Tanks not working or somefink

As I hace not witnessed tanks in action i can only form my opions based on military history. In a book I am currently reading(TANKS, by Patrick Wright) an eye witness describes his first encounter with a tank in WW1.

"They can chew up barbed wire and turn it into munitions. As they run they slash their tails and clear away trees, horses, howitzers, and anything else in the vicinity. They turn over on their backs and catch live shells in their caterpiller feet, and they can easily be adapted as submarines; in fact, most of them crossed the Channel in this guise. They loop the loop, travel forwards, sideways and backwards, not only with equal speed, but at the same time. They spin round like a top, only far more quickly, dig themselves in, bury themselves, scoop out a tunnel, and come out again ten miles away in half an hour"

My question is if the British Mk1 tank could do this why can't my Shermans. Was it too hard to code the tunneling aspect? BTS please fix or do somefink.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

How to adapt the tanks in CM as submarines?

Try Command-option-shift-W.

W for Water, of course

This brings up something interesting...

Anyone know much about the German submarine tanks which were produced (very limited numbers, I believe) for the aborted invasion of the British Isles.

I am not sure how many of these were made, but the idea was for them to drive on the channel floor and surface on the beaches of England. Of course, it was a disaster waiting to happen. And luckily for whomever would have been in those things, it never came to be.

But I was wondering if anyone knows of a good picture of one of these things, or a detailed drawing, would be on the web?

I have read about this thing and never seen it. I don't even remember which tank it was supposed to be designed from...

There was a version of the Pz III that was adapted to snorkel underwater for limited distances and could have been used of Sealion by being launched from barges offshore. There's no way that they could have made it accross the open channel alone. About a regiment's worth was made and they ended up on the Eastern Front, where they could be used to cross some rivers submerged. This was a very risky proposition in any case...if the tank stalled, all the crew could do is flood the tank and swim out using momsen lungs or small O2 breathing tanks.

Originally posted by Das Reich:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MikeyD:

How to adapt the tanks in CM as submarines?

Try Command-option-shift-W.

W for Water, of course

This brings up something interesting...

Anyone know much about the German submarine tanks which were produced (very limited numbers, I believe) for the aborted invasion of the British Isles.

I am not sure how many of these were made, but the idea was for them to drive on the channel floor and surface on the beaches of England. Of course, it was a disaster waiting to happen. And luckily for whomever would have been in those things, it never came to be.

But I was wondering if anyone knows of a good picture of one of these things, or a detailed drawing, would be on the web?

I have read about this thing and never seen it. I don't even remember which tank it was supposed to be designed from...</font>

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

They were operationally employed at the opening of Barbarossa by crossing the Bug river. Never heard what became of them afterwards, but I suspect they were returned to normal configuration and eventually expended in battle. Too bad there isn't a museum example of one knocking about somewhere.

There's a little voice in the back of my mind telling me the Russians scraped one off the bottom of the river not more than a decade or two ago.

Nathanael