Should I buy CM:BO??

I need advice. I love war strategy games but this one is 2 years old. I've heard many good things but is it worth it for me to still buy it or should I wait for CM:BB or another release? Can you still get this in the store or only online? Thanks for the help! :confused:

Buy CMBO-- it has managed to have nearly infinite replayability and covers a very different part of the war than CMBB. If you look around here, many of the people on the board have been here since the demo days (and before) and are still playing CMBO.

Originally posted by SixGunsSouth:

I need advice. I love war strategy games but this one is 2 years old. I've heard many good things but is it worth it for me to still buy it or should I wait for CM:BB or another release? Can you still get this in the store or only online? Thanks for the help! :confused:

if you order it now

it WILL arrive before CMBB is available, that is almost a certianty.

It would be good practice for CMBB

if you like to command small battions and companies and platoons and individual tanks, then this is the game for you.

if not you can save you money and wait until Sept 20 for CMBB to come out.

its your call.

its only available online unless you buy the CDV copy in stores in Europe. Since I See you are from the USA you might as well order it today and start waiting for it to arrive smile.gif

(that is the first stage of the CMBO asCMilation process ;) )

-tom w

If it were me, I'd buy CMBO right now anyway, but that's 'cause I've been playing it for a year and I know how good it is - waiting for two months for CMBB without CMBO to tide me over would be torture.

CMBB certainly looks like it's going to be a big leap forward from CMBO, but CMBO is far from outdated - it's still pretty cutting edge as far as it's game mechanics and play features. The graphics are a little bit dated now, but 3rd party graphics mods (which are free) can go a long way towards improving the look of the game.

I guess it all comes down to how patient you are, and how much you want to be able to play both the Western and Eastern front. CM:BB will cover the Eastern Front only - it will neither be backwards compatible with CMBO nor will it include any of the American and Commonwealth units in CMBO (except for those vehicles sent to Russia on Lend-Lease).

I, for one, will probably revisit CMBO occasionally after CMBB comes out - I can't imagine leaving my GIs and Tommies entirely. I imagine the vast majority of my time will be spent on CMBB, though.

It's also possible that CMBO will come down in price after the release of CMBB. Your guess is as good as mine on this.

Also probably depends on how much money is in your gaming budget. CMBO is certainly still worth the money, but if buying CMBO now would put you in a pinch for buying CMBB in September, I'd probably hold off.

Cheers,

YD

Buy it now. Don't think about it, just do it. It's been in my cd-drive for the last 2 years, only being removed a couple of times to burn some mixed music cd's for parties.

Best damn $$$ I ever spent on computer-related gear of any kind. And I mean any kind .

Originally posted by CrapGame:

Buy it now. Don't think about it, just do it. It's been in my cd-drive for the last 2 years, only being removed a couple of times to burn some mixed music cd's for parties.

Best damn $$$ I ever spent on computer-related gear of any kind. And I mean any kind .

I have to echo this (except a little less than 2 years and I don't burn CD's for parties

:D )

If its a question of you not having the $ on or after Sept. 20, for CMBB, that's a bit tougher question, but assuming you can scrounge up an addition $50 (or whatever) between now and then, DEFINITELY, purchase CMBO.

Originally posted by CrapGame:

I second this. CM:BO made every other computer game I had ever played seem as thought provoking as Pac Man. CM:BB will be great, I'm sure, but CM:BO IS great right now! If you have any interest at all in the Western Front after D-Day, order CM:BO today. And welcome to the collective! :D

So can you tell your units exactly where to go and what to do? I mean can you say "You go here and then throw a grenade and you lay down and provide covering fire".

I'm serious. I want to know the level of control.

Thanks

download the demo

its Free

Play it

it is available here:

http://www.battlefront.com/downloads.html

try it

you'll like

we can't possibly answer all your questions.

you need to see for your self.

Play the Valley of Terror

Play FULL Fog of War

and lead the Americans on their Attack

And hold on to your seat for the ride of your life!

tell me that is NOT the kind of game you want to buy?

-tom w

[ July 19, 2002, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Ok, first off, if you are feeling timid about the game, download the demo. It is a pale imitation of the full thing, but it is still miles above any other tactical wargame.

If you liked East/West Front: You'll LOVE this game.

If you liked Steel Panthers: You'll LOVE this game.

If you liked Close Combat: You LOVE this game.

It is the best. It has all the depth of Squad Leader and all the coolness that modern computers can bring to the table, including real 3D landscapes and a fightin' AI.

It depends what you like more, the Eastern Front or Western Front. If you like Western Front combat then buy it because it will be a while before BTS revisits the Western Front with a new engine rewrite. If you don't like the Western Front, then simply wait for CMBB. It'll have better and more features in all aspects and you get to play with Soviet and German equipment which you won't find in CMBO or any CMBO sequel. I you like both, then buy CMBO immediately. You will be kicking yourself in the head for not having bought it sooner.

So can you tell your units exactly where to go and what to do? I mean can you say "You go here and then throw a grenade and you lay down and provide covering fire".

Thanks

The best way to explain this is to tell you to download the demo and try it. You'll find out very quickly.

(Edited because my typing is too slow.)

[ July 19, 2002, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Dave H ]

The demo is a good place to start. If you have the cash and like the demo I say get CMBO now and CMBB when it comes out.

There are a lot of good AARs out there that will give you an idea of what to expect. They pretty much sold me on the game.

Ok I will download the Demo and will play it this weekend. Thanks Guys!

Whattya mean? !!

Download it now!

play it at Lunch on your break or whatever

tell us what you think smile.gif

no High presure sales here

oh NO we wouldn't do that! :D

(just joking)

-tom w

I'm so game shy now because I have bought many crap games like MORROWIND. In my opinion it's dreadfully boring. I have found over the years (the hard way) that I am a true War Strategy gamer, especially the WWII era (that is when I can peel my bulging, blood-shot eyes from the History Channel). I do prefer the Western Front, but obviously if I like CM:BO will be dying to get CM:BB. I'll let you all know what I think next week of the demo. I just know that I love war strategy games like Warcraft, Civilization II (a classic) and others. I even paid to play WWII:Online for several months and was there from the very beginning (D-Day) but there just wasn't enough players to keep me interested I guess.

Thanks

Well...not exactly, as you will see if you d/l the demo.

You can and do control much, but not grenade throws. If an enemy unit gets close enough you will see grenades being thrown. This is a graphic representation of close combat drill. You will also see the grendes fly when a tank or other vehicle wanders to close and the inf. squad is capable of making a close assault.

Oh BTW - Yes you should pick up CMBO now.

To the thread owner:

My friend, if this game can convince a not-a-serious-wargamer-fan like me to NOT remove the CMBO CD for 2 years from my HDD, then you are in serious trouble if this enigma called Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord ever lands in your Post Box!

This game has me parting with stashed/stored wine in my wine cellar on a very regular occasion. It is so go that you want to share it, just as with wine, with your friends...

Welcome to the CM community.

[ July 19, 2002, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: WineCape ]

I'm so game shy now because I have bought many crap games like MORROWIND. In my opinion it's dreadfully boring.

That is a matter of perspective. I usually play nothing but wargames, but I bought Morrowind to see what an RPG was like and I have been addicted to it for the last two weeks, much as I was for the first year or so that I had CMBO. ;) I suppose that if I had played every RPG that came along I would also find Morrowind boring. I could turn that around and tell you that if you never played a wargame and had any interest in the subject you would be fascinated by CMBO, but that would be selling CMBO short since CMBO is unlike any other wargame that has been released. Having played just about every wargame released in the past ten years, I was still blown away by CMBO and boring is the last word I would use to describe it. The game has infinite replayability and can surprise you just when you thought you had seen everything. Unless you have absolutely no interest in wargaming, CMBO is a no brainer.