Best scenario for play against the AI?

In your opinion, what are the best scenarios to play against the AI? Also, where can you currently find them? I have downloaded about 400 different scenarios, but it would be helpful to know which ones are the best for single player games without having to play them all to find out. Thanks in advance.

Subvet,

The Scenario Depot has recently added a series of dynamically updated lists, including:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Battles and Operations submitted within the last 10 days

<LI>Top 10 Reviewed Battles and Operations

<LI>Top 10 AI Battles and Operations

<LI>Top 10 PBEM Battles and Operations

When you arrive at the Scenario Depot, click The Lists menu option.

There are TONS of really, really good v. a/i cmb's out there. Just a few of the more recently released ones I've thought to be particularly good are Knockemalldown (imho, the best urban combat cmb out there), Aachen Relief Force, and one of Franko's called "Hell of a lickin" (I think). In each of these the a/i puts up a very good fight, but not to the extent that they cannot be beaten blind.

[edit follows] Ooops, forgot. I think these are all available at Manx's site.

[ 07-27-2001: Message edited by: Agua ]

i've found my own scenario, 'midnight' to be difficult against the ai. you should play it as germans, and if you want a greater challenge, have the ai use default setup.

'midnight' is about a recon battalion of the 12th ss armored division attacking in the dark against some canadians. if memory serves most of the ss units are veteran to elite. there are a ton of armored cars and what makes it dicey are the canadian antitank guns and sherman tanks.

i'm working on a new one for play against the ai.

it represents elements of the 'kiss my ass' (17th ss pzgd) division ('a battalion of the 37th motorized regiment') and remnants of the 3rd battalion, 6th fallschirmjager regiment (2nd para division) attacking on around 13 june 1944 against elements of the u.s. 101st and 82nd airborne, and tanks from the u.s. 2nd armored.

now in this one the ss are mostly all green, with crack paras; they're backed by a stug company (14 stugs). there are 4 motorized ss companies and 2 para companies... all companies are 'understrength.'

believe it or not, in this one there are only 14 german vehicles (the stugs) instead of the usual 50 or 100 or whatever, and the point totals are around 4400 german attacking into just under 7000 american (almost all americans are crack; because they're airborne).

the new mapboard represents the marshy ground south of carentan. it also has hedgerow farms. i'm not sure if such a place existed - from reading about it, it seems the general area was either marsh/woods or hedgerow country and not a combination of both - but the map is interesting nonetheless. it's 'channeled' by irrigation ditches.

for a tougher battle, always set the ai to +3 experience.

andy

Try Maastricht -Tough Tanker.cmb found at CMHQ. Its fun even though I played as the germans. Its supposed to be best played as the Allies as its more of a challenge that way, but its oozes of fun as the germans as well.

For a fun Scenario against the AI I suggest Chance Encounter 2. Its heck of a fun scenario. Its Chance Encounter's map but with different units. 4 Panthers, 2 or 3 Stugs, with infantry force, against like 25 or 26 or so Shermans plus infantry. Loys of fun. A challenge to keep all your Panthers alive.

I will recommend a few of mine, not because they are the best, but I am most familiar with them.

Maastricht is a good one. Thanks, Freak. I like playing that one. It does have replay values.

Here are a few others.

To the Last Man (UK)

Blood and Bocage (US)

Relieving the Rangers (US)

A Rock in the Flood (Polish)

Fiery French (French)

Far from Over (German)

Njimegen (US)

The Wrong Hill (Canadians)

Death of the Titans (Germans)

Bridgehead at Benicourt (Germans)

MidnightMadness at Prum (US)

Painful Progress (US)

These are some I have enjoyed for more than one play. I'm sure the others mentioned are also very good choices so get some variety as far as scenario design. It is interesting to sometime try a different point of view.

Wild Bill

Yeah I love far from over--never get tired of a Sherman roast, after the battle, you can break out the marshmallows.

Try my Super Scenario pack...12 scenarios, all are fun, and have challenging maps. All the scenarios have been fully tested.

Across the Reich Battle Pack(x 5 interconnected battles)

Last Stand-Dalsenburg

Another Day

Encounter at Feldburg

Blood and Soil

How Few Remain

Bloody Hell!

Glory or Death

(All the ones above are 1945--I intend to add six more scenarios to that list, from the St. Lo breakout and other Normandy stuff. Also, not one map is auto-generated, all are entirely orginal, except for another day, were I used a modified map of Small Gain.)

If you want them drop me a line--P.S. you can no longer download scenarios from the CMHQ scenaro depot I always end up sending away for them...Madmatt must have removed the files. :(

-Fieldmarshall

[ 07-28-2001: Message edited by: Fieldmarshall ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ellros:

For real fun.. try Franko's Ironman rules with the scenarios he built for it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you very much. Generally, I find it hard to recommend my OWN scenarios, but there's a few of mine out there that are rumored to be pretty good.

F.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Most of my playtesters lost to "Guns of Navarone" the first time around when playing as Allies against the AI. It is pretty big, and pretty fierce as well.

You can get it at Combat Missions.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

wait, someone won the first time around? i gotta remember not to play that guy...

Hi there ,

I like Stoumont too , but thereĀ“s no need to restart the operation to get dense fog: just download " Stoumont " from the " Ardennes 1944 " scenario page of my CM website. I have included two save game files which give you full fog settings when starting the game.

Cheers

Tom

BTW: my " Me v. AI " alltime favourites:

1.) " Against all odds " by Fred Hartig

2.) " First Clash at Cambes " from the CD

3.) " Hell of a licking " by Franko

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Erwin:

If you're looking for a terrific Operation try Stoumont (and it's worth restarting with random weather till you get the dense fog first turn).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[ 08-04-2001: Message edited by: Tom ]

As a newbie who has been playing avidly for a few weeks to try and gain some experience, I thought I was learning well from gameplay and reading the postings on this website. Then today I tried "Fire and Maneuver" by Bill Hardenberger, and just had my ass Whupped by the AI. I crawled away singed to try some easier scenarios and gain further experience, but I will definitely be back to that scenario again! I have tried to play as much as possible as attacker v AI, as the AI handles Defense better.