Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

T-50 ?

Gud

Originally posted by IronChef4:

... they are including some goofy "rocket panzer" or something that was even more rare than the T-50!

Wish is ?

Because goofy "rocket panzer" is outside my vehicle identification capacities, so if you could be a little more specific... I would appreciate.

[ February 27, 2002, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: Tanaka ]

If I were a betting man, I'd guess that BTS is probably concentrating on vehicles with obvious differences in fighting ability first, then adding different vehicles with similar fighting abilities would just be 'gravy' (and we all love extra gravy!).

Like in CMBO, they could've thrown in any number of different truck types or Brit recon armored cars but their fighting abilities wouldn't have been much different than what was already in the game (though I do miss the Staghound). One Russian light tank may turn out to be pretty much like the next Russian light tank, but there ain't nothing out there that duplicates the fighting characteristics of the SturmTiger!

Originally posted by Soddball:

Oooh, harsh on the newbie! Harsh! Harsh!

So what's a T-50 look like?

Check out these model links at Missing Lynx for views of the T-50 (credit to Steve Zaloga and Adam Wilder).

Steve Zaloga T-50 model

Adam Wilder T-50 model

Now, it's back to gluing my T-60 and T-70 tracks together for CMBB. I really am starting to hate small tanks (all those tiny track links).... From now on, all I build are E100 and Maus models!

t_50_01.jpg

Info taken from WW2 Vehicles

L. Troyanov and I. Bushnevov directed a design bureau to create a light tank replacement for the T-26 and BT tanks. Had cast conical shaped turret with commander's cupola and the hull was welded. In the cupola was 6 angle seals with armored blinds over them. The first 2 vehicles were finished at Factory No. 174 in Leningrad in late 1940. After a few modifications it was ready for delivery in April 1941. The driver sat in the center of the forward hull and used a slit in the armor and a turning periscope for driving. The vehicle was to also have a radio set.

It was similar in appearance to the KVs so it was nicknamed Mali Klim or Little Kliment Voroshilov.

The tank was complex and required great resources and was discontinued. It took about as much effort to produce a medium tank as it was to produce the T-50. Crew 4

Physical Characteristics

Weight 29,700 lb, 13.5-14 tons

Length w/gun 18' 3.25", 5.2 m

Length w/o gun

Height 7' 7.25", 2.16 m

Width 8' 8.75", 2.47 m

Ground clearance 0.35 m

Ground contact length

Ground pressure

Turret ring diameter

Armament (mm)

Main 45 mm 1938

Secondary

MG 1, 2: 7.92 mm DT MG

Side arms

Quantity

Main 150

Secondary

MG 4,000, 400

Side arms

Armor Thickness (mm)

Hull Front, Upper 37

Hull Front, Lower

Hull Sides, Upper 37

Hull Sides, Lower

Hull Rear 25-37

Hull Top 12-15

Hull Bottom 12-15

Turret Front 37

Turret Sides 15

Turret Rear 15

Turret Top 12-15

Engine (Make / Model) W-4

Transmission

Capacity 350 liters

Performance

Traverse 360°

Max Speed 33 mph, 52-65 kph

Cross Country 25 mph

Road radius 217.5 miles, 350 km

Turning Radius

Elevation Limits

Fording depth 1.1 m

Trench crossing 2.2 m

Vertical Obstacle 0.7 m

Suspension (Type) Torsion bar

Wheels each side

Return rollers each side

Track length

Tires

Track width

Track centers/tread

Production 63, 65

1941: 48

1942: 15

[ February 27, 2002, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Gud ]

Zitadelle, those chunky square treads are easy! Try DMLs 250 series if you want hard!! BTW, I am considering doing an E-100 soon, but I am REALLY looking for an E-10. Those cockroaches make Hetzers look like ladybugs! Ah, if only they had held out for one more year, then we would have some GREAT tanks to model (joking)

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Zitadelle, those chunky square treads are easy! Try DMLs 250 series if you want hard!! BTW, I am considering doing an E-100 soon, but I am REALLY looking for an E-10. Those cockroaches make Hetzers look like ladybugs! Ah, if only they had held out for one more year, then we would have some GREAT tanks to model (joking)

OK, you have me beat by 20mm of track width (in real scale). Of course in 1/35 scale, 20mm translates into a difference of .02 inches.

At least your drive sprocket was center-aligned. The T-60 and T-70 both have a single front drive sprocket. So, in the modeling world I'm trying to align and glue tracks onto the sprocket and they hang out in midair on one side. :mad:

Also, I think that one of the small resin modelling companies does an E-10. Unfortunately, I can't remember who that is (perhaps Sovereign or ADV??).

The Russians had a number of 45mm guns; it was their standard pre-war AT weapon, used on BTs, T-26s, and towed as the infantry's anti-tank gun. It was a capable ATG gun for its era. They fielded an improved model in 1942. Overall, they continued to use them longer than their effective life.

The early ones could penetrate more than 40mm at 500 yards and were sufficient to deal with all German tanks prior to the Pz III H and Pz IV E models (which had added bolted on front armor; Russians 45mm would need side hits). A bit better than the German 37mm, not quite the equal of the German 50L42.

The 1942 model Russian 45mm was comparable to the 50L42, and could deal with the Pz III H and Pz IV E from the front as long as the range was short, under 500 yards. It was not as powerful as the German 50L60 of the same year.

They also had APCR rounds for both types, which gave far better performance. Enough to deal with anything the Germans fielded early on, from the front, out to medium range. A 1942 model Russian 45mm with APCR would be dangerous to the last Pz III types, and even to the later Pz IV longs and to late StuGs (80mm front) if the range was close enough. The flat plates the common German models used were particularly susceptible to the APCR idea.

But without special ammo, the 45mm was obsolescent by 1943, and reduced to trying for side hits. The Russians fielded a high velocity 57mm ATG (towed) that year, in its place. Much more effective with plain AP than the 1942 model 45mm, and with APCR dangerous even to Tigers. They also pulled the last of their 45mm light tank models, the T-70, in the course of that year, switching the chassis to SU-76.

How similar was the 57mm fielded by the Russians to the US 57mm and the British 6pdr? It seems odd that all three countries ended up with calibres which were similar, even if the weapons were different.

Man, JasonC, that's got to be the shortest post I've ever seen you do. I might get some other people in this thread just to look at it :D

Thanks for the info.

Aren't the 6pdr(British) and the 57mm(U.S.) the same gun? I seem to recall having read that somewhere.

IIRC the only difference was that the 6pdr was issued tungsten cored ammunition.

The 380mm gun on the Sturmtiger fires rocket powered shells. The holes around the muzzle are to allow the exhaust gases to escape.

It's an armoured vehicle.

It fires rockets.

It's so silly it's great.

Rocket Panzer seems like a perfectly accurate descriptions

(Unless things change, this will be in CMBB, at least that's what BTS said in some interview)

There is nothing odd about the 57mm "coincidence". 57mm is 2 1/4 inches.
Why would the Russians use an imperial measurement :confused: I'm not saying you're wrong Jason, but the connecton seems a bit weak from what I can see.

Also, I thought the British gun was developed around the weight of shot, rather than a specific calibre?

FWIW.

Regards

JonS