The CMBB intro brawl solved?

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Epée:

Opening (choir) of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture.

Beautiful. And really sets the mood.

Not a bad suggestion.

I'm still plugging for Shostakovitch's 5th. Symphony (the Leonard Bernstein/NY Philharmonic recording).

Michael</font>

Originally posted by Boo_Radley:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Seanachai:

Bah! They should use 'Scotland the Brave'. And no single bloody piper, either. Massed bands.

Once again you prove that you have no sense of the gravity of the situation and you're probably drunk as well.</font>

For those unfamiliar with the Polovtsian Dances, a pretty big piece of it was played in the first Conan the Barbarian movie when the priests were going through the ritual of placing the horn on the statue and during the subsequent battle scene as the statue turns into the big monster. It was almost as though the director scripted that scene to match the different Polovtsian Dances since they play pretty much unaltered through most of the scene.

The Slavic March (Marche Slave) was used as background music in Talonsoft's Battle of Borodino game of the Battleground series.

Originally posted by ASL Veteran:

For those unfamiliar with the Polovtsian Dances, a pretty big piece of it was played in the first Conan the Barbarian movie when the priests were going through the ritual of placing the horn on the statue and during the subsequent battle scene as the statue turns into the big monster. It was almost as though the director scripted that scene to match the different Polovtsian Dances since they play pretty much unaltered through most of the scene.

Really?!? I thought both movies had completely original soundtracks. And the horn thing has to be from the 2nd movie, Conan the Destroyer. The first one had the big snake.

A snippet of Polovtsian Dances can be heard here: 1812/Jarvi/DG (though not the snippet most are probably thinking of for use CMBB). It also has a wonderful choral version of the 1812 and a very good Marche Slave.

I get the feeling Madmatt has already picked out something for CMBB, we'll just have to wait to see what it is. smile.gif

One of the best game themes I've ever heard is the one from Age of Rifles. Really excellent.

- Chris

Originally posted by Wolfe:

Really?!? I thought both movies had completely original soundtracks. And the horn thing has to be from the 2nd movie, Conan the Destroyer. The first one had the big snake.

Do'h, you are correct of course - it was the second movie! redface.gif

Originally posted by Sarge Saunders:

...the Opening (choir) of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture is not a choir but is a multipart cello soli.

I've heard it both ways. The vocal choir was not Tchaikovski's creation but a later interpolation. It's not unreasonable since it is in the first instance a hymn anyway that Tchaikovsky plucked to use in the overture (just as he did with the Marseilles). In one playing, I heard the complete hymn sung as the introduction by a Russian choir (lots of strong basses) and it was incredibly stirring. I regret that I did not record the particulars of the performance as I would have loved to have a copy.

Michael

Originally posted by Epée:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Anyone know where I can get an MP3 of this? I am curious to hear it.</font>
Can't help you with MP3, but I do believe that it is still available on Sony Classics at a very reasonable price.

Michael