Resolution Preferences

No, 1600x1200 is the max, in each direction seperately. But it is not offering resolutions that are not offered by your graphics card driver.

CM certainly has support for different aspect ratios, so 1600x1050 should be doable if you add a custom resolution to your video settings.

I am not sure, however, that CM supports any aspect ratio or whether it is limited to 4:3 and 16:9.

• 3 weeks later...

In order to select resolutions again you need to delete the Prefs file. For a BFC (internet) version of CMBB that would typically be C:\Program Files\CMBB\Combat Mission BB Prefs.

I'm not sure what the best resolution would be for your 22" widescreen monitor. To my knowledge the CM series typically supports 4:3 resolutions with 1600x1200 being the max. Getting close to your display's "native resolution" would probably be best. It may take some experimentation to find the resolution that looks best on your monitor since it is more than likely that CM will not support your display's native resolution.

• 3 weeks later...

It's not absolutely certain which resolutions that CMSF will support, but there's a good chance that a number of widescreen resolutions will be supported. I know for sure that 1920 x 1200 is supported at the moment, but I'm not sure which specific widescreen resolutions will see support since in the past resolutions had to be explicitly supported in the code. Whether that is the case with CMSF or not, I'm also not sure.

• 1 month later...

I am having a hard time making a decision still on my resolution preferences. If I go 4:3 on my 22" the graphics look great but the screen is so freaking small. If I go with native or other wide screen settings it is stretched of course. Is there a 4:3 setting or something in between that would fill more of the screen left to right without losing the top and bottom? I have plenty of room to spare top and bottom too. My native is 1680x1050. Do I need to force some sort of resolution to make the game work? I don't get many choices when I start CMAK or BB when going through all the setting. I have seen some mentioned here that I don't get offered. So I need to know is there a way to update my choices ? I don't want to affect my resolution outside of the game, I just need the selections to show when I am choosing at the start after deleting the preferences file.

Radeon 850xt and a Sceptre x22 gamer widescreen

The closest resolution that the CMx1 series supports to your display's 1680x1050 resolution would be 1280x1024. However the Sceptre x22's specs only lists a couple of resolutions; with the only one that the CMx1 series would use is 1024x768. This may just be a lack of info from Sceptre and your monitor may be capable of 1280x1024 since the specs list a range of frequencies that the monitor is capable of working with (horizontal and vertical).

So with 1280x1024 your vertical resolution will get completely filled, but your horizontal resolution will loose quite a bit. Sceptre's online info about the monitor is lacking and I don't see a way to adjust/manipulate the whether the monitor uses 'scaling' or not. If you're seeing an image that doesn't take up the whole screen when you run below the native resolution then the monitor isn't scaling and instead it is directly mapping the resolution to an appropriate number of fixed pixels. While this results in annoying loss of 'screen real estate' it does result in a sharper picture with the proper aspect ratios. The other option would be to use 'scaling' or 'stretching' of the pixels which could result in some somewhat odd looking images since the pixels would most often be 'stretched' horizontally resulting in some unnaturally flat/wide looking objects. This is one of the trade-offs with widescreen LCD monitors - you can have a nice, bright, sharp image if you run at the native resolution, but many games may not support that specific resolution and thus you'll either suffer a loss of screen real estate or view unnaturally strecthed objects in order to fill up the entire display.

The resolution selection process starts at or near (under) your current desktop resolution. If you're running your desktop at 1680x1050, then I'd guess that CM should offer you 1280x1024 as the first resolution (though possibly at a refresh rate your diplay may not handle). The 1600x1200 resolution that is the CMx1 series' max resolution has too high of a vertical resolution to be used with your display (1200 vs. your display's native 1050).

[ May 02, 2007, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

yes but would that keep it letter boxed? I don't mind the black bars on the side as long as I get the screen filled as much as possible in a 4:3 format.

My manual here says it would run 1280x1084 at 60, 70 0r 75

also says it would run at 1600x1200 @ 60, but I don't get that option when I go through the options at start.

Is it something i need to do with the 850xt? Do I need to set a profile or force resolution or maybe add resolution settings to my list somehow?

I believe, but I don't know for sure since I don't use the program myself, that PBEM Helper may be limited in the resolutions that it will work with. It looks like some of the Visual Basic Scripts it is using have been geared towards particular resolutions in order to work and you may have picked one that it doesn't work with.

I'm not familiar with CM using a 1360x1024 @60Hz resolution. It's possible since there are a few somewhat odd resolutions that CM may support other than the typical 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024 and 1600x1200.

In order to get a resolution offered to you by CM, your desktop needs to be running at or above that resolution. With a missing/deleted Prefs file, CM will go through the resolution selection process starting with either your current desktop resolution or the closest resolution just under it that CM supports. If your desktop is set at 1600x1200 @ 60Hz and you've deleted your Prefs file, then CM should start at that resolution. However it may utilize a refresh rate that your monitor may not support (but your videocard does). This could be something like 1600x1200 @ 120Hz or whatever your videocard may support at this resolution. Such a high refresh rate at this resolution will either result in a garbled screen (usually seen on CRTs) or an onscreen display message saying that the signal is "Out of Range" or something to that effect. What you'll have to do is just wait (without pressing any keys on the keyboard or clicking the mouse) and CM will eventually offer a resolution and refresh rate that should work with your monitor. CM will display a resolution and refresh rate combination for about 5-10 seconds and it will then proceed to the next lower refresh rate until it reaches 60Hz for a particular resolution. At that point it will go down to the next lower resolution that is supported, but again at the highest refresh rate offered by the videocard.

I'm surprised that your monitor will support 1600x1200 @ 60Hz. While that resolution may be within the frequency specs, it doesn't match the actual number of vertical pixels on your display which may result in some of the vertical resolution just being chopped off. Whether this is the top, bottom or both I don't know since there's 150 more pixels that shouldn't be capable of being displayed.