The Nordic Championships (Part II)

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terve!

Just a little bump here. Is everything progressing smoothly? No missing players?

Nabla has finished his latest version of the scoring program. There are three variables in the formula that Nabla and I will be determining the best values for. We are using the almost completed results of the Wild Bill tournament to aid us in this determination. The scores of this tournament are NOT being considered in this process. IOW, we aren't manipulating the formula to achieve a desired outcome. smile.gif The Wild Bill tournament will be decided using an older version of the Nabla formula. Your scoring formula will be better because we have the Wild Bill tourney to analyze. ;)

Fight On!

Treeburst155 out.

Still 1 down, 4 to go.

Games with Torbjörn and Tero will certainly make it before the deadline. One with Cogust too, if we'll get the turns flying even at moderate speed.

Kingfish has replaced Loke, and luckily is very active player when it comes to completing turns. Still, I'm no too optimistic about making it before Valentine's day. We'll do our best!

-Lunael

If Valentines day is the deadline then I can guarantee you I will not finish in time. I have completed one game, well underway in two more, about a quarter of the way in the fourth, but have not started game 5 (Gotta get up). In fact, I don't even know who my opponent is for game 5. Perhaps he will read this and contact me to get the ball rolling.

Section III opponents: I check my e-mails twice a day, so your file is usually turned around within 24 hours. If you don't hear from me in a day or two please e-mail me (or post here).

[ February 02, 2002, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Kingfish ]

Games against Cogust and Stefan finished.

Games against Lunael and Kingfish progressing nicely and they should be finished in time.

Torbjörn keeps dropping out of sight for days at a time and we may have to ask for a continuance for this game.

Originally posted by Ari Maenpaa:

I agree with Juha, a sneak peek at the results would be nice.

Wouldn't it be more fun to play until the end with no disturbing feelings of security? :D

It shouldn't come as a surprise that I vote for blackout. Like the concept of (possibly) unbalanced scenarios, this would keep people on their toes. It's only a couple of weeks more...

But the decision is really up to Treeburst155.

I see things are going/progressing nicely here - good! Also noticed that a dangerous shark called KingFish has pitched up in the cold Nordic waters, obviously thinking that warm currents are flowing around the Baltic! ;)

Sincerely

Charl Theron

header_Winelands02.gif

-----------------

Fish must swim thrice - once in the water, a second time in the sauce, and a third time in wine in the stomach.

-- John Ray, English naturalist (1627 - 1705)

Well, on the second thought I must admit that there are some potential problems with a sneak peek. If I have unfinished games going on and find out that my performance wasn't too good in one of the finished scenarios, that would probably affect my decisions in fortcoming turns. Probably I would be more likely to take risks just to cover the earlier failure.

I agree, no sneak peeks.

Ari

Originally posted by WineCape:

I see things are going/progressing nicely here - good! Also noticed that a dangerous shark called KingFish has pitched up in the cold Nordic waters, obviously thinking that warm currents are flowing around the Baltic! ;)

Well, he just managed to pull a rabbit out of my arse in the Meeting of the Devils scen by convincing the AI to quit 5 turns ahead of schedule and when his troops were hurting more than mine but still holding on to the flags.

Talk about a lucky break. I may have to demand a recount... smile.gif

Well, he just managed to pull a rabbit out of my arse in the Meeting of the Devils scen
Whoa there! I joined this tourney to help you guys out. Treeburst said nothing about pulling things out of people's arses!

I may have to demand a recount...
I live in West Palm Beach, so you may want to rethink that ;)

Once you have completed all five games I will send you the updated results sheet containing the final scores for all finished games. If you have finished, and want this information, email me. Then I can simply "reply" and attach the file. The file is in .wks (Microsoft Works) format. If this will not work for you let me know in the email so I can send you a .txt version of instead.

Once all 24 players have completed a scenario I will post the results for that scenario here on the forum. This won't happen for awhile yet.

Treeburst155 out.

Originally posted by Kingfish:

Whoa there!

I meant that as a compliment. Mostly. smile.gif

I joined this tourney to help you guys out. Treeburst said nothing about pulling things out of people's arses!

I trust you are willing to shaft any opponent so is it really that different to pull something out than shove something in ? :D

I live in West Palm Beach, so you may want to rethink that ;)

If you can provide the transportation I will bring the beer and the pretsels. tongue.gif

Originally posted by DrAlimantado:

If you join a Nordic championship, you might want to adjust to the Nordic cultural traditions. You know, cultural sensitivity and all that. :D

Outsiders might call it cultural IN-sensitivity. :D

We take things like seeing ones parents naked as being totally normal for crying out loud. smile.gif

And I at least think seeing splatter gore in TV and movies is more obscene than some glimses of pubic hair and other human reproductive organs. ;)

Damn....I'm beginning to suspect people just join the tourneys out of curiosity about the scenarios and disappear once they get them. If that's the case they should know they will NEVER again be allowed into a tourney I manage.

The problem of the disappearing officers will not happen in future tournaments. I will only allow those who have a good tourney record to compete. My list of reliable tourney players is plenty long now. The general population will no longer waste my time or yours. ;)

Keep me informed on the Torbhen situation. He may just find his way back to the friendly lines.

Fight ON!!

Treeburst155 out.