace a weapon (rockets) that was never used, by a weapon that is included in the Army Scale? Means, no rockets, no artillery, no artillery, no rockets.

So I came to the conclusion that we have a free unit slot ;), which should be filled by something better than that. (I know i know, the Editor...DIY. But i am not that talented in painting)

Fire