Question: What Processor is Best AMD,INTEL

Sounds like a question for the tech support forum, sort of..

Very much a matter of personal preference and a comparison of price vs. performance. Both will play CM:BB very well in any case.

Just don't get a ATI graphics card until they have begun to support the fog model in CM.

M.

Hi,

Yup, about three months ago I read every computer magazine there is going in the UK and all agreed that, for the game player, the AMD XP chips are number one. The fact that they are cheaper is just a bonus.

Strangely, I ended up with a P4 because I wanted to buy a Dell. But I am just a bit odd. If Dell had offered an AMD chip I would have gone for it.

All the best,

Kip.

AMD, hands down. Since the i820/Rambus fiasco, Intel has still not released a processor that can truly justify the cost. Do not be fooled by Intel marketing and the current gigahertz ratings. Even if an AMD processor has fewer gigahertz than a particular Intel processor oftentimes the so called "slower" AMD will run just as fast and even faster than the higher gigahertz-rated Intel chip. You will also save a lot more money. I used to get only Intel chips but I've found that since AMD released their Athlon series of chips, AMD pretty much is the best buy for better performance and better price. I have no problems with compatability with any games or programs. At this point, AMD has enough market share that game developers need to make sure their games work on AMD chips and chipsets just as well as on Intel ones.

Check out the reviews at various hardware sites for the chip model you want. They will also give you a better idea how much faster the "slower" AMD chips can actually outpeform the much higher-rated gigahertz Intel chips.

As for mobos, personally I have an Asus A7M266. I haven't had any probelms whatsoever and I am quite happy with it. There are probably better mobos out by now but the A7M266 seems pretty solid.

[ April 01, 2002, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: Commissar ]

AMD all the way!!

Best chip, best price.

I went AMD long ago because of price and have no complaints. I still have my old 233 in the kid's room and am currently running the discontinued Slot A 700 on an EPOX mobo.

Just supply ample power (300Watts min) and adequate cooling and you should have no worries.

Looking forward to upgrading soon to an XP 1.7 or whatever is the bestest cheapest chip at that as yet undetermined time.

Originally posted by Herr Kruger:

Question : What is the whole Pentium and Celeron difference? If a Celeron has a slightly higher MHZ rating than a Pentium, is it truly faster?

celys have massivly slashed l2 cache, and used to(dont know about now) have a slower FSB. they suck, plain and simple.

The Celeron is the budget alternative in Intels lineup. It basically a stripped PIII and is thus slower than both PIII's and P4's of similar or even inferior clock frequencies. This is especially the case id it is one of the older Celerons operating at 66 MHz bus speed.

Generally speaking you are on the wrong track if you are looking at a Celeron. If you have a really thin wallet you should get a AMD Druon instead. Clock for clock it beats the Celeron, just as the Athlon does the P4.

--

M.

AMD is much better for gaming. Price-performance wise it blows the nuts off intel at the moment

On the business side, PIII is still the way to go. Try maintianing 85 or so tempramental athalons.

Note that the 66mhz FSB celerons were desireable at times, especially the later ones (533mhz, 566mhz, etc), run pretty goddamn good at 100mhz FSB. I know, I have been doing so for years.

WWB

This is not to make a Mac point.. but really the point AMD has been trying to make for a long time. Apple calls this the MEGAHERTZ MYTH and there is a great LONG quicktime movie showing how shorter pipelines with slower clock speeds can be faster than faster processors with really long/deep pipelines... it even describes the pipelines.

Megahertz Myth

You need Quicktime to view it, but it's really an interesting movie.

Originally posted by Stoffel:

Bts personell adviced me 6 months ago

Madmatt told me the 1,4 Athlon with 256 memory and TNT2 32 mb card I bought than will do fine

Faster and more memory is always better though.

I would go for the AMD,they are cheaper

That is EXACTLY what I have! Although I did go with the DDR memory...

Oh... and how did this one escape the lock-down? Normally these threads get somewhat "robust" although the pentium camp is being strangley quiet...

[ April 01, 2002, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Panzer Leader ]

Guest Panzer Boxb

Current rig: 1.33GHz Athlon w/ 512MB PC2100 & GF3

Near Future rig: Athlon XP 2000/2100 w/ 1GB PC2100 (maybe more) and GF4.

Go AMD.