Get a load of this CMBB box art !

I rececently spotted a new book on the Amazon.com site that I had had an involvement in. The displayed cover was wrong-wrong-wrong. I suspect if you want your product on their site they expect to be supplied with a cover shot whether you have a finished cover or not! Can make for some rather entertaining half-baked-covers being displayed.

I wonder what the history is behind that Frenchie CMBB shot.

Originally posted by Kilgore:

The CDV website can be quite difficult to navigate around, and has conflicting information on it. It seems that the Euro version of CMBB (CM2 :confused: ) will be relaesed later than in the US.

Well it could just be that it takes some time for CDV to ship the game to the UK, and thus it will not hit the shops until the beginning of october. That is ok I guess. But I am a bit puzzled about to why the English Euro version is not directly shipped to the countries that will not have a localised version.

As things looks now, if I want the game within the forseeable future, I have to mailorder the game and I will get the CDV version. Aaah, the best of two worlds. :D

M

Originally posted by Thin Red Line:

Here the original word is ' debarquement ', which means landing and, as you noticed, has nothing to to with CMBB. Collapse would be ' effondrement '.

All the best

Nicolas

It could also mean unloading, but neither makes sense in the context. Incidentally, Software First has a similar blurb, in English, that use the word capitulation Don'cha just lurv a language grog thread smile.gif .

[ August 28, 2002, 03:22 AM: Message edited by: Firefly ]

hmmm

all of this makes me think.im sitting in germany, and i want to have the original cmbb from the battlefront.com site.the one and only...no fuzzy localized stuff with wrong screenies or poo`ed on manual etc...

it may sound naive or so, but can i order it the normal online way, just as the rest of none europe-world?and if i can, how long will it take to arrive?i never ordered stuff from bfc before.

Originally posted by dizee:

hmmm

all of this makes me think.im sitting in germany, and i want to have the original cmbb from the battlefront.com site.the one and only...no fuzzy localized stuff with wrong screenies or poo`ed on manual etc...

it may sound naive or so, but can i order it the normal online way, just as the rest of none europe-world?and if i can, how long will it take to arrive?i never ordered stuff from bfc before.

The short answer is: unfortunately no. As far as I understand things, CDV has made a business deal with BFC to exclusively distribute CMBB (or CM2 as CDV calls it for some reason) within Europe, this means that BFC cannot mailorder to Europe. There has been some complaints about this from some Europeans who wants the US version of the game. But hopefully BFC will increase the sales and profits through the CDV deal, something that will be beneficial to all of us in the long run. One solution is to have an friend who is non-European to mailorder the US-version, and then have it sent to you. A cumbersome method, but it works. If I remember correctly, there has already been several people volunteering to do this for other people on the board.

I hope that this answers your question

M

Originally posted by DrAlimantado:

As far as I understand things, CDV has made a business deal with BFC to exclusively distribute CMBB...

But that only applies to the peecee version. Any Mac users still have to purchase theirs directly from BFC. smile.gif

...(or CM2 as CDV calls it for some reason)...
Perhaps because it is so referred to here on this board, and by BFC as well.

Michael

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

The french never used the word invasion for the allied landings in France in '44. Simply because an "invasion" is usually done by enemy forces, not the liberating ones.

That's why the french call (and ever since june '44 called) it Débarquement.

So if ParaBellum's statement is true regarding the French, then either no one edited the article on CMBB or they really dont remember when D-Day was,(which I find hard to believe) or they really dont know what they were writing about in the review, which would just indicate shoddy business practices. In any case, I'm glad I can order the game directly from BFC, and not have to deal with "Euro Quirks" :cool:

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

It is? All the official material that I have seen from BFC, press release, etc, has named the game as Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin (CMBB). I am sure that CDV has a perfectly good reason to name CMBB Combat Misision 2 instead. But it will lead to confusion, and I am a bit puzzled by the move. But then, that is just me.

M

Well the French text is Revivez les grands batailles de la 2nde guerre mondiale : de l’opération Barbarossa (Europe de L’Est) jusqu’au débarquement de 1945, de la mer Noire jusqu’au cercle polaire Arctique.

Which I would translate as Re-live the great battles of the second world war: from Operation Barbarossa (Eastern Europe) to the [something] of 1945, from the Black Sea to the Arctic Circle.

We're discussing what the [something] is, because: a)landing, unloading and dismissal don't make sense in the context and B) we're bored smile.gif .

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

It is? All the official material that I have seen from BFC, press release, etc, has named the game as Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin (CMBB).</font>

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

That's in the press release. smile.gif I said nothing about that. On the Board, right here, it is frequently referred to as CM2, and I am fairly certain that in the past members of BFC have used that terminology here as well. In fact, they may have begun it, although that I can not be certain of. As much as you frequent this board, I am greatly surprised that this would have escaped your notice, my friend.

Michael

Being a frequent visitor of this board is no guarantee of any form of reading comprehension ability or any brain activity at all. :D Of course I have seen people mention the game, here on the board, as CM2, but I have always taken that as a sign of laziness than anything else. A type of 'Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin is too long and complicated so I will call it CM2 instead'-type of thing. But answer me this: If BFC intends to name the game CM2, why is it mentioned as CMBB in the pressrelease? ;)

One of these days I will get a life. Most probably it will happen when I get a copy of the game, whatever it is named. Good god, I am a sad sod. Back to work. :D

M

watch out for my über "waffen grenadiere".they are going to take you down in no time....

cant wait for the "teilweiser durchschlag am front turm kein ernster schaden" either

*sigh*

typos

[ August 28, 2002, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: dizee ]

Originally posted by dizee:

watch out for my über "waffen grenadiere".they are going to take you down in no time....

cant wait for the "teilweiser durchschlag am front turm kein ernster schaden" either

*sigh*

typos

you mean the CDV version actually has the detailed hits translated? "durchschlag" ...that sounds is so... so... unusual.

ParaBellum, don't the french refer to that famous "incident" that happened in normandy in in mid-1944 simply as "Le clash"? all the road signs to the monuments there say "Le Clash". Le Clash monument here, le clash museum there.

Originally posted by Goanna:

Well, frankly, it's a bit more than just bashing box art and also shows precisely why BFC were correct originally in their marketing strategy.

Why must people always bring me into conversations, I don't even know you.

Well to actually add something to this thread, as long as the game comes out they can put a Masochist Betty Boop and Fritz the Cat saying "Combat Mission: Barbie to Burly" on the cover and I wouldn't care.

Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

ParaBellum, don't the french refer to that famous "incident" that happened in normandy in in mid-1944 simply as "Le clash"? all the road signs to the monuments there say "Le Clash". Le Clash monument here, le clash museum there.

"Débarquement" is the term for the June 6th landings in Normandie. Maybe the whole fighting in the ensuing weeks is called "le clash". Maybe it's just a marketing issue, since noone else obviously knows what a "débarquement" is... :D

I've talked many times with French about WW2 and whenever I talked about "l'invasion" I got soon corrected.

Being a frequent visitor of this board is no guarantee of any form of reading comprehension ability or any brain activity at all. :D

Hmmm, yes, of course. I should have taken that into account. I suppose my brain must have ceased functioning at that point...

Of course I have seen people mention the game, here on the board, as CM2, but I have always taken that as a sign of laziness than anything else. A type of 'Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin is too long and complicated so I will call it CM2 instead'-type of thing.
But of course! Don't we all wish to slither through life with a minimum of effort? I assure you I certainly do.

But answer me this: If BFC intends to name the game CM2, why is it mentioned as CMBB in the pressrelease? ;)
Well of course they don't mean to call it that officially, silly. That would be soooo declassé. It's just that when they come on the board they are as lazy as the rest of us swine. QED.

Michael