One bomb... five tanks?!

derb

I was playing Korsun relief as the Russians and a Stuka pounced on a clump of tanks. He killed one outright and four neighboring tanks had their guns damaged (!) That seemed a little excessive to me. The tanks were "adjacent" but that would have meant several meters apart at least. Has anyone else found a similar effect?

I haven't read or I can't remember what kind of ordanance Stuka's used in East Front, but at least during the Battle of Britain and before that, they had four (or was it just a two?) smaller bomb's in the wings and one larger one in the fuselage.

And one cannon also...

I have a little Stuka on my desk and it has one bomb in each wing and one in the fuselage.

[ November 14, 2002, 06:57 AM: Message edited by: P5 ]

It depends on the load that the Stuka is carrying. It might have been carrying an 1,100lb bomb - big enough to level a building.

Don't forget that 'gun damage' doesn't always mean 'barrel twisted' or the like, but affects components like the gun sights, optics, and so on.

I had something similar happen to me a while back. I was game-ily trying to cram 3 T-34s behind a tiny ridge for a suprise flank attack, they were literally right next to each other.

Cue Stuka and Stuka's bloody great bomb, right on the middle T-34 and all three were outright KO's.

Now whenever I hear the aircraft engine noise on the turn before the strike, I order all AFVs to scatter like mad. Another lesson learned!

I was playing "A warm place to sleep" (my favorite scenario ;) ) when my BT Fast tank holed a Stug from behind right next to the building. The Stug blew bigtime and took out the Czech tank next to him! Big explosion can indeed damage nearby tanks. This is the case where real-world tactics apply to CMBB. Clumping your forces together is a risky thing to do. It can be the difference between a lucky shot killing two and killing two hundred (reminds me of that unlucky Scud hit on the barracks is Desert storm).

It's a question of blast radius - even "close together" tanks are a couple of meters apart. I was merely wondering whether a tactical bomber bomb would be powerful enough to damage guns on tanks, say, 10 meters away. It appears the answer is "yes". Clumper beware!

Derb, 10 meters is a small area when you think about it. It makes complete sense to me that 3 tanks sitting right next to each other would be either destroyed or have damage to the optics or such.

By the way, how does a junior member get a member # of 695? I thought those were only given to charter members like myself?

BTS, fix or do sumfink! (I always wanted to say that smile.gif )

[ November 14, 2002, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Colonel_Deadmarsh ]

I guess to answer the basic question then is yes, the large bomb off a Stuka is quite enough to cause massive concussion damage in its radius. I believe the single 1,100lb bomb on it is bigger than many of the individual bombs dropped from heavy bombers (let's not start talking about bridge busters and what-not, I'm talking average HE bomb). Granted, heavy bombers drop a lot more individual bombs.

Robohn

Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

By the way, how does a junior member get a member # of 695? I thought those were only given to charter members like myself?

Obviously he's a lurker extraordinaire - joined 1999, 9 posts!!

Mind you he's not the best - IIRC there was some guy with a single digit number who made his 3rd or 4th post here a few weeks back!!

Originally posted by derb:

I was playing Korsun relief as the Russians and a Stuka pounced on a clump of tanks. He killed one outright and four neighboring tanks had their guns damaged (!) That seemed a little excessive to me. The tanks were "adjacent" but that would have meant several meters apart at least. Has anyone else found a similar effect?

I had worse than that happen in the same scenario playing double-blind PBEM. I had over a dozen tanks and AG's not quite hub-to-hub but pretty darned close (maybe 150m between the two ends of the ~15 AFV's-- don't ask, it made perfect tactical sense!). When that Stuka flew over his bomb (a 500 kg-- I checked with the scenario editor after our game ended) landed about 40m behind the nearest tank. Nonetheless, the blast managed to kill the commanders on five AFV's and gun-damage four. (One hapless vehicle lost both its C.O. and main gun). The German timing was impeccable, since the armor I'd been braced to receive happened to crest the ridge into LOS the very next turn. Ouch.

Anyone remember the saved CMBO turn that a player posted to show the woe that had befallen him due to airpower?

The guy had practically his entire force eliminated on the first turn from a bomb.

Mark it up as one in the 'Sucks to be you dude' column.

BDH